“An upgrade doesn't necessarily mean better.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Roger Smith Hotel

Roger Smith Hotel
Ranked #125 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“An upgrade doesn't necessarily mean better.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Overall dirty. Old and dingy. Carpets soiled. Upholstered Furniture in room soiled and stained. Worn out and outdated furniture in room. Boards between box spring and mattress for support. Corridor carpets water stained, collection of books in room strange and "dark". I requested a room away from elevator, housekeeping closet and no connecting room. ..I got all three!! Manager stoic and emphatic. .. suggested that if I needed to vacate and find another hotel, she would be happy to accommodate my desire. .. in other words.... she had no problem with me leaving.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank rrangel1128
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Rrangel1128,

Thank you so much for your feedback – and I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your stay with us. We are truly committed to providing our guests with great service and beautiful, comfortable accommodations. As we continue to nurture our guests experiences, I kindly ask that you reach out to us directly so that we can better look into the issues you raise in your comments.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Best regards,

Marlenny Paredes
wecare@rogersmith.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Turkish first
Moe, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I couldn't believe it. A few blocks from grand central station on Lexington in the thick of mid-town for a hundred bucks a night pp. we had two bedrooms, kitchenette, large lounge, dining (seats eight easily) and lots of wardrobe space.
The hotel staff were friendly, helpful and available. The decor maybe a little tired, but clean and maintained. I'd stay there again at the drop of a hat

Room Tip: Any, except I believe they still have smoking floors
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rosco513
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

The Roger Smith was perfect for a vacation in NYC. It's in a convenient location--near the subway, walking distance to Broadway, Rockefeller Center etc.--yet relatively quiet by Manhattan standards. Our room (a junior suite) was big, clean, bright and had a beautiful, large bathroom. We enjoyed the yogurt and granola each morning for breakfast, and made frequent visits to the delis across the street and the Starbucks next door.

Room Tip: Our corner suite on an upper floor was quiet even when there was a big group in the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

2 Thank Susan A
New Britain, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

The Roger Smith is in a GREAT location! We were within walking distance to Grand Central, St. Pat's, 30 Rock, Central Park, and several subway stops. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was big for NYC standards. The yogurt and granola in the lobby was yummy and a great snack. There are several restaurants and cafes around the hotel. We didn't eat at the bar/restaurant in the hotel but it looked busy the nights we were there. If street noise in a issue, I would make sure to request a room that doesn't face Lex. Ave. I would definitely stay at the Roger Smith in the future.

Room Tip: If street noise in a issue, I would make sure to request a room that doesn't face Lex. Ave.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank 791Ana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I like this hotel a lot. Staff was friendly and helpful. We had a deluxe suite which was huge and was about the cost of two standard rooms so great for families or groups. It was pricey but I feel like all NYC hotels are.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Lovingjesster
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

You can't beat the location if you are doing business in the Park Avenue area. You can walk to 2nd or 3rd and find great restaurants and bars. The rooms are a bit old, but they are very clean and larger than most in the area.

Only complaint I've ever had was that they provide 2 TV remotes and I can never figure out how to use them, also no matter what room I'm in ESPN2 either has no sound, or sound so low you have to turn volume all the way up to hear it. All in all though that's not a big deal.

I think best thing I can say is that I often recommend it to my colleagues who are traveling to NY on business. I am in NY 10-12 times a year and almost always stay at the Roger Smith.

Room Tip: Junior Suites are excellent and a great value. Higher floors are my personal preference.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

It was a nice stay, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was going hear "NORMAN" shouted at any moment. The décor has that Bates Motel/Hotel setting a little eerie. It really needs to be updated. It's like their advertising it at 'homey and quaint' as an excuse NOT to update their hotel. But, they do offer crispy green apples and greek yogurt with granola toppings in the lobby.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Marlenny P, Guest Relations Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Pmdi66,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your most recent stay with us. What you have described is certainly not the kind of experience we envision for our guests and I'm truly sorry to read about your displeasure with your accommodations.

Our guests feedback is valuable to us and I'll be available to further discuss additional details regarding your stay.

Best regards,