“Front Desk so helpful”

Ranked #126 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston
“Front Desk so helpful”
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I waited too late to purchase my BW Travel Cards to pay for my hotel room before we left for our annual shopping weekend.. So, I ordered them online on the breakfast room computer (free internet use- wonderful hotel feature) but didn't realize it was a Saturday, so they couldn't be processed. I will find out their names again, but the day manager on Sunday 12/5/10 was very helpful & put extra effort into getting it resolved. I really appreciate his helpful attitude when I was upset. I believe it was Amar who followed through & was able to use my card when it had been processed,& refund my credit card!!!! Now the hotel-they fixed the water issues on the top floor-great this year. Location is perfect for us. A clean, spacious suite for us to unwind between shopping-eating-plays. Breakfast room is great vaue added. Can start your day early & on a full stomach !! We already booked next year. Thanks to all.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
robg64, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hospitality House, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Thank you so much for your review and patronage. We are so happy your experience was positive and memorable.

Our assistant manager is so appreciative to see what you have written here as is the whole management team and staff. We all strive to offer a world class service experience to our guests. ...

Thank you so much for your kindness and consideration.

Robert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Legal
Reviewed 5 March 2011

I have spent many nights in hotels and apartments in numerous cities and countries. This hotel meets the qualities of both hotel and apartment in one. Our room was an apartment in a hotel. The cost was similar and pocket friendly, especially considering its ideal location. It is not a five star hotel but its close all things considered.

Because of the employees, the word 'hospitality' in the name of the hotel exceeds the true definition. We stayed in this clean comfortable and tastefully decorated hotel for 8 nights. We were fortunate to get acquainted with many of the staff, who shared their hospitality and humor so generously with us.

Sam checked us in and went above and beyond to meet my complicated needs. Each day he made certain we were comfortable.

Eddie lent me his umbrella the first day I encountered rain, completely unprepared, as i was leaving for a meeting at the UN. His recognized I was unprepared and lacked time to search for an umbrella, so he OFFERED me his personal umbrella. I was quite moved by this unexpected generous offer.

Bianca works the equivalent of two or more employees, plus while she is diligently working she patiently answered the many questions I peppered her with daily. She always responded with patience wit and intelligence while she worked and I leisurely browsed the computer. Her young colleague, whose name escapes me, was equally as friendly and engaging.

Tom gave us many laughs with his witty and engaging sense of humor .

Joe was as warm as his colleagues and especially patient with the younger members of our team.

The cleaning staff were especially accommodating ,and patient . They perform their job very well, both as housekeeping and ambassadors for the hotel.

In short,we felt like we were at home. At the end of the work day or leisure days off, whoever was on shift greeted us warmly. The staff (including those whose names escape me) in this hotel are not just professionally friendly they are sincere and genuinely nice people who extended their warmth. Because of this, we will not forget this stay in New York.

Location- this is my fourth stay in New York . I can comfortably state this was the best location. The hotel is within walking distance from many attractions. For those requiring public transport was a block away. ( New york Public transport-subway in particular is surprisingly easy to navigate.) For those who may be so inclined the hotel is a few blocks from St Agnes, a beautiful catholic church with numerous daily mass times . St. Patrick's cathedral is also a short walk from the hotel.

Finally, while the hotel is ideal for business travelers, based on the above plus- the option for a suite with a separate bedroom at an affordable price -the elevator security- the continental breakfast for cost cutting measures- all combined make this an ideal family friendly hotel.

Thanks to all for the memorable stay, we hope to return in 2012!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TheresaLegal
robg64, Manager at Best Western Plus Hospitality House, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Thank you for this wonderful review!! We are glad you enjoyed your time with us...

I will be sure to let Bianca, Tom, Sam and Eddie know how appreciated they are for the service they extended you. They are top shelf!!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Thanks again for your kindness and consideration.

portland oregon
Reviewed 4 March 2011

The hotel is nicely situated and certainly priced right but the staff is incredibly noteworthy from Arman, Ed, Tommy/maintenance house keeping crew, as well as Sam, who is always the perfect gentleman, polite and more than competent - these guys are all a step above and help to make the stay pleasant and relaxed. They should all get a bump in compensation.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank bushido72
Thank you for your kind review and patronage of our hotel.

Sam is the "man" !! That's Great! I will be sure to share your positive review with him. Sam is terrific and an invaluable part of our service experience. He is a humble and genuine person who looks after the guests like his own family. He is a great tribute to the company and management. Thank you for mentioning him. I will be sure to give him the praises he deserves in light of your review.

Once again, Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you soon!!!

Warm Regards
invereness scotland
Reviewed 24 February 2011

We stayed here in February for 4 nights in . From the moment we arrived we were greeted by friendly helpful and above all happy smiling staff. The manager Sam was more than helpful and pleasent at all times going out of his way to chat and be of any assistance, all the staff were lovely and kind , it was a real home from home. The rooms are huge and very clean , the breakfast was great and free which is a bonus in NY. The hotel is central to all the major attractions and close to subways. All in all i would highly recommend this hotel to my friends , and the staff are to be highly praised for always being so pleasent ,they are a real credit to the manager who it is obvious to see takes a great deal of pride in the hotel and the moral of his staff . Well done Sam and all the staff for making our stay an enjoyable one. P.S, Even the cab that they use to take passengers to the airport was like a friend by the end of the 30min trip.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank vicca94
Thank you so much for your review and patronage. We are so happy your experience was memorable.

Thank you for your comments about Sam and all the staff. I will be sure to share your appreciate and managements' for their fine efforts. We always do try to show and extend the warmth of home to our guests.

Thank you so much for your kindness and consideration.

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 February 2011

We have recently traveled across the country and have never found such a terrific concierge as Sam. Very helpful and pleasant. The hotel is great, rooms somewhat noisy, consider it part of the ambiance of the street noise of NYC. The entire staff was friendly and the rooms very clean and spacious. You can walk to Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Theaters, Grand Central Station, etc.. Great spot if you plan on site seeing. Because of Sam we will always stay at Hospitality House when we visit NYC.
Sam is not only an ambassador for the hotel, he is also an ambassador for New York City, and the United States of America!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank meemo56
robg64, Manager at Best Western Plus Hospitality House, responded to this review, 25 February 2011

Sam is a wonderful person and was recently nationally recognized by our brand for his service skills. I will be sure to recognize and thank Sam for making your trip a great one!! I have to agree that he is truely an ambassador for our hotel, NYC and the USA!!

We are concerned at urban noise and are looking into other possible solutions. We currently provide ear plugs and white noise machines in every room for our guests comfort.

You have made our staff and management very happy by taking the time to post this here. We look forard to seeing you agin soon!!

Thanks again for your kindness and consideration.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 February 2011

I felt it wasn't what I was told it was, salesperson (phone sales from large travel reservations co.) did a quick sales job. Told me it would have king size bed, it was a queen. The lobby was under renovation. Heating element in room was falling down, there was a big multi-storied parking lot behind, with cars honking horns and squeaking tires; I didn't need the kitchen on this trip. Yes, it was a large space for 4 for uptown NYC, for the price, to be fair. However, I've just found a bedbug!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Antie123
First and foremost we are disheartend by this posting and am sorry that you feel your visit was not what was expected. Upon reading it its difficult to discern what you were told by your agency exactly. I would like an opprtunity to discuss your stay directly if possible. Our only wish is that you had talked with us during the course of your stay about it. We pride ourselves on a positive experience for our guests and on constant improvement of that experience. Considering our commitment and other posts by previous guests it's hard to fathom what you post here.

We at Hospitality House never had any report of what is described above. One would think had you found what is claimed here you would have reported it to us? We have a very vigorous program of inspections and prevention by a nationally recognized firm for that and we have no such problems , thank goodness. To be honest , it was a bit of a shock to read this after never hearing from you about it. We have had no reports before or after your visit for any room.

We appreciate your feedback and would like to hear from you to discuss it if possible so that we might address your concerns.

Thank you for your consideration. Warm Regards
Rob Gaeta - GM
Columbia, MD
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I visited with 3 colleagues for a conference. When we arrived, I asked if I could exchange the suite I had booked (with a queen bed and pullout sofa) for a suite with 2 beds and a pullout. Front Desk clerk Sam Shara smiled and graciously asked if I wanted the penthouse -- for no extra charge. So, we got a 2-bedroom, 2-bath suite (that included a pullout sofa, full kitchen, dining area and living room) at a fabulous price.

All of the staff we encountered were friendly -- the desk clerk, maintenance man, even the man who kept replenishing the well-varied continental breakfast foods. They seemed geniunely pleased to be working there and make us feel quite welcome.

The hotel is a renovated apartment or condo building with new, marble baths, plus old-style touches, like radiators. It's in a great location with plenty of restaurants nearby and is a relatively short walk to places like Broadway, Times Square and United Nations. i would absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business