We chose this hotel because we knew we'd be staying in NYC for four nights and wanted room to spread out, and wanted to try to sleep of course. We're here for our daughter's 21st birthday and it's our first time to NYC. I have mixed feelings about the hotel. I know all the buildings here are old, and steam heat has its own issues and can be noisy. I grew up in an old home with radiators and steam heat. You do get used to the banging noise of the pump system and the clanging of the pipes and radiators after a while, but it's constantly there. We had to turn the radiators off (as much as possible, that is) to cool down the rooms to a temperature where we could actually sleep. The A/C units are window units, and I know they can be noisy as I've lived with those as well, so I'm not going to complain about the noise. Actually I sleep better with noise like that, and I need the room cool, so that worked out fine for me.
The kitchen is a full one which is very nice, but the surface light in the microwave is burned out and even when we brought it to the attention of the management it wasn't fixed. The light in the hallway was burned out and again a staff member even came up but it wasn't fixed. Not a very big deal since this is a penthouse suite with two bedrooms and we have plenty of light, but I'm still surprised the lights weren't replaced.
The bathrooms are seriously too small. Almost no counter space and little room to move around. The water pressure in the shower fluctuates, as does the water temperature, so be forewarned. There is no tub up here - only two full bathrooms with large showers.
The bedrooms are interesting. One is barely large enough to move around the bed and there are only two nightstands. No dresser or chair to put a suitcase or other belongings off the floor. We took the clothes drying racks out of the closet in the other bedroom and put our suitcases on them. I don't put things on the floor of hotel rooms if I can help it. Speaking of floors, they're hardwood which is really nice, and there are rugs as well. The other bedroom is larger, but again only one nightstand and a stand for the TV. Not even a chair.
The TV's are nice - flatscreens and the reception is good. The Internet is blazing fast and very reliable - a plus for most of us. There is a safe but we had to get a staff member to come up and unlock it because some dolt before us locked it. DUH, people. Have some consideration and leave the safe unlocked for the next guest, okay? They don't know the passcode you set, idiot.
The breakfast is free but really poor. Two mornings in a row now sausage and rubbery poached eggs. The room is seriously too small to accommodate more than a few people at once comfortably, and it only took two obnoxious teens who seemed to be unaware there were others waiting in line to get to things, who were here both mornings now, monopolizing everything from the waffle maker to the milk dispenser for cereal, to ruin the experience.
I've read the other reviews about the street noise and the parking garage in the back of the property, but because we're up this high with a private, wrap-around balcony and a ten foot high concrete wall around it, we can't hear anything in the back (our penthouse faces East 49th Street) and the street noise would be preferable to the banging and clanging of the pump system and the steam heat.
The staff has been great so far. Helpful and smiling. Housekeeping only freshened up one bedroom yesterday so we'll see what happens this morning. And they replaced our coffee maker with a smaller one and we still don't know why. On the other hand, we had complementary cookies and water upon arrival, and the coffee itself was replaced, and there is 24 hour free coffee and beverages down in the breakfast room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- While visiting one of the most extraordinary cities in the world, we invite you to live like a New Yorker in the center of it all at the award winning BEST WESTERN PLUS Hospitality House. Relax in your very own exclusive Manhattan apartment-style suite designed with all the comforts of a large home without sacrificing any of the benefits of hotel amenities and services. Imagine yourself stepping out of your front door and being in the center of it all, with all New York's spectacular major attractions just a short walking distance away. While resting in your suite all of the fantastic sights and sounds that make New York City so great are just outside your window. Hotel guests especially appreciate spreading out in their very own apartment suite after a full day out in our thrilling city. No other New York City hotel can compare to our oversized rooms and great location. We're ideally located near Times Square, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Central Park and any number of subway and transportation hubs. Our expansive apartment-style suites are designed to make your experience convenient and comfortable. As you enter one of our luxuriously appointed suites, you are warmly welcomed with a large living room, full kitchen, dining area, separate private bedroom(s) and a well appointed bathroom(s). The apartments all come complete with oak wood flooring, 11 foot ceilings, and noise reduction windows. All of our oversized suites are three and four room full apartments designed for luxury living. This property is designed to be a home away from home with fully outfitted kitchens, stone counters, stove, oven, microwave, dishwasher, and kitchenware for up to six people. Pillow top mattresses and full bathroom botanical amenities are offered to all our guests. Both of our Penthouses have beautiful outdoor balconies in addition to all the rest. And it doesn't end there, The BEST WESTERN PLUS Hospitality house dishes up complimentary breakfast daily. Enjoy piping hot eggs and made to order waffles, cereals, yogurts, fresh fruits, breads, pastries, (delivered daily), juices and 100% Arabica coffee. Our hotel offers complimentary Wi-Fi and a local fitness center access that keeps you connected and up with your fitness routine. Free fitness facilities and classes like yoga, kettlebell, and Pilates, basketball court, weights, machines, aerobics, sauna, steam room, and two swimming pools are all available to our adult guests. Free local telephone calls from your room and free newspaper at your door every weekday are just a few additional perks. Our award winning world class multilingual service team stands ready to anticipate anything you might need 24 hours a day. Read the variety of free newspapers or use our free computer/printers or just to come mingle with the other guests in our public lobby hospitality suite. Enjoy free tea or coffee there throughout the day. Take a break on our outdoor public deck that offers a quiet peaceful area during warmer months, complete with flowers and benches. Book your ideal New York City dream experience at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Hospitality House today! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Best Western Plus Hospitality House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Hospitality House Hotel New York City
- Best Western Hospitality Hotel
- Best Western New York City
- New York City Best Western
- Best Western Hospitality House New York