“Will Stay Again” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Roger Smith Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Roger Smith Hotel
Ranked #135 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Paradise Valley, Arizona
“Will Stay Again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

Our room was large and bright, two large windows, fresh paint, crown molding and redone bathroom. The King Bed was wonderful and the location was the best. You can walk to the fashionable shopping streets of Madison and Fifth, the theater district is 6 cross town blocks and the Lexington Avenue subway is at Grand Central. Our room was made up and very clean everyday. I think they are redoing the rooms so you might ask for one that is redone this is just a guess because of the other reviews I've read. The halls could use re-carpeting but you don't stay in the halls and for an average of $200 a night in nyc it would be hard to do better.

Room Tip: call direct for best rates
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Turkish first
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

I am a frequent traveler to NYC -- I was having trouble getting a room on a recent trip and a colleague said "try the Roger Smith" it is a no frills boutique hotel. Immediately I was concerned, but I don't have to be all about the frills. Ok, the good -- excellent location, walking distance to everything, the staff was great. I got in 20 minutes after the restaurant had closed and just wanted a glass of wine before bed. The manager said no problem and brought me glass, no charge. All really good. BUT the room was outdated. It had really bad furnishings -- starting with Kelly Green carpet and drapes. I felt like I had stepped back in time into my grandmothers guest bedroom. It wasn't bad for one night and I might stay here again in a pinch but I won't make it my regular spot.

Stroud, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stayed at the Roger Smith in early October. The good aspects are the large room (we had a 'junior suite'), the comfortable, big bed, the central location of the hotel, and the free wi-if.
However, beyond the lobby, the hotel has an overall feeling of neglect hanging over it, and needs a thorough clean - the carpet in our room was filthy. Although the junior suite had a microwave and fridge (based in a cupboard) there were no plates, cutlery etc, so don't quite see the point. The very small bathroom needed up-dating - the shower was over the bath, with a rather yucky shower curtain.
Another disturbing aspect was the 'grade pending' notice on the front window - the hotel kitchen had received a pretty damning hygiene report from NYC inspectors (being nosy I looked on their website) in April. If I was running a hotel, I would not care to have that advertised to all and sundry... and I think gives an indication of the overall attitude. Not sure what happens if you have booked breakfast with your room, which we hadn't.
We enjoyed our holiday in New York, but would not stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

Excellent location..great staff.. Rooms are large with nice comfortable beds! Decorated to give you and old school feel... My only complaint was the bathroom needing major updating. My family and I enjoyed ourselves and would stay here again! Excellent customer service!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

A night at the Roger Smith reminded me of the many evenings I spent visiting my aunt in Montreal. Traditional style furniture, authentic warmth from the staff at the from desk, spacious rooms that encouraged a relaxing stay. The neighborhood is quieter than most mid-town spots and is filled with excellent dining options.

Avon, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012 via mobile

I loved this hotel...it is so cute and the location is awesome.
Now it is an older hotel, don't expect something brand new and shiny. We checked in at about 1..and our room wasn't ready. So we went out and did a tour, saw a play and then did dinner. So by the time we got back it was about 130. Apparently they put us as a no show and gave our room away. We ended up getting a one bedroom suite with a balcony! It was huge.
There is free wifi...it was very slow but it worked.

I used valet cause I thought it was easier...but it's 35 a day. I thought we'd be out by 1 the next day. We got back at 230 and they charged me another 35. I figured it would happen but wanted to let you know valet is an easy option, but beware of the cost.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank dizzygoo82
Louisville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

The hotel is conveniently set in the heart of Midtown at Lex in between 47th and 48th. Great location and excellent people to greet you. It's nice to have free wifi too for a change. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the rooms are among the largest I have ever stayed in New York, where I can fit most hotel rooms in my bedroom closet. But, and this is a big but for me, I thought the rooms were filthy. I can live with the stray hair on the floor, but hair was gunked on the underside of the conditioner bottle. I threw it away. The glass shelves in the bathroom were so dusty that I wiped them off myself, essentially sacrificing my wash cloth for the day. In the corner between the bath tub and toilet, soot seemed to be fermenting. It was just flat gross. But, the thing that irritated me the most was the waste baskets still had Kleenexes in them when I first checked in, and the cleaning lady never emptied them during my four day stay. I suppose I could have asked for a better clean up, but I'm in town for work, not for managing the cleaning crew. This is truly a fine building with wonderful art inside. It would easily be a 4 star, maybe even a 5 star, in my opinion if it were just cleaner.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Dear Thurman_The_Cat,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay with us. While I’m pleased to hear that you received a warm welcome, I’m very disappointed to know that you were dissatisfied with your accommodations. Your concerns have been noted and our executive team will follow-up to ensure that all your remarks are addressed. Please provide me with your room number and We will take the neccessary steps for improvements.

We hope you’ll consider a future stay with us so that we can provide a memorable experience.

Best regards,