“not your moneys worth”

Roger Smith Hotel
Ranked #109 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 November 2012

i booked this hotel through a third party site that works with the roger hotel and found a fantastic deal so i thought why not book and by the looks of the photo it looked rather good. i planned to stay 5 nights here and on the second day from checking in i checked my account to see that they had taken the whole amount of my stay on hold when i have been travelling all over america before visiting nyc and other hotels have only taken a max of 200. so i decided to call the front desk and ask them to why was it that they held more then 1000 dollars... they replied it was normal for hotels to do this but then mentioned that our bill was an additional 400 dollars from what we had been given on the confirmation. they insisted that we were wrong and that we had to pay the 400 dollars more then what was shown on our confirmation letter. they kept on saying that its not their problem and said we had to pay. any way at the end of it all the stuffed up and had to give it to us at the price that we were originally meant to get it for. and honestly the money that they charge here is not worth it, the rooms are old the decor is disgusting and is rather noisy. the only thing going for this hotel is the location, spend that little bit extra and got to another hotel. this hotel def needs a revamp my grandmothers house is more modern then this hotel.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank rlmessina

Reviewed 19 November 2012

The hotel has big rooms by NYC standards. However, I found the bed uncomfortable, the rooms not very sound proof and really tacky with floral wall paper. The staff was very nice. I would not hesitate to stay here again if the price is right.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if you can
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chasicakes
Reviewed 19 November 2012 via mobile

Awesome hotel with beautiful rooms. Friendly staff and a cozy bar/ restaurant. I've stayed there on 2 occasions, one week at the time. Both times excellent! I would certainly recommend this hotel to first time NYC travellers since it's a decent walking distance to lots of cool places!

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Susanne D
Reviewed 17 November 2012

The Roger Smith is in a great (IMHO) central location. Easy to get many places from the hotel. No full dining room, but a cozy bar where there was a continental breakfast and limited menu other times. Room was fine, internet, t.v. all fine. Bathroom was tiny, but had all that's needed (except no tub). Price was reasonable for central Manhattan.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 November 2012

My first impression looking pictures and entering the lobby was "old hotel, dirty carpet, mustiness... I'm gonna need a spare nose".

In fact, the hotel seems outdated and deserves a redecoration here and there and if some old furnitures, threadbare carpet or scratched walls affects your mood, think twice before stay at Roger Smith. However, it took just 5 minutes to make me feel confortable about room cleaning and general care when I realized I wasn't suffering any rhinitis or allergy I usually have in any dusty place.

The attendents were very gentle and pleased to help us since we left our luggages early in the morning before check-in till find a big cab to take us to the airport and everytime in between.

The highlight of the hotel is the great location: 5-15 minutes walk distance to subways, Grand Central Terminal, 5th Ave, Bryant Park, the UN, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, Times Square and lots of every sort of stores, restaurants and coffees.

It was a very pleasure 3 nights stay. I Recommend!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I recently stayed at the Roger Smith because I read some good reviews about it. And the price seemed reasonable for NYC. I almost left after 5 minutes. No food. No bottled water. Room clock not on time. Lamp was one of those bed lamps that shed so little light it was useless for reading. Street noise (to be expected in NYC). Coffee maker not working properly. Decaffeinated coffee available in room. No coffee with caffeine. Finally the hotel came up with one miniature little coffee to brew. ONE in the entire hotel, they told me. Finally someone did uncover two more coffees with caffeine. Lots of conditioners in the bathroom, but no shampoo. Lots of sewing kits provided (I did not need to sew) but no essentials, except that there was a toothbrush. Nice touch. The only good thing about this hotel was the art project going on downstairs--very interesting. But you don't have to stay in the hotel to watch the artists at work. I was not happy with this hotel, and would prefer a hotel with food and water, a lamp, and reliable caffeine. Good points--comfortable bed, and TV worked just fine, but that's about it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank molly j
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My sister and I booked online through Expedia, and got a better price than what was listed on the hotel's website so make sure to shop around.

Price aside, it was a good choice for us. The decor is a bit dated but seems well-cared for. The bathroom was clean and seemed like things had been scrubbed vs merely wiped down. The room was a good size and included a large closet and flat screen tv. The windows open which is nice, although it can get a bit loud at night. Depends on your tolerance for noise, I guess.

Bed were comfy and again, clean. I think there was a mini fridge under the tv but I didn't really check that out. There was also a note in the hall indicating that there are safes in the room but I didn't see one. I didn't hear any noise from adjacent rooms which was a plus as this seems to be a common issue in other hotels I have stayed in.

The guy behind the desk was very friendly and helpful and did a good job of making us comfortable, ensuring that we had the right room type and info for food and airport transportation.

This is a good choice for those who aren't willing or able to spend too much on a hotel but appreciate a clean room and a friendly smile from staff. The location is great and affords an easy walk to so much in midtown, the subway, Grand Central, etc. I will return when I get to NYC in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Lexington may get a bit noisy, but you should ask about what the other exposures are li...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends