“Artsy, quaint, opportunity for more...”
Review of Roger Smith Hotel

Roger Smith Hotel
Ranked #111 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Centrally located so we were able to access the nearby attractions easily...with a 3 year old. Great art and figures all over to view. Unique style that felt artsy. The size and dimensions felt cozy, not too oversized nor tight. We were unable to utilize the roof top bar due to day and time of day we arrived and the downstairs bar/resturant was closed early (I think 5pm) which I thought odd for New York City... We were greeted but not overly friendly. The room was quaintly and comfortably decorated, 2 comfy beds (high for child though) with plush linens, brand new TV but I would recommend checking the AC first!
Would revisit and stay there again.
Booked online....

Room Tip: no idea, we received a pretty average room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Roger Smith Hotel

Reviewed 23 August 2011

I stayed at the Roger Smith Hotel on Lexington for 4 nights in late June 2011. After returning home I experienced the nightmare of bed bug bites. I went to my doctor and he gave me a letter confirming the presence of bed bug bites. I wrote to The Hotel and asked for reasonable compensation. They responded by saying that they inspected the room and could not find any evidence of bed bugs. The inspection took place 6 weeks after my stay so their regular pesticide treatment may have already taken care of the bed bugs, or perhaps they 'just couldn't find them'. Nine weeks later I still have scars from the bites. Their customer service in relation to this event was cold and totally unsatisfactory. I was not expecting a total reimbursement from my stay but they couldn't even offer an apologetic meal gratis during my next stay in New York. I will NEVER stay at ANY of the Roger Smith Hotels again, which is really a shame because it was a charming, older style hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank eggplantlady
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I have stayed at the Roger Smith hotel about 17 times over the last 10 years and every time is better than the last. Seems that every time I come to NYC and stay somewhere else I end up saying "I wish I was at the Smith". While some of the rooms are small, the suites are great, like little apartments. The staff in this hotel is top notch and is incredibly helpful in every way. There are fantastic restaurants and good deli all within a short walk. Also Grand Central is just a short 5 block walk which is super convenient. The place is very clean, food is good, staff is always great. If they have rooms available you should stay here, . . . Joe Sloboda

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Joe S
Reviewed 12 August 2011

My sister, nephew and myself went to New York this May. Looked for appropriate place to stay at reasonable price and failed at first. Normally I go to NYC few times a year, but on my own. Going there with famility is a challenge from the "hotel" point of view.

Found really the best rate directly at hotel's website (it was the best, comparing to other sites). Hotel room was spacious. Decoration of the room was sweet, but little bit tired. Reception was super friendly and helpful.

Generally, if you are traveling with family and want to stay centrally - this is an option. Still, the hotel is slightly washed-out, so take it only if you can get a deal for it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My favorite place to stay in manhattan. Lots of personality. Great rooftop bar in warmer weather. Great bacon! Interesting art! No cookie cutter decor here. Close to Grand Central. Always clean, great service, free wifi!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I read a lot of reviews and was a little nervous going into this hotel, but a friend of mine that lived in NYC recommended it so I trusted her. All in all it was good. The hotel room felt like you were staying at your Grandma's house, or an east coast B&B. The room was very spacious. I've stayed in a few hotels in NYC for work that were a lot more $ per night and the rooms were tiny, but the Rogers Smith was a great size. It is VERY close to all the NYC areas; Broadway (we went and say How to Succeed in Business - highly recommend), Times Square, Central Park and shopping on Park Ave. The Staff didn't blow me away with customer service, however i wouldn't say they were rude or anything either. One of the best parts about the rooms is they all have mini fridges in them. There is a drug store and a liquor store right across the street, so we bought some stuff for a night cap. My only complaint is that there is something up with the water there; when you take a shower without even touching the faucets the water fluctuates between very hot to very cold and back to very hot again. The last day we were there they posted a note saying that someone was going to be in to fix the water...so they seemed to be aware of the problem. If you are looking for elegance, great customer service, and high class this isn't the hotel for you, but if you want a cheaper hotel that is close to everything and a comfy bed to sleep in - this is the place!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Having lived in the city in my younger days, My wife and I have travled back and forth for weekend visits a few times a year staying in hotels all around the city. Finding The Roger Smith on line, turns out to be a great find. This visit we decided to take our 4 young children with us for their first time to the city. First off the greeting staff were very helpful and friendly, the room was clean and comfortable for all 6 of us and the location was perfect. check out at noon hotel staff held our bags for the day for us to enjoy the rest of our trip. I would love to stay here again on our next trip.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family