“Theft at the hotel and problems to check-out” 2 of 5 bubbles

Roger Smith Hotel
Ranked #134 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Theft at the hotel and problems to check-out”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I scheduled my stay at the roger smith hotel with james Fox(Director of Sales) and I faced a lot of problems.
On April 2, I decided to let the housekeeping enter my room and at night, when I came back, I noticed that some things inside my refrigerator was missing. Luckily, the things of greater value were locked inside my luggage.
Since then, I didn't ask for cleaning service (what I was paying for).
Two days later I realized that someone entered my room without informing me.
I was really disapointed with this hotel and I was worried about my things. I wasted many time everyday to keep everything locked.
Definitely, it was not what I expected from the roger smith hotel.
The heater did not work properly. It stopped working and did not return for one or two days.
My checkout was a mess. I paid for 12 nights with cash on my check-in. One week later, I booked one more night using Hoteis.com's web site and I informed everything needed to the front desk. At check out, they tryed to charge me again the 13 days. I explained everything to the front-desk and I waited for 15 minutes for him to redo all accounts. Even though, they charged me again the last night and I payed twice for the same "service". I called the company (Hoteis.com) and they told me that The Roger Smith received my stay and was not necessary to charge me again. Now I'm trying to solve my problem.
I don't really recommend this hotel to anyone.
The hotel staff convinced me that my bags would not fit in a conventional taxi and they convinced me to call a bigger car. When I realized, they rented a limousine to take 4 large suitcases and two small. When I arrived in Brazil, I took it home in a taxi much smaller than conventional cars used as taxi in New York.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tombstone17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Overall dirty. Old and dingy. Carpets soiled. Upholstered Furniture in room soiled and stained. Worn out and outdated furniture in room. Boards between box spring and mattress for support. Corridor carpets water stained, collection of books in room strange and "dark". I requested a room away from elevator, housekeeping closet and no connecting room. ..I got all three!! Manager stoic and emphatic. .. suggested that if I needed to vacate and find another hotel, she would be happy to accommodate my desire. .. in other words.... she had no problem with me leaving.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank rrangel1128
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Rrangel1128,

Thank you so much for your feedback – and I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your stay with us. We are truly committed to providing our guests with great service and beautiful, comfortable accommodations. As we continue to nurture our guests experiences, I kindly ask that you reach out to us directly so that we can better look into the issues you raise in your comments.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Best regards,

Marlenny Paredes
wecare@rogersmith.com
Moe, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I couldn't believe it. A few blocks from grand central station on Lexington in the thick of mid-town for a hundred bucks a night pp. we had two bedrooms, kitchenette, large lounge, dining (seats eight easily) and lots of wardrobe space.
The hotel staff were friendly, helpful and available. The decor maybe a little tired, but clean and maintained. I'd stay there again at the drop of a hat

Room Tip: Any, except I believe they still have smoking floors
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rosco513
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

The Roger Smith was perfect for a vacation in NYC. It's in a convenient location--near the subway, walking distance to Broadway, Rockefeller Center etc.--yet relatively quiet by Manhattan standards. Our room (a junior suite) was big, clean, bright and had a beautiful, large bathroom. We enjoyed the yogurt and granola each morning for breakfast, and made frequent visits to the delis across the street and the Starbucks next door.

Room Tip: Our corner suite on an upper floor was quiet even when there was a big group in the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

2 Thank Susan A
New Britain, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

The Roger Smith is in a GREAT location! We were within walking distance to Grand Central, St. Pat's, 30 Rock, Central Park, and several subway stops. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was big for NYC standards. The yogurt and granola in the lobby was yummy and a great snack. There are several restaurants and cafes around the hotel. We didn't eat at the bar/restaurant in the hotel but it looked busy the nights we were there. If street noise in a issue, I would make sure to request a room that doesn't face Lex. Ave. I would definitely stay at the Roger Smith in the future.

Room Tip: If street noise in a issue, I would make sure to request a room that doesn't face Lex. Ave.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank 791Ana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I like this hotel a lot. Staff was friendly and helpful. We had a deluxe suite which was huge and was about the cost of two standard rooms so great for families or groups. It was pricey but I feel like all NYC hotels are.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Lovingjesster
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

You can't beat the location if you are doing business in the Park Avenue area. You can walk to 2nd or 3rd and find great restaurants and bars. The rooms are a bit old, but they are very clean and larger than most in the area.

Only complaint I've ever had was that they provide 2 TV remotes and I can never figure out how to use them, also no matter what room I'm in ESPN2 either has no sound, or sound so low you have to turn volume all the way up to hear it. All in all though that's not a big deal.

I think best thing I can say is that I often recommend it to my colleagues who are traveling to NY on business. I am in NY 10-12 times a year and almost always stay at the Roger Smith.

Room Tip: Junior Suites are excellent and a great value. Higher floors are my personal preference.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business