“Once again Holiday Perfection”

Best Western Plus Hospitality House
Ranked #125 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Boston
“Once again Holiday Perfection”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I believe it's our fifth year coming to the BWHH for our annual friends shopping trip. We changed from the Salisbury & find this location ideal for the stores we shop & location to Broadway. This year we saw "On A Clear Day " with Harry Connick Jr. and LOVED it. I agree the outside nouise can be a little annoying,but I have stayed in other NYC hotels as well that have the same issues. Perhaps make sure you are on a higher floor towards the back ?? It's just that inconvenience is far outweighed (for us) by the SPACIOUS suite we women share. The hotel staff remembers us from year to year (I hope fondly) and are polite and helpful. And how about the value added FREE breakfast ????? How could a young family with kids not appreciate being able to go right downstairs with hungry kids and feed them right away- or bring it back upstairs and eat in your BIG room?? They have made upgrades over the years which are appreciated. We had to change our dates for next year and were afraid we couldn't get our same room, but once again , the front desk came through and we are looking forward to next year !!! I don't want to leave anyone out, I think it's usually Eddie & Amar that we talk with. Once again, this hotel was perfect for our needs and we could relax at the end of a long NYC day. Happy New Year to all the staff.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank NYCshoppinggal
robg64, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hospitality House, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Dear NYC Shopping Gals!

We were very happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us and that Eddie and Ammar made you feel comfortable and at home!! I wil be sure to recoghnize their efforts. Thank you for explaining in great detail the benefits of one of our apartments verses a regular room when visiting!!

We can't wait to see you and your girlfriends back next year!!

Happy New Year!! Health and Happiness in 2012!!

Robert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My family and I came to NYC for the week leading up to Christmas. We needed a roomy place to stay to accomodate 7 of us. We rented both a two bedroom and a one bedroom apartment at the Best Western Hospitality House and were so happy with the accomodations. I can't say enough about Sam. Sam Sharma is such an asset to Best Western and I hope that he gets recognized for his genuine care for people and their stay with Best Western. I was impressed with all the staff and really appreciate Eddie's assistance with our departure needs as well. We will definitely stay there again because receiving an email from Mr. Robert Gaeta letting us know his appreciation for our stay with his Hotel made me feel like he personally cares. It was a terrific experience and you can't ask for a better location and accommodations for a family needing room in NYC. Thanks a Bunch!! We will be back.

1 Thank Polly S
Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you and your family liked about your stay this Holiday Season, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. I will thank Sam and Eddie for providing you with excellent service during your stay!!!

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 212 753 8781. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We chose this hotel because we knew we'd be staying in NYC for four nights and wanted room to spread out, and wanted to try to sleep of course. We're here for our daughter's 21st birthday and it's our first time to NYC. I have mixed feelings about the hotel. I know all the buildings here are old, and steam heat has its own issues and can be noisy. I grew up in an old home with radiators and steam heat. You do get used to the banging noise of the pump system and the clanging of the pipes and radiators after a while, but it's constantly there. We had to turn the radiators off (as much as possible, that is) to cool down the rooms to a temperature where we could actually sleep. The A/C units are window units, and I know they can be noisy as I've lived with those as well, so I'm not going to complain about the noise. Actually I sleep better with noise like that, and I need the room cool, so that worked out fine for me.

The kitchen is a full one which is very nice, but the surface light in the microwave is burned out and even when we brought it to the attention of the management it wasn't fixed. The light in the hallway was burned out and again a staff member even came up but it wasn't fixed. Not a very big deal since this is a penthouse suite with two bedrooms and we have plenty of light, but I'm still surprised the lights weren't replaced.

The bathrooms are seriously too small. Almost no counter space and little room to move around. The water pressure in the shower fluctuates, as does the water temperature, so be forewarned. There is no tub up here - only two full bathrooms with large showers.

The bedrooms are interesting. One is barely large enough to move around the bed and there are only two nightstands. No dresser or chair to put a suitcase or other belongings off the floor. We took the clothes drying racks out of the closet in the other bedroom and put our suitcases on them. I don't put things on the floor of hotel rooms if I can help it. Speaking of floors, they're hardwood which is really nice, and there are rugs as well. The other bedroom is larger, but again only one nightstand and a stand for the TV. Not even a chair.

The TV's are nice - flatscreens and the reception is good. The Internet is blazing fast and very reliable - a plus for most of us. There is a safe but we had to get a staff member to come up and unlock it because some dolt before us locked it. DUH, people. Have some consideration and leave the safe unlocked for the next guest, okay? They don't know the passcode you set, idiot.

The breakfast is free but really poor. Two mornings in a row now sausage and rubbery poached eggs. The room is seriously too small to accommodate more than a few people at once comfortably, and it only took two obnoxious teens who seemed to be unaware there were others waiting in line to get to things, who were here both mornings now, monopolizing everything from the waffle maker to the milk dispenser for cereal, to ruin the experience.

I've read the other reviews about the street noise and the parking garage in the back of the property, but because we're up this high with a private, wrap-around balcony and a ten foot high concrete wall around it, we can't hear anything in the back (our penthouse faces East 49th Street) and the street noise would be preferable to the banging and clanging of the pump system and the steam heat.

The staff has been great so far. Helpful and smiling. Housekeeping only freshened up one bedroom yesterday so we'll see what happens this morning. And they replaced our coffee maker with a smaller one and we still don't know why. On the other hand, we had complementary cookies and water upon arrival, and the coffee itself was replaced, and there is 24 hour free coffee and beverages down in the breakfast room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on East 49th street unless street noise bothers you. If the room is too hot call down...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank romancewriter_tara
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My family of four stayed in a two bedroom suite for one night between Christmas and New Years. The room was very spacious and clean as described in other reviews. The location, breakfast, and service were all good. We had just one complaint, but it was a big one. The room was far too noisy to sleep. We were given room 2B on the second floor facing the street. I don't know if the windows and walls are thin, or if it's due to the air conditioning units they leave in the windows even during the winter (so it's almost like having an open window), but the street noise came flowing into the bedrooms all night. I'm not a light sleeper and often like a little background noise. But this was ridiculous. There's a service entrance for the large Marriott across the street and trucks were coming and going all night. Apparently it was also trash pick-up night for the street. This wasn't the steady hum of a city, it was occasional (but frequent) loud bursts of trash compacting, trucks backing up, horns honking, and sirens wailing. Everything sounded as if it was happening right next to you, and you could even hear individual conversations on the street. We put my seven year old to bed first, but after an hour of complaints we moved him to the sleeper sofa to get him away from the windows. We thought he was being overly sensitive until the rest of us went to bed. I never got more than an hour of continuous sleep at any point through the night, and the rest of my family had a similar experience.

I imagine this could be a very good hotel if you have an inside room on an upper floor. But I will never stay here again due to the risk of getting a similar room. It's a shame since everything else about the hotel is good, but the primary purpose for a hotel room is sleep, and this one failed miserably on that dimension.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room on an upper floor.
3 Thank John N
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for the city noises that kept you and your family awake at night. We could have perhaps placed you on a higher floor and there were ear plugs in the room priovided in the nightstand. Hotels in NYC all experience such noise problems especially around Times Square. We are on the eastside, near Times Square but in a relatively quieter part of the city especially at night. We are taking your suggestions to heart and are exploring the possibility of removing the AC's for the winter by storing them away but space is limited for that here.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a more superior experience.

Warm Regards,
Plymouth,PA
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Our family of four stayed in a two bedroom apartment at the BW Plus for one night after Christmas. We couldn't have picked a better hotel. The location, the accommodations,and the family friendly atmosphere made our overnight trip a nice experience. I am sure this hotel will be our top pick when we return to NYC.

2 Thank imoran
Thank you for your review and patronage! We strive to make a pleasurable experience for our guests and their families. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Big Apple!!
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My family and I have stayed her for the past two years - we range in age form 3-years-old to grand parents and number anywhere from 6 - 8 people....no problem; not even with just one bathroom. My husband and I are native New Yorkers and we love to bring the kids and grandkids up to experience the holidays in the one city that truly gets me in the Christmas Spirit. We've stayed other places but have not found any that equal this little jewel of a hotel. And the breakfast is a bargain :)

2 Thank Margaret F
Thank you for your stay and your review. We love to hear about returning New Yorkers!! We are glad your family enjoyed our hotel and service. We hope to see you agauin soon!!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 December 2011

What makes our stay really enjoyable at BW Plus Hospitality is the exemplary service attitude of Mr. Robert Gaeta and its family-oriented atmosphere. USA is not short of any 5* hotels or cheaper options but one that has genuinely great customer service attitude is hard to come by as we have learnt from our many trips around the world.
Rob not only made a beautiful service recovery by inviting us to stay with them again on our way back to NYC so that he could personally see to our needs, which he did. he also reserved a room for our friend's family who was travelling with us out of goodwill. I am sure Rob could have rented the 2 bedroom suites for a higher price any time as the apt is always full to the brim.
Thomas Alvich, the chief maintenance office is also very efficient in rectifying any problems we had with the suite. The smiley Chinese lady serving breakfast is also very friendly and helfpful.
We congratulate Rob for managing a great team and would like to thank him for the opportunity to experience the great culture of the Best Western. Our holiday ends on a high note and we wish Rob and team a "Very Blessed and Merry Christmas, and a Very Happy New Year!"

2 Thank GenXYZ
robg64, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hospitality House, responded to this review, 30 December 2011
Thank you so much for this beautiful review!! I have shared it with Tom and Cindy (from the breakfast) and Thanked them for their efforts. As a hotelier for almost 30 years now there is no greater satisfaction than having guests like you and your family!! You have given us the chance to improve and learn..
HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Health and Happiness in 2012. We hope to see you again!! Please let me know if you plan to return to NYC again. We, I, would get great pleasure in serving you again!!
Thank you again..