“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #124 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We chose this hotel because we knew we'd be staying in NYC for four nights and wanted room to spread out, and wanted to try to sleep of course. We're here for our daughter's 21st birthday and it's our first time to NYC. I have mixed feelings about the hotel. I know all the buildings here are old, and steam heat has its own issues and can be noisy. I grew up in an old home with radiators and steam heat. You do get used to the banging noise of the pump system and the clanging of the pipes and radiators after a while, but it's constantly there. We had to turn the radiators off (as much as possible, that is) to cool down the rooms to a temperature where we could actually sleep. The A/C units are window units, and I know they can be noisy as I've lived with those as well, so I'm not going to complain about the noise. Actually I sleep better with noise like that, and I need the room cool, so that worked out fine for me.

The kitchen is a full one which is very nice, but the surface light in the microwave is burned out and even when we brought it to the attention of the management it wasn't fixed. The light in the hallway was burned out and again a staff member even came up but it wasn't fixed. Not a very big deal since this is a penthouse suite with two bedrooms and we have plenty of light, but I'm still surprised the lights weren't replaced.

The bathrooms are seriously too small. Almost no counter space and little room to move around. The water pressure in the shower fluctuates, as does the water temperature, so be forewarned. There is no tub up here - only two full bathrooms with large showers.

The bedrooms are interesting. One is barely large enough to move around the bed and there are only two nightstands. No dresser or chair to put a suitcase or other belongings off the floor. We took the clothes drying racks out of the closet in the other bedroom and put our suitcases on them. I don't put things on the floor of hotel rooms if I can help it. Speaking of floors, they're hardwood which is really nice, and there are rugs as well. The other bedroom is larger, but again only one nightstand and a stand for the TV. Not even a chair.

The TV's are nice - flatscreens and the reception is good. The Internet is blazing fast and very reliable - a plus for most of us. There is a safe but we had to get a staff member to come up and unlock it because some dolt before us locked it. DUH, people. Have some consideration and leave the safe unlocked for the next guest, okay? They don't know the passcode you set, idiot.

The breakfast is free but really poor. Two mornings in a row now sausage and rubbery poached eggs. The room is seriously too small to accommodate more than a few people at once comfortably, and it only took two obnoxious teens who seemed to be unaware there were others waiting in line to get to things, who were here both mornings now, monopolizing everything from the waffle maker to the milk dispenser for cereal, to ruin the experience.

I've read the other reviews about the street noise and the parking garage in the back of the property, but because we're up this high with a private, wrap-around balcony and a ten foot high concrete wall around it, we can't hear anything in the back (our penthouse faces East 49th Street) and the street noise would be preferable to the banging and clanging of the pump system and the steam heat.

The staff has been great so far. Helpful and smiling. Housekeeping only freshened up one bedroom yesterday so we'll see what happens this morning. And they replaced our coffee maker with a smaller one and we still don't know why. On the other hand, we had complementary cookies and water upon arrival, and the coffee itself was replaced, and there is 24 hour free coffee and beverages down in the breakfast room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on East 49th street unless street noise bothers you. If the room is too hot call down...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank romancewriter_tara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My family of four stayed in a two bedroom suite for one night between Christmas and New Years. The room was very spacious and clean as described in other reviews. The location, breakfast, and service were all good. We had just one complaint, but it was a big one. The room was far too noisy to sleep. We were given room 2B on the second floor facing the street. I don't know if the windows and walls are thin, or if it's due to the air conditioning units they leave in the windows even during the winter (so it's almost like having an open window), but the street noise came flowing into the bedrooms all night. I'm not a light sleeper and often like a little background noise. But this was ridiculous. There's a service entrance for the large Marriott across the street and trucks were coming and going all night. Apparently it was also trash pick-up night for the street. This wasn't the steady hum of a city, it was occasional (but frequent) loud bursts of trash compacting, trucks backing up, horns honking, and sirens wailing. Everything sounded as if it was happening right next to you, and you could even hear individual conversations on the street. We put my seven year old to bed first, but after an hour of complaints we moved him to the sleeper sofa to get him away from the windows. We thought he was being overly sensitive until the rest of us went to bed. I never got more than an hour of continuous sleep at any point through the night, and the rest of my family had a similar experience.

I imagine this could be a very good hotel if you have an inside room on an upper floor. But I will never stay here again due to the risk of getting a similar room. It's a shame since everything else about the hotel is good, but the primary purpose for a hotel room is sleep, and this one failed miserably on that dimension.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room on an upper floor.
3 Thank John N
robg64, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hospitality House, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for the city noises that kept you and your family awake at night. We could have perhaps placed you on a higher floor and there were ear plugs in the room priovided in the nightstand. Hotels in NYC all experience such noise problems especially around Times Square. We are on the eastside, near Times Square but in a relatively quieter part of the city especially at night. We are taking your suggestions to heart and are exploring the possibility of removing the AC's for the winter by storing them away but space is limited for that here.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a more superior experience.

Warm Regards,
Plymouth,PA
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Our family of four stayed in a two bedroom apartment at the BW Plus for one night after Christmas. We couldn't have picked a better hotel. The location, the accommodations,and the family friendly atmosphere made our overnight trip a nice experience. I am sure this hotel will be our top pick when we return to NYC.

2 Thank imoran
Thank you for your review and patronage! We strive to make a pleasurable experience for our guests and their families. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Big Apple!!
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My family and I have stayed her for the past two years - we range in age form 3-years-old to grand parents and number anywhere from 6 - 8 people....no problem; not even with just one bathroom. My husband and I are native New Yorkers and we love to bring the kids and grandkids up to experience the holidays in the one city that truly gets me in the Christmas Spirit. We've stayed other places but have not found any that equal this little jewel of a hotel. And the breakfast is a bargain :)

2 Thank Margaret F
Thank you for your stay and your review. We love to hear about returning New Yorkers!! We are glad your family enjoyed our hotel and service. We hope to see you agauin soon!!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 December 2011

What makes our stay really enjoyable at BW Plus Hospitality is the exemplary service attitude of Mr. Robert Gaeta and its family-oriented atmosphere. USA is not short of any 5* hotels or cheaper options but one that has genuinely great customer service attitude is hard to come by as we have learnt from our many trips around the world.
Rob not only made a beautiful service recovery by inviting us to stay with them again on our way back to NYC so that he could personally see to our needs, which he did. he also reserved a room for our friend's family who was travelling with us out of goodwill. I am sure Rob could have rented the 2 bedroom suites for a higher price any time as the apt is always full to the brim.
Thomas Alvich, the chief maintenance office is also very efficient in rectifying any problems we had with the suite. The smiley Chinese lady serving breakfast is also very friendly and helfpful.
We congratulate Rob for managing a great team and would like to thank him for the opportunity to experience the great culture of the Best Western. Our holiday ends on a high note and we wish Rob and team a "Very Blessed and Merry Christmas, and a Very Happy New Year!"

2 Thank GenXYZ
robg64, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hospitality House, responded to this review, 30 December 2011
Thank you so much for this beautiful review!! I have shared it with Tom and Cindy (from the breakfast) and Thanked them for their efforts. As a hotelier for almost 30 years now there is no greater satisfaction than having guests like you and your family!! You have given us the chance to improve and learn..
HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Health and Happiness in 2012. We hope to see you again!! Please let me know if you plan to return to NYC again. We, I, would get great pleasure in serving you again!!
Thank you again..
Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We had a 2 bedroom apartment. We stayed 4 nights and enjoyed the very large apartment, big TVs 3 big kitchen, big bathroom very good breakfast as much as you want, waffel machine was fun. Wonderful staff. So near everything we walked to lots of the big attractions. We also used the subway which is near so I can recommend this hotel. If I had to find a niggle then maybe the traffic noise but it was ok.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Claudia905
Thank you for being our guests and for your positive review!! We are happy you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you again soon. Please consider me at your service if you should plan to return. Happy New Year to you and your family!!
Singapore
Reviewed 12 December 2011

So much had been said of this apt so I thought I will just highlight two bad experiences instead:
1. Do not expect the counter staff to take or pass on your enquiries/ requests/instructions from one to another (the counter staff work in shifts and on different days) - apparently they don't.
2. Do not use the laundry services because they go by weight and you have no clue how heavy your clothes are unless you have a weighing machine. Ours cost a bomb and two Calvin Klein polos went missing. Instead of delivering the next day as promised, they took 3 days. So if you really need to use the laundry please make sure you budget for extra time and $. Otherwise take a 10 mins walk down the avenue and spend 2 hours waiting for your laundry to be done. We did not want to do the latter as we were on holiday and it was raining but only to encounter something so unreliable. We only got our clothes before check out and discovered the loss at our next destination. When we called BW to help, they said "we are not responsible". But certainly they can help to check with the laundromat for us as it was recommended by BW who have been using them all this time?

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank VibrantAurora
robg64, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hospitality House, responded to this review, 13 December 2011
Dear TrueSingaporean,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for your stay and apologize that the ourtside laundry service that we recommmend to our guests did not meet expectations. I am sorry they lost some of your items and were slow to deliver. We do not make any profit from using them and paying by the pound is much cheaper than your typical hotel charge which is usually billed by each garment. We will be changing the service that we use due to your feedback. Thank you for sharing that experience with us so we can improve.

I would very much like to speak with you about the missing items if you can please contact me I would be grateful.

We strive to create a world class service experience for our guests and I would very much like an opportunity to show you that we better than what you experienced. We can discuss that too when we speak.

Thank you for your kind consideration,