“Perfect for my family”

Roger Smith Hotel
Ranked #114 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We needed two beds for my husband, me and our two young boys in a central location and that is exactly what we finally found at reasonable price. Our room was spacious and clean and the beds were very comfortable. We were greeted warmly and received early check in at 9:30 am with a junior suite (an upgrade)! It felt more like a small, European hotel than many of the nondescript hotels I often stay in NYC in the same price bracket. Free delicious Vermont yogurt and granola in the lobby made a nice snack for our whole family. We were on the third floor, which was a bit noisy, but it was a rainy night and the sounds of the rain along with turning on the fan in our room drowned out most of the street noise. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: We were in 304, a junior suite in the corner of the property right on Lexington. Lots of street nois...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Great deal on a quick jaunt to the city. Good location. hotel is combo of deco and artsy. Will definitely stay there again. People were very helpful. Lobby had Greek yogurt & granola for free. Beds were very comfortable & nice toiletry basket. Good deal!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 27 March 2014

A friendly staff greets you to check you into the very cozy rooms. It is an older building and the rooms are tastefully decorated to fit the time frame of the building. The bar was a comfortable place for us to get a night cap. We enjoyed all the art decorating the building as well. Great find!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KathiMB B
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel 2 nights. A friend who used to work there recommended it to us. I got trapped by the nonrefundable price before the friend said he could probably get us a better rate. To compensate, we were told that we would have a nicer room with a bottle of wine, both of which did not happen. Also, the price of our room was cheaper the day of than when I bought it under the nonrefundable trap. I was too tired to complain at the time.

Then we had to call down to the front desk a few times (to ask for a DVD and to report a broken thermostat) and I had to call again both times because the person forgot to respond to my request. It was a disappointing trip.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 6 nights and yes it does need updated as some reviews have stated but can recommend it for its cleanliness and large rooms. It was great to come back too after a long day of sightseeing. Lovely comfortable bed, coffee maker and hot shower. Staff very helpful and pleasant. My only gripe is the bar opening hours which was 5-10pm. Good location couple of minutes from Grand Central Station and 5th Avenue. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Maybe a room to rear of hotel if street noise bothers you.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I booked my room at the Roger Smith through my corporate travel site and chose it for it's location and reasonable price as well as seemingly fine looking online photos. I also assumed a 3-star boutique hotel with mostly 4-star customer reviews would be if nothing else simple and clean. Now, I'm choosing to believe that everything was cleaned properly as the linens were fine, but the room itself was very tired. The carpet was very worn in places, the bathroom had not been updated in decades (guessing since the 50s), the moldings were cracked-- it felt very old and in some places very dingy. In fact, it looked as though a large part of the plaster crown molding was about to fall down in my room. The entire hotel is simply in need of a major renovation. That said, the staff was friendly and the room was large for New York standards.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The hotel is okay but I don't understand why hotel had to be charging my credit card at random 3 times. Is not funny and am still waiting for them to fix it. The rooms are okay, they parking was another issue at their website they wrote $35 but when we got there they told us that the parking is $50

• Stayed: March 2014