First the not so good... The phone in our room did not work; not a huge deal but still. Next, some of the lights and lamps didn't function as well. It had to be the wiring and not the bulbs; again, not a huge deal but this was quite annoying. Lastly, the comforter on the bed was white and they had it in some kind of cover. The cover itself was clean and the comforter inside seemed to be clean as well but there were some questionable stains on it right at the top that just didn't wash out completely (maybe coffee and fruit punch... I hope). I know white is hard to keep spotless but a little bleach could've probably solved this. The shower curtain just seemed to be placed too far to the inside of the tub. It constantly came in contact with my shoulder and arm while showering which kinda forced me to hug the opposite wall which was very odd.
On to the good... There was free wifi. They had some type of dvd rental service with a huge catalog which would be cool If you had to spend a lot of time in the room though I didn't use it. The TV has cable. The staff was very nice and check-in/check-out was a breeze. There's a bar downstairs and the bartender is very friendly. The mattress itself was very comfortable as well as the pillows. And besides the odd shower curtain placement, the bathroom was nice for the most part. Location of the hotel is good, its within a short walk to multiple subway lines and bars/restaurants. We stayed 2 nights and didnt have any problem getting around and actually did spend a good amount of time in the room (besides sleeping) since a nor'easter was upon us at one point.
I actually wound up booking this place because I had to cancel my reservation elsewhere due to traveling a day later than planned due to a snow storm. I cant say I'd necessarily stay again unless I got a really good rate but I do not regret staying here and still had an overall favorable experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Classic 1930's New York skyscraper - Midtown location on east side, 3 blocks to Grand Central Station. Home away from home. People. Art. Stories. Ideas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Roger Smith Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Roger Smith
- Roger Smith Hotel New York
- Roger Smith New York City