Inn New York City
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Hotel Beacon(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
The Milburn Hotel(New York City)
  • Fitness centre
The Amsterdam Inn(New York City)
Average 3/5
  • Breakfast included
Phillips Club(New York City)
  • Pool
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)
  • Fitness centre
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Olcott(New York City)
  • Room Service
The Lucerne Hotel(New York City)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsopera suitespa suiteupper west sidefresh fruithome away from homenew yorkevery amenitysubway stopthe location is perfectbrownstone71stnycbroadwaydishwasher
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My wife and I found this exquisite hotel back in 1996. It is truly a hidden gem on a quite street in the middle of New York City. This is truly a great place to escape to in the city. We were lucky enought to visit several times in the 90's and had not had the chance to get back in almost 15 years. Well, even after 15 years this place has maintained it's very high level of quality, decor, service and ambiance. We will be going back again very soon. Elyn and the staff are top notch and provide everything you'll need to have the best stay anywhere in New York.
Mike & Teresa

Room Tip: Over the years we have stayed in the Spa Suite, the Opera Suite and the Library Suite. They are all excellent. But I have to say the Spa Suite is our favorite for the Jacuzzi tub, sauna and huge bathroom. The street is so quiet you won't believe you are sleeping in NY.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike G
Reviewed 7 February 2014

My husband doesn't enjoy traveling and in particular dislikes large hotels with small elevators. When we were planning our trip to New York this time, he really wanted to try the Inn New York for its privacy. We arrived very late in the evening to this brownstone with no sign on a quiet street. A kind lady greeted us, insisted on hauling our bags up the one flight of stairs to the Spa Suite, the only room on the second floor. After that, we never saw a soul coming or going. You are given your own set of keys to the brownstone and from that point on, it is like it is your own flat. I would describe the interior of the Spa Suite as a bit funky. There is a long, narrow kitchen with gas burners, toaster oven, dishwasher, plates and pots and pans. The frig is stocked with milk, juice, water and ice. There are numerous goodies around including sweets and fresh fruit, all part of the deal. The "spa" area is a large bathroom with a tub so huge it has a faucet on each side. It is quite shallow though so you have to slide down to get all wet. It has a small sauna and a nice shower. The bed was very comfortable with lovely linens and a joy to crawl into after a long, cold day and night in the city. We found the suite to have a cluttered feel due to the number of books and accessories in every nook and cranny and it could be a little overwhelming. When we called each day to let them know we were going out and the room could be cleaned, they seemed concerned that we weren't eating the sweets and wanted to know what we would enjoy instead. The room rate was very expensive although there were absolutely no extras but considering that, we were a little disappointed in a few things such as the toilet was very temperamental and even after we reported it, no improvement. The bathroom doesn't have an exhaust system. And the shower was a bit leaky and jerryrigged with tin foil in a few spots. The bathroom sink didn't drain very well either. These were merely annoyances but for the price, they seemed noticeable for sure. Be aware that you could stay in a pretty fabulous hotel for what you pay at the Inn, but no hotel can duplicate the homey feel and special care of the Inn New York. It almost feels like staying at your aunt's place in the city while she is in Europe. We would definitely come back.

Room Tip: The Spa Suite is the only room that has a king size bed.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PatriciaLynne
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I recently stayed here in the opera suite with my brother while we attended several shows at the Met (which it is super close to) and visited other attractions in NYC. It was so much better than staying in some generic hotel. It really added to our NYC experience. The staff is very attentive to your needs. It was so nice to come back after a long day of touring to the cozy and beautiful suite. The suite was very clean and there were no bedbugs (a big problem in NYC).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This was a very private and very nice Inn. Great location. Peaceful surroundings in NYC. I would recommend to anyone who wants privacy will staying in NYC. Good amenities. Stayed in Library suite that has complete kitchen good for breakfast and coffee. Lots of good food stocked daily. And at the end of the trip washed all our clothes the evening before departure. Owners met us at arrival. The cleaning staff is excellent!!!!! If you want total privacy this is the place!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dannmike
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I don't much like New York City, never have. But staying at the Inn New York City last week has pretty much brought me around. It was one of the most wonderful, enjoyable and friendly experiences I've ever had in a hotel - and I've had a few!

If what you are looking for is a generic box on the 33rd floor with a trouser-press, this is not for you. But if your ideal is staying in a hotel that feels more like a mate leant you his/her apartment for a week, then you should seriously consider the exceptional Inn New York City.

I arrived late at night and couldn't quite believe what faced me. A normal brownstone terraced house on the Upper West Side, not far from the Park. My "room" had its own street entrance and was in fact a basement suite, (they have some that aren't underground, if basements aren't your thing), of sitting room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom. Small but exquisitely furnished with very personal items - books, antique lamps, pictures, music... It was beautifully warm, (it was minus 10C outside!), cosy and above all friendly. It really felt like I had moved into someone else's lovely house.

The taste might not be exactly to your liking but at least it IS done with taste. There's a real personality here, a world away from the anonymous, identikit cubicles one usually associates with foreign urban travel.

But that's only part of it. The owner lives on the premises. In a completely unobtrusive way, she is ready and determined to ensure that everything you need is provided for. The rooms are equipped with your own personal outside phone line. Fresh food and fruit and water are placed in the room on a daily basis. Servicing of the room is at your convenience, not theirs. Elyn is keen to know what you would like so she can provide it. And all at no extra charge. No credit card is swiped on arrival and, at least in my case, absolutely no charge was made for any extras provided - food, drink, phone. All part of the extremely thoughtful service. Truly, I have never known anything like it.

Elyn tells me she has been providing this service quietly for 20 years. Part of me wants to keep this to myself so it's there if I need it in the future. But that wouldn't be fair. I've stayed in hotels in all corners of the world and this experience stands out. It's only fair to share it.

Room Tip: Look at the website. They all have different characters, I believe.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business