“quirky”

Ranked #343 of 467 Hotels in New York City
ireland
“quirky”
Reviewed 12 May 2009

This is a very interesting place to stay but definitely different and may not suit everyone. It is comfortable and everyone is very friendly and I really enjoyed staying here but left then for a 5 star on Madison and when I go back, I will probably pick the Madison Avenue hotel.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank maggiemay027

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
west islip, new york
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Just returned from my second stay. My husband and I work in the city and like to occasionally get theater tickets and stay the weekend. This is absolutely my favorite place to stay. Ruth and Elyn make you feel like your visiting a friends and they have given you your own suite and alot of privacy.
On my first visit there was a bottle of white wine in the refrigerator (not a fan of white) this time when making my reservations I asked if they could possibly leave red. On my arrival there was a bottle of Syrah on the counter waiting for me (I LOVE THIS PLACE).
I can't really say which suite was my favorite. They were both special in differant ways.
The VERMONT SUITE - very private - you have your own entrance - the bedroom being down a spiral staircase is great - I really liked the two levels.
The OPERA SUITE - Baby grand piano (my husband played a bit) - Jacuzzi tub in bath which I took advantage of - best part was the private terrace - lucky for us the weather was beautiful so we sat outside in the late afternoon having wine, cheese, crackers and fruit.
They are both beautiful. I will definately be back, I have two more suites to try. I just wish there wasn't an extra charge for a 1 night booking, even though I absolutely understand why that is the policy.
Hope to be back soon.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank paraskeva
Pensacola, FL
Reviewed 1 May 2009

Okay, how about this --

1-- Great pillows. You don't think that's a big deal? Stay in the "plastic" hotels and tell me you don't sleep better on great pillows and real sheets.
2 -- Great neighborhood. You want to live with tourists? Stay in the Times Square area. Great fun but it's not real New York. At this Inn you're living with real people (we spoke to a trombone player next door one night), went to -- and ate at -- a real downtown market and learned how real New Yorkers live.
3 -- Great surprises. I won't give any more away but Ruth & Company always had something special awaiting you.
4 -- Great location. Did I mention that already? Sorry. This time I mean that the neaby subway is so close to the Inn that you're back in (one of) your rooms in no time even if you were having drinks in Greenwich Village just a few minutes earlier.

We stayed 4 nights in the Vermont suite and it was so quiet at night that I could hear nothing all night long. Newspaper every morning. Fresh orange juice. Nice people. Great neighborhood and local restaurants.

What am I doing here?? I'm heading back -- soon!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank spypoint
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 8 April 2009

We're just home from a perfect stay at Inn New York City. If you are planning a trip to NYC, just go for it and opt for the Inn. We had a warm and welcoming, but inobstrusive, visit to the Spa Suite. The bath and in-suite sauna are fabulous extras you will not find in a high-rise hotel!

Cuisine was our primary objective in New York. After dining at Per Se, Le Bernardin, and Jean-Georges, Inn NYC was the perfect "pamper yourself" complement. It is located in the PERFECT neighborhood. We were able to walk EVERYWHERE - The Metropolitan Opera, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Natural History Museum, Broadway and ALL the restaurants. Also ... try the recommended Cafe Luxembourg. We did and enjoyed every bite.

It's worth every penny!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank go2eat
Wodonga, Australia
Reviewed 6 April 2009

Very difficult to say something new about this inn, but it is as good as everyone says and better than we even dreamed it would be.
We stayed in the Vermont suite for 8 nights. It’s the cheapest of the four suites but by no means sub-standard. It’s simply delightful in every way. After a long journey from Paris and a horrible immigration experience at Newark, we were greeted by Ruth and Agnes (the housekeeper) and felt right at home and pampered from the first moment.
This is a 100 year old house, so don’t expect perfectly level flooring and soulless conformity of fittings. The charm of the inn lies in its individuality, and the unparalleled attention to detail and desire to administer to your comfort by your hosts. It’s evident that Ruth & Elyn have poured their own personalities into each suite, so you feel you are an honoured guest in your host’s house, not customers in a chain motel. They want you to feel at home, but it’s more the kind of home you WISHED you lived in. No service is too difficult – they even washed my small clothes which I didn’t expect. Richard, who has been with the Inn for many years, carried our bags down the spiral staircase for us. Everything you use is replaced daily, so you are never without.
Highlights:
The plethora of fascinating books and magazines lying around for you to relax with when the weather is wet or you just need to take a break. Don’t bother going to Barnes and Noble to find something to read – a daily paper is provided as well as novels, recent magazines and even old playbills from NY theatres to rummage through.
Food: breakfast is continental and delicious , and there is a never-ending supply of jams, fruits, cream cheese for your bagels, tarts, pie, cheese, wine, what more could you want. The chocolates are refreshed each day which is bad for the figure but sooo good for the sense of luxury you are wrapped in.
Internet: free, fast, wireless and reliable.
TV: One up and one down both with good cable. Not that we spent much time watching tv.
Extras: gorgeous thick bathrobes, umbrellas, cds, and board games if you are trapped inside on a rainy day.
Comfort: bed is firm and great for the muscles. I happen to like firm beds so this one was perfect. Rooms are thermostated so you can set your comfort level. Bathroom is sweet and water is hot. Towels are sumptuous, toiletries comprehensive. There is even a bath pillow and a facial scrub set.
Location: Brilliant. The street is quiet and safe, and lots of charming brownstones to be found. The apartment is one street away from the subway, plenty of excellent cafes and restaurants nearby such as Cafe Luxembourg, Cafe Lalo, Gray’s Papaya hot dog store, Zabar’s, Fairway and Citarella markets, as well as many chain stores. We walked to Central Park and the Natural History Museum. Columbus Circle is also an easy walk, as is Riverside Park.

To sum up: this is a unique experience in NY city. A great deal of thought and effort goes into making your stay one you will treasure. Ruth and Elyn have carefully designed each suite to make you feel not just comfortable, but special. They succeed à merveille.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Ozwitch
Texas
Reviewed 3 April 2009

We stayed in the library suite and we felt as if we belonged there. So comfortable and interesting were all the books and antiques we could just move in. The kitchen had all the convenieces and it was completely stocked with everything we needed. If there was anything wanting all you have to do is request it and there it is. Because of the comfort of the Inn we had a cozy and wonderful stay. The only bad thing was we only had 4 nights to visit . It was like stepping back in time but with all the amenities of today.

• Stayed March 2009
4 Thank patrickTexas
Toronto
Reviewed 23 March 2009

My teenage son and I stayed in the Vermont Suite. It was perfect for us. Very private with its own entrance and patio, and so close to the subway for all the sightseeing we wanted to do in New York. And a short walk to Central Park, and Museum Mile.
But those are just details that will not disappoint. What I loved best was the interesting, homey decor. Full of books and magazines that, no matter what your taste, will allow you a good read at the end of the day. I love surprises, and there were fun antique surprises throughout the suite. Every day, I kept discovering new and thoughtful things that our hostesses had added.
I think everyone whose written about the Inn has talked about the wonderful food and snacks that were provided. I felt a bit guilty that we didn't eat them all, but they were in such abundance!
At the end of our stay, there were no extra charges. That too was a surprise. I've rarely been to a place where all the amenities are free.
I felt that our hostesses were concerned that we take advantage of all they had to offer, and have an especially great time. Believe me Ruth. We did.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family