“3 days in Roger Smith Hotel”
Review of Roger Smith Hotel

Roger Smith Hotel
Ranked #121 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“3 days in Roger Smith Hotel”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Good hotel, but value for money place. The Granola and Yogurt which they serve is a nice idea. Stay there and don't expect the world. Some rooms have window air con which do not work well. I complained and they changed my room. The latter room was much better. Noise from the street is a problem, but if the ac works well, you will sleep sleep peacefully. Over all a good experience. If you wish to visit woodbury commons oulet mall, book the bus yourself, the hotel will charge you a USD 10 commission.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Turkish first
east coast of florida
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The 3 of us on a girls weekend LOVED LOVED LOVED our corner room on the 7th floor (junior double). Fresh fruit and yogurt at check-in, openable windows!, an in-room bookcase, mini-fridge, cool and intimate rooftop bar, lobby bar, Starbucks next door, wine store and drugstore nearby - I mean, what more can you ask for?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank wanderlover
Lulea, Sweden
Reviewed 2 June 2014

A friendly hotel with a good location close to Grand Central Station. We had a nice, spacious room on the 15th floor; roof top bar on 16th. There are lots of nice reasturants, diners and breakfast possibilities in the area around the hotel and easy access to the subway (green line, 4,5 and 6). Staff is friendly and helpful; housekeeping excellent!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is my second staying in this hotel. It really charmed me the first time, I tried another hotel my second visit in NY, just to compare the location and the comfort, but no - I realized Roger Smith hotel it's where I want to stay and so I did my third visit now in May. It's central, "far away" from Times Square (thank good!), very nice room in a little old fashioned way, (I stayed in a queen bedroom), very friendly staff, the housekeeping excellent, always helpful staff in the reception. Even if it's located in a busy street, just bring your earplugs and that problem is solved. So if you don't look for something big, exclusive or tourist-like, in the middle of everything, and are not to "picky", you should try this little hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I've stayed here many times. The rooms are fine. The location is great. I don't mind the lack of facilities (no restaurant, gym or pool). On this occasion when I checked in there was an error in my booking: they had booked me for the preceding night.

What I didn't find out until I checked out was that they had charged a "no show", and already taken the money from my credit card, along with the bill for my stay. I felt this was unreasonable, given that I'd stayed as many nights as booked, at higher rates due to different days of the week, and the hotel certainly didn't appear to be full. Still, I understand hotels have a "no show" policy, and I'm prepared to believe the booking error was mine.

What was frustrating was that I was unaware until they'd taken the money, and then that no-one was available to discuss it with me. I had to follow up subsequently with the booking office, and even then I had to speak to several people. In the end I got a partial refund - an outcome that probably satisfied neither of us.

Good customer service would have involved making me aware of the problem when I checked in, giving me the opportunity to sort it out, in person, face to face. This "poor" review is a reflection of what I feel was inadequate customer service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

New York hotel rooms are small....yeah, well get on with it. I had such a marvelous stay at the Hotel Roger, despite having to read the garbage that people had written about this hotel on line. Who cares if the bathrooms are small, and if there are products to sell in the room? When I gashed my foot, the stick on plasters saved my life. I was upgraded on check in to a higher floor because of a requested ESB view which they honored, giving me a stylish room and a small terrace with the most wonderful view of Madison and beyond. The room was uber masculine and sleek with fabulous decoration and more than enough space for me, a large man. and seven full days of shopping and more shopping. The bed was a dream to sleep in, king sized and comfortable. Bed linen is Egyptian Cotton, and the level of housekeeping absolutely fantastic and attentive. Even on a lie in I left the room late came back early and all was always prepared and ready for me. Angelina was the housekeeper I believe, and she was always around to check things with a beautiful smile.
I was pleased to meet Kirsty at Reception one night. It was because of her attention to detail,on my first enquiry that told me to choose the Roger in the first place. I felt that she really put customer service to a new level. The Reception is staffed by smiling attentive staff, who all seemed to know that a nod or a smile, or usually a personal greeting makes the guest feel good. It was Christmas time and so the welcome hot apple and cinnamon punch stylishly placed in a silver samovar in the foyer, to greet the coldest of guests, was really appreciated. I asked Kirsty if I could pay for a few hours extra and delay check out for the next day...my foot was really painful. It was December in New York and that's peak but she gave me an extra hour and during that time personally rang me in the room to see how I was and to say that the housekeeping staff were working around me and not to leave my room just yet if I didn't want to. Such service, such attention to detail, such kindness.
I had a great stay in a stylish hotel in a beautiful room in a Hotel that cared, and it didn't cost as fortune. Madison is safe and busy and Midtown, taxis are on a re run past the door, which again will be hailed for you, just as the door is always opened for you. Thank you all at the Hotel Roger. I will look no further for a Hotel in NYC in future because you have everything I need and have created a sanctuary here in the Big Apple. Ignore the petty and negative comments and look forward to be treated with style, for sure you will be!

Room Tip: Higher floors have distant view of the Empire State Building and the terraces are a great feature wh...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 May 2014

When you've got a great mid-town location, you can probably set your standards for care lower if you're hovering around $300/night. Bathrooms updated but in the bedroom I feared the 1970s era carpet was home to dust mites. Single pane windows meant I could hear lovers'quarrels at 3am from my 15th floor room. On the nice side, internet and free morning yogurt and granola.The staff were phoning it in. You had the impression they were a little embarrassed to work there. Overall, spend less for your conscience or more for your comfort, but this is not a well run hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business