“My Dream Hotel in NYC”

Roger Smith Hotel
Ranked #114 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 December 2010

I travel to New York City for business on a fairly regular basis and given a choice I would never stay anywhere other than the Roger Smith - the art exhibits, many bookshelves, friendly staff, small scale, central location, comfy rooms...it all combines to make me feel like I am in a home away from home even when my meetings in the city are a bit stressful. It makes me sad that the two previous reviewers were so off base because I recently recommended the hotal to a friend and she was turned off when she saw those two reviews. So here I am to say - this hotel is wonderful and I plan to bring my whole family here to stay on winter break.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 December 2010

It's always a worry when a veteran cab driver says in his 20 years+ he has never once driven anyone to this hotel - and it was very clear why when we pulled up. The tacky entrance was not the way you should be greeted to a hotel in my opinion it was shoddy looking from the outside and didn't get any better inside.

Starting with at least one positive comment - the hotel was very centrally located within walking distance of grand central station, times square etc. The staff were friendly as well although greeting me with "welcome back" when I had never been to the hotel before was a bit odd.

Sigh...then you get to the room...As you step in, you are immediately assaulted by head ache inducing blue floral wallpaper (yes, wallpaper!) a grotty carpet that looks like it's been there since the 1920's and the weirdest furniture I've seen in a long time - think Faux Chippendale dresser, paired with a pine desk.

After the initial shock, that's when you really start to take notice of the other elements in the room...from the sink in the middle of the room (i tease you not) to the portable TV circa 1984, to the bed with glass bed knobs, to the wilted potted plants - and my favorite, the laminated picture cards of - one presumes - Roger Smith himself from the 1970's. - WHY??!

On the plus side, the room was quite spacious for a NY hotel, the bed was comfortable, they had free wi-fi in the rooms and the shower was powerful - although tiny so the shower curtain tried to stick to you (gross).

Honestly, I'm sure somewhere somebody thinks this outdated stale look is "quaint" well - it "aint". The hotel had no fitness center, no business center and was wholly inappropriate for a business traveler.

The sad thing is that it wasn't like this was $175 a night - this was a $299 a night room. Honestly, there are some really cute hotels in New York - do not dampen your time in the city by staying here.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 December 2010

Stayed here for three nights on a business trip. Stayed here due to great location near office. I usually stay at the Paramount or W. I cannot believe what an absolute dump this hotel is.

1. Doorman totally uninterested in even holding the door for me upon arrival.
2. Unbelievably shabby room (for almost $400/night!!)
3. Main elevator not operating, so had to use service elevator - lovely pile of dirty laundry welcoming me when service elevator opened.
4. Did I mention how shabby and worn the room was?
5. TV didn't work well - sound fluctuated

I wouldn't stay at this hotel again if I had a choice between it and a park bench. I'd take the bench.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2010

We stayed here for Thanksgiving and loved it. The staff were very nice and accommodating, the rooms were good size for NYC and the location was amazing. The only down side was they offer free DVD's which is great but our room did not have a dvd player. They did say they were fixing it so hopefully that will change. We will definitely stay here next time we come in the Spring.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2010

A few blocks from Grand Central, and close to dining and entertainment, this was a good choice for our two night NYc getaway. Very friendly staff, free wifi, inexpensive breakfast available across from Hotel on Lexington Ave. Rooms were clean, attractive, free in rom coffee and frig. Some noise from Lexington Ave

• Stayed: November 2010
ekkarin, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2010

Dear Mr. Gregspeck,

Thank you for choosing The Roger Smith Hotel. We are only a short train ride away from you. Please come and visit us again this winter and please let us know what we can do to make your stay more pleasurable. You can call the hotel directly for our winter special rate. We are looking forward to see you again at The Roger Smith Hotel.

Reviewed 25 November 2010

I was so happy to see sculptures, paintings, fine digital printed graphics and art!
Also I found in my room a small collection of books in all popular world languages!
I was in Manhattan for an interview for a job with The New York Times.
The agency, is just one block away from RogerSmithHotel!
If hired, I will recommend to NYTimes, all their future applicants to stay in your hotel!
Best regards to Sophie, Kucuk and Randy, they are so gentle!
Valentin

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Dear Ms. Valentin,

Thank you so much for your kind words and taking your time to review The Roger Smith Hotel. We are very happy to learn that your had a wonderful stay with us. I hope that you got to experience our performance space, The Lab Gallery, at the corner of the hotel. We are looking forward to show you all the pieces we have during your next visit.
We wish you the best of luck with NYTimes.

Reviewed 22 November 2010

We were eight women from various locations meeting in NYC to reconnect. Big pluses for us were the location, the caring front desk staff, maid service and especially the accommodations.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Ms. JIN345,

Thank you so much for choosing The Roger Smith Hotel. We are glad to hear that your group had a wonderful stay with us. Please come and visit us again. If there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable one your next visit please feel free to let anyone of us know.