“Great boutique hotel!”

The Roger
Ranked #148 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My family and I just left our stay at the Roger- and I would highly recommend to anyone going to NYC. It's located out of the super touristy area, but still convenient to subway and restaurants. Service was friendly, rooms were clean, and lots of nice touches like wine hour and fresh tea daily. I booked through Jetsetter, so I was able to get a great deal. Only con would be that our air conditioner blew hot air and room would heat up to 80+ during the night....luckily for us, it was freezing in NYC so we just cracked the window to cool it down. On a side note- there is a Chinese restaurant on 33rd (cross close to Broadway) that was delicious and open late!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Empire State Building
Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,996)

Reviewed 24 March 2014

From the moment the doorman greets you, The Roger staff is so professional, and so very helpful. I was late for an event and the staff was so obliging with a taxi waiting for me (after the complimentary glass of wine). The room was a nice size, the bed and sheets were wonderful. It was exactly what I needed after a crazy day. I cannot wait to stay at The Roger again. Great location, one of the best hotels in NYC - hands down.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Pros: location. Close to subway with lots of restaurants nearby. Good customer service at the front desk, free wifi.

Cons: overpriced. Room was small and the air conditioning doesn't work well ( blows out hot air in the middle of the night). Room service barged into the room at 9am on Sunday even though check out time was at 12 noon.

If you are looking for a boutique hotel to stay at in NYC, I would recommend Hotel giraffe just a few blocks down the street instead.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenny W
Jeff_Hentze, General Manager at The Roger, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Jenny W,

I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Like many New York hotels, our rooms are not the largest, but we do try to make it up with service from our team. If you would consider staying with us again then please contact me directly.

jhentze@therogernewyork.com

Reviewed 22 March 2014

When I travel for business, I am looking for maximum "ease of use" and the folks at The Roger certainly delivered. The room was clean, quiet, comfortable, stylish -- and the amenities (shampoo, soap, etc) were in larger containers which means I didn't have to struggle trying to open those ridiculously small soap packages. Seamless internet access and almost instantaneous room service delivery just made me appreciate a hotel that can get the basic "table stakes" right when so many others just can't figure it out. I really loved staying there.
My two comments for areas of improvement would be to have them develop a more sophisticated wine list that reflects the brand of their hotel -- they could be serving some very cool "cult" wines -- and they don't. And the carpets in the elevators look like they could be replaced. But that stuff is minor......

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JQRhoades
Reviewed 18 March 2014

In today's world of boutique hotels, its tough to find the perfect mix of value, amenities, location and great service but the Roger really pulls it off. The lobby is beautifully decorated with modern decor and boasts a stylishly vibrant NYC vibe. The staff is super friendly and accommodating and has a free wine hour Thurs-Sun where guests come down and socialize which is a lot of fun. The rooms are well appointed and clean with great city views. For someone who likes to nit pick, I'm stumped. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Adam H,

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. We really like the décor but it is certainly our warm, friendly staff that makes the difference. I am glad that you enjoyed the wine hour as we jut added this in 2014. I hope to see you back with us again.

All the best,

Reviewed 17 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Roger this past weekend after we attended a black tie event. What a perfect way to end a busy night!
We were greeted by an extremely friendly staff as we walked through the chic looking lobby. Everyone greeted us with a smile. Our room was exceptionally clean and quiet! What a nice surprise to have a quiet room in NYC!
After a long night from our event we had a quite remarkable good nights sleep. The bed was so comfortable as were the pillows. The room never got too hot or too cold and we didn't hear any street traffic or any noise from neighboring rooms.
I love the shampoo and conditioner dispensors in the shower, what a great idea instead of those tiny little bottles.
I would highly recommend the Roger to everyone and would most definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 23slw
Reviewed 15 March 2014

The Roger Williams used to be one of my favorite hotels in NYC. It was boutiquie, fun and funky. Each room was a little special. They were light and bright with fun quilts that made you kinda feel like you were at a high end country inn if that is a thing. Anyway I loved it. I had not stayed there in a little while. I recently visited only to find they renovated, to be like every other hotel in NYC. Dont get me wrong, the rooms were "nice" and very clean. They are now little dark rooms with dark wood furniture and dark linens. The charm all but gone :(. On the upside there is now a lobby bar which did not exist before. I will stay there again but I miss the old charm.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TCHerd

Dear TCHerd,

Thank you for feedback on the hotel. I am sorry that you didn't like the décor changes as part of the recent renovation. We do try to maintain personality and charm through our great team. I hope you will still consider staying with us again. Who knows, maybe you will fall in love again!

Warm regards,