“Nice place if you get the right price”
Review of Roger Smith Hotel

Roger Smith Hotel
Ranked #108 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 August 2011

My sister, nephew and myself went to New York this May. Looked for appropriate place to stay at reasonable price and failed at first. Normally I go to NYC few times a year, but on my own. Going there with famility is a challenge from the "hotel" point of view.

Found really the best rate directly at hotel's website (it was the best, comparing to other sites). Hotel room was spacious. Decoration of the room was sweet, but little bit tired. Reception was super friendly and helpful.

Generally, if you are traveling with family and want to stay centrally - this is an option. Still, the hotel is slightly washed-out, so take it only if you can get a deal for it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,270)

Reviewed 1 August 2011

My favorite place to stay in manhattan. Lots of personality. Great rooftop bar in warmer weather. Great bacon! Interesting art! No cookie cutter decor here. Close to Grand Central. Always clean, great service, free wifi!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I read a lot of reviews and was a little nervous going into this hotel, but a friend of mine that lived in NYC recommended it so I trusted her. All in all it was good. The hotel room felt like you were staying at your Grandma's house, or an east coast B&B. The room was very spacious. I've stayed in a few hotels in NYC for work that were a lot more $ per night and the rooms were tiny, but the Rogers Smith was a great size. It is VERY close to all the NYC areas; Broadway (we went and say How to Succeed in Business - highly recommend), Times Square, Central Park and shopping on Park Ave. The Staff didn't blow me away with customer service, however i wouldn't say they were rude or anything either. One of the best parts about the rooms is they all have mini fridges in them. There is a drug store and a liquor store right across the street, so we bought some stuff for a night cap. My only complaint is that there is something up with the water there; when you take a shower without even touching the faucets the water fluctuates between very hot to very cold and back to very hot again. The last day we were there they posted a note saying that someone was going to be in to fix the water...so they seemed to be aware of the problem. If you are looking for elegance, great customer service, and high class this isn't the hotel for you, but if you want a cheaper hotel that is close to everything and a comfy bed to sleep in - this is the place!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Having lived in the city in my younger days, My wife and I have travled back and forth for weekend visits a few times a year staying in hotels all around the city. Finding The Roger Smith on line, turns out to be a great find. This visit we decided to take our 4 young children with us for their first time to the city. First off the greeting staff were very helpful and friendly, the room was clean and comfortable for all 6 of us and the location was perfect. check out at noon hotel staff held our bags for the day for us to enjoy the rest of our trip. I would love to stay here again on our next trip.

1  Thank DG1972
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We first stopped at The Roger Smith for 1 night in 2009 -don't ask, the wife screwed our dates up and we had to leave the apartment we had rented. Anyway, from the time we phoned them and arrived all stressed up at the front door they were first class. Fantastic service, very good rooms and facilities and a real haven, superbly located on Lexington in Mid Town.
We had to return to NYC for 5 nights in July this year and didn't hesitate to re-book with them, and we weren't disappointed. The online booking with Galo was excellent and very efficiently carried out. Front desk staff - special mentions to Kacuk and Manny, were brilliant throughout our stay and provided every assistance needed, when needed. The rooms were excellently sized with good facilities, clean and well maintained.And the breakfasts were wonderful, with great choice, good portions and definitely set us up for those busy NY days.
Location wise, it takes some beating for those that want to base themselves centrally for visiting as many of the sites as possible. Without doubt the best hotel I have stayed in in New York and for the money is in my opinion hard to beat.

I will definitely go back.

Only one moan, well not really but it would be wonderful if they could make a kettle available for the rooms for us Brits who just have to have our morning cuppa and cannot be doing with those darned coffee machines.

1  Thank Alan J
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Enjoyed a weekend retreat at the hotel and had a deluxe suite. Staff is friendly, accommodations were excellent and we all had a fab time...highly recommend the Roger Smith Hotel in Midtown Manhattan.

Reviewed 17 July 2011

I stayed here in June 2011. This was my third stay in this hotel in the past 5 years or so. I really like the midtown location, but there are plenty of hotels in this area. The things that bring me back to this one are the spotless rooms, friendly staff and value for money. During my last stay, I had a very nice room with hardwood floors, new bath with lots of counter space and a big closet. Apparently they are updating the hotel little by little. I have also stayed in a room that very much needed updating, but the size and cleanliness of the room and general atmosphere of the hotel made that room just fine, too. All the rooms have small refrigerators, very convenient as there is a wine store right across the street and the Grand Central food court a few blocks away. I always feel comfortable and right at home here, and plan to be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends