“Friendly service and wonderful location”
Review of Roger Smith Hotel

Roger Smith Hotel
Ranked #122 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Friendly service and wonderful location”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Very conveniently located close to subway station and near Times Square. Hotel staff is extremely friendly. Nice, clean room; spacious in NYC standard. They stored our luggage for several hours after we checked out. This was totally hassle free. The restaurant was closed which was inconvenient.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Turkish first
Madison, WI
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I start by confessing that I am a hard core loyalty traveler. I've been know to travel up to 1/2 hour+ out of my way to stay at my preferred hotel chain to collect my points and nights towards my Diamond Status. This week, my company's travel policy required me to choose the Roger Smith Hotel. Ugh - had to gear myself up for a "never heard of it" hotel... Well, here's where I have to overuse the word WOW!! Upon check-in, I was told I had been upgraded - really, on my first ever stay?? If this was their attempt to attract more business from my company, it TOTALLY WORKED! I got to the 'room' and it was bigger than most Manhattan apartments -- huge living room with sitting area, dining area, desk are and fireplace. In a hallway to the master bedroom, there were four doors. One door opened into a closet, one into a bathroom, one into a kitchen (microwave, sink and mini fridge) and the last opened into A SECOND BEDROOM (twin bed, dresser and TV.) The Master had a king bed, TV, fully loaded bookshelf, and walk-in closet. The furniture was shabby chic -- worn, dented, antique'ish. Overall darling! At a co-workers request, I checked out the roof-top bar - full bar, seats about 25 on wrought iron furniture, brick with flower planters - very nice for an after work drink!! I can't speak to the 'regular' hotel rooms, but this experience has already got me spreading the word to my co-workers!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank WiWeezie
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We spent our honeymoon at the Roger Smith Hotel in New York. The hotel is centrally located on Lexington Ave - near the Central Station and Chrysler Buliding. We had a suite which was furnished with great attention to detail. The reception staff gave us very good advice - especially Randy Ogoff. Friendliness and cleanliness were very good. The beds were an American highlight with excellent comfort.The hotel has two bars, one on the ground floor and one on the top floor as a rooftop bar. We enjoyed our stay in New York and are looking forward to come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Last year at this time I wrote a glowing review saying the staff was great, even though I never had any problems for them to handle. But this year when I encountered some issues, I was really surprised at how I was treated. I arrived on Sat. night and stayed on the 7th Floor facing Lexington Ave. The noise was unbelievable. When I told the staff they laughed and said that was due to all the clubs in the area, and confirmed that the noise ended at 4:30 a.m because the clubs closed at 4 a.m. The other reaction I got was they were surprised that it bothered me since I live in a big city, and one guy said he could have given me ear plugs. They assured me it would be better on Sun. night. Well, the club noise was gone, but the trucks rambling by all night hitting the potholes were too much, and I finally asked to change my room. I was asked why I hadn't changed it earlier! I explained why, and finally got another room. The last night there, some people on the fire escape had a party at 3:30 a.m. I called the front desk, but no one came and I handled it myself. Then other folks were on the fire escape drinking at 5 a.m., and a hotel person came up right away and handled it. I didn't sleep for three nights, and got the feeling the staff couldn't be bothered. I was told it was "hard to run a hotel." I understand that, but I am in customer service and know that most people appreciate at least a little kindness. I'm still bewildered as to how this ended up being so different than my first visit, except that this time I needed help with a problem.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank PatriciaM44
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 24 June 2014

very pleasant bar, artistic environment, our room had an old bed but the room size and everything else was OK, hotel has a very good position but noisy (Manhattan!), very good and healthy complimentary breakfast, the staff was very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: higher floors have less noise
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Its just in the right spot to get everywhere. Grand Central ,5th Avenue are just a stone throw away. Hotel staff are very helpful particularly Randy on the front desk who know which diners are the best to go to. ( Try 2nd Street Diner). They supply you with Yogurt, nuts and apples so you can start your day without rushing to fine food. Art work around is fab.

But , the room can differ a lot, don't be embarrassed to ask for another. Some rooms have the most fabulous bathrooms

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed at the Roger Smith for four nights with two friends. Perfect location in midtown Manhattan within walking distance to everything. Very friendly staff at the reception desk, a small bar in the ground floor and a very nice and popular rooftop bar. We stayed in a Premium Suite and as it says on the website "It's a much more civilized stay if in fact you have the space to spread out. These suites are comfortable enough and well appointed enough that you could in fact invite your friends that you know in New York up to have a drink in your suite."

• Stayed June 2014