“Quirky Fun”

Ranked #350 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Chorley Lancs
“Quirky Fun”
Reviewed 8 April 2010

My wife and I had previously stayed in a suite at one of the city's 5 star hotels. On this visit we realised we could have our own virtually private accommodation for the same price. We chose to stay in the Spa Suite which is the most expensive. Each of the 4 suites is on a different level with one being below ground level in the basement. It has to be said that Inn New York and a majority of the hotels in the city are at opposite ends of the spectrum for character. We have never experienced such a quirky place in all of our travels. From the sherry decanter and soft music in the entrance vestibule to the daily cakes and pastries that appear in the fridge, we were never short of nice touches to show someone cared about their role as hosts. Each room is crammed with artefacts, magazines, books, chocolates, the list goes on. Our suite was on the first floor and the door led straight into the bedroom. There was a gallery kitchen leading into the bath/spa area. The bed is very large and comfy. The kitchen is very well equipped. The bath/spa room is amazing but we both thought it was overdue a facelift and makeover. Its worth bearing in mind that this is a very old building with a lots of original features. On the last night of our visit we had a noisy family in the suite above. This coupled with the poor sound insulation of the windows resulted in a very restless night's sleep. Heavy sleepers may not find this an issue. Its worth noting that the other suites dont have a window onto the busy street at the front of the property. My guess is the top floor and the basement would be the quietest. All in all a fab place to stay. Its also worth mentioning that the rooms are spotless. The cleaning staff are outstanding. Is it worth the money? It depends on your needs and what deals are being offered by the hotels at the time. This place is unique and as such you would expect to pay extra for the privilege. One slight niggle was the extra charge for a late check out considering we had just paid for 7 nights in the top suite.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kebablover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
Reviewed 25 March 2010

We are in love with this hotel! From the consistent exceptional service to the beautiful comfortable rooms. It is our favorite hotel in New York! The staff is fabulous and always anticipating our needs. We had a very special stay again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank zenery
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2010

We came to NYC for a family birthday celebration and decided on Inn New York City. We've known about the place for 3 years and haven't managed to find the time to stay. We loved the Inn and appreciated the thoughtful extra touches (birthday cake, goodies, wine and cheese). The accommodations are lovely and comfortable...made us dream of having our own, restored brownstone on the West Side. Maybe someday. In the meantime, we plan on returning to the Inn New York City for our special occasions in the City.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2010

My Dad I and stayed in the Vermont Suite for 6 days. My Dad had the main floor sofa bed and I had the bedroom down the spiral stairs. It was an excellent base for our NY city travels. It was close enough to everything without being in the middle of it all. What I loved most of all was the feeling I lived here, this was not a hotel room and it never felt like it anyway. Goodies were replenished as we used them and laundry was done for us TWICE! It was very hot a humid and we were not used to it at all. The Inn surpassed all of our expectations and nothing could come close to the feeling we lived there.

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank WpgBanker
new jersey
Reviewed 22 February 2010

My wife and I have found it---the perfect romantic getaway in the heart of Manhattan. There's no sign outside the building, just Victorian lights outside a West 71st Street brownstone 3 blocks from Central Park. But enter and you're in one of the classiest and most unique of any lodging experience I've had in the city, in fact the country (and I'm an experienced traveler). Ruth Mensch and her daughter have arranged their brownstone into 4 disctinctive living suites, each with its own character, living area, bedroom and fully equipped and stocked kitchen (no extra charge).

We booked the Spa Suite on the second floor, primarily because of its Sauna and Jacuzzi for 2 and, although it was more narrow than the other large suites (Opera, with tuned piano, and the huge Library Suite---there is a smaller, Vermont Suite that I wasn't able to see)), it was more than spacious. A bottle of wine with all the accompaniments (cheeses, fruits, etc., etc.), private label "welcome" chocolate cake, a full refrigerator, bagels, croissants, cereals, juices, etc. greeted us upon our arrival and were replenished for the second day of our stay. While the Suites are not inexpensive (we were able to get a price break off the listed rate because of availability and a last minute booking), the value is outstanding. Although our stay was for 2 days and to celebrate our anniversary, I'd also consider returning on a business trip where I don't require a cocktail lounge downstairs and would like to take refuge overnight from the "real world" to get the batteries recharged.

Two caveats---The Inn really isn't for young children and, since it's in a brownstone, you'll need to climb steps.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fredds
New York
Reviewed 21 February 2010

My husband and I stayed one night in the Spa Suite. From the moment you stepped foot into the inn, you stepped back in time. The beautiful woodwork, the original architecture, and Ruth. Ruth was caring, and took pride in showing us every aspect of her home. The bed was extremely comfortable; the kitchen was fully stocked with fresh fruit, pastries, snacks, quiche, cheeses, bottle of wine, beverages. She even had a birthday cake in honor of my husband. You do not find this attentiveness very often. I would highly recommend Inn New York City, for a quiet, intimate stay. I can’t wait to return for another special occasion.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Treviso, Italy
Reviewed 18 January 2010

This was our second time in New York and for this reason I tried to find out something very special. We discovered Inn New York City trough Trip Advisor and I must say that this precious gem soon became part of our whole travel experience.
I loved every minute of our stay as did my husband and our two teenagers.

We were assisted by the owners, Ruth and her daughter Elyn in any way they could.
They are so corteous, friendly and extremely attentive at all times but never intrusive.
Nothing ever seemed to be a bother: they even lended a laptop to my daughter because ours unexpectedly did not work.

Their attention to detail is second to none. Our suite, the Library one, was superb and spacious.

At our arrival we found the fridge deliciously stocked :
excellent Italian wine, home-made cakes, french cheese, snacks.....and it was restocked every day.
Fresh flowers, Lindt chocolate, a biscuit box with my name on it....what can I say more....

In comparison with our first trip ( near the 5th Avenue ) we loved so much also the location. Just few minutes' walk or subway from everything and yet so far from the hustle and bustle of New York. After wondering for hours shopping and sightseeing it was so fantastic to come home in such an intimate and peaceful place.

Inn New York City is really unique. Thanks Ruth and Elyn for making us feel so special.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family