“Decent enough hotel, shocking and dishonest customer service.”
Review of The Roger

The Roger
Ranked #145 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Decent enough hotel, shocking and dishonest customer service.”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

It is such a shame that my experience of this decent enough hotel was ruined by terrible customer service both during and after my stay.

Starting off with the positives:
Great location, near to the Empire State Building and Mid Town atttractions.
Decent sized, well appointed rooms, though it would be nice of the cleaner could learn to dust!

These are of course important, but if you dislike being ripped off, hen avoid this hotel.
There is the laughable "resort fee" which was set at $22 per night when I booked the rooms six months ago. For 5 nights this was $110; not a small sum and it only became apparent after booking. As the room was non refundable it left a bitter taste in the mouth. Not only that, but they actually charged me $24 a night upon check out. This is $120 more than the advertised rate and $10 more than it should have been.

There were also many other issues which have left me out of pocket due to the reception staffs ineptitude and dishonestly (including charging charging accommodation to my British card that they said they wouldn't) that I won't go into here.

Needless to say, they have not responded the various emails I have sent since I stayed there asking for them to be resolve my issues which says a lot about their attitude to customer service I guess.

• Stayed April 2014
9 Thank GazzaBrook
Dear GazzaBrook,

I am sorry that you were unaware of our daily service fee of $24. We do try to be very transparent about this fee (which includes Wifi and free local calls among other things) through the booking processes as well as in our confirmations. I am surprised and disappointed that you found our front desk team unhelpful in resolving your concerns. Please contact me directly and I would be happy to assist. I can be reached via email at jhentze@therogernewyork.com or by phone at 212-448-7260.

Kind regards,

Jeff Hentze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Excellent friendly staff, fun lounge, good restaurant. We liked our room and terrace and really enjoyed the convenience of the restaurant. The breakfast is great - it really held us for the day. Also, the wine hour from 5-6 is fun and provides an opportunity to meet some of the other guests. Murray Hill, while not a "hot" neighborhood, is in a great location for getting both uptown and downtown. My husband also found the hotel to be an easy place from which to work and attend business meetings.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Melissa10
Dear Melissa 10,

Thank you for you kind words about the hotel. Our breakfast in the Parlour is certainly a hearty start to a day of site seeing. We hope to see you back again soon.

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Friendly staff at the door, at the desk, and at the bar. Just the right size and location. Subtle and nice decor. Memorably comfortable bed and spacious bathroom. Didn't like the daily resort charge for "unlimited internet" because I got poor information on how to connect, and couldn't. Great restaurants very close, for breakfast Guy and Gallard at Park and 31st, for dinner, Artisinal on 32nd between Madison and Park and another dinner the other way at Miss Korea BBQ at 10 W 32nd. Bus in front, subway station a block and a half away. Fifteen minute walk down 31st from Penn Station. Who could ask for more?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear PBM_12,
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us in New York. Our team is certainly our biggest asset. Artisinal is one of my favorite restaurants in the neighborhood. I think the fondue is fun and delicious!
Come see us again soon at The Roger.

Oslo, Norway

Great hotel.

Next to the Empire state building and just one/two blocks from 2 subway lines.

Around the hotel you can find a lot of good places for breakfast for 15$

The food at the hotel is actually very good.

I would deftly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank rfcarvalho
Dear rfcarvalho,

I am so glad that your enjoyed your stay with us at The Roger. Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and restaurant. We do think it is a great space to imbibe.

We hope to see you back with us again soon.

Minneapolis
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Nice hotel, very friendly staff, doorman Blake is really helpful, always concerned about helping you. Food is good, manager's happy hour 5-6:00pm (free wine!) is a great way to meet other guests informally. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Since it is a boutique hotel, everything is a little bit smaller. Corner rooms are always the best.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tough2bcool
Dear Tough2bcool,

It is good to see that Blake took good care of you. Blake had been looking after Roger guests for nearly 14 years now!
Hope to see you back with us again soon.

All the best,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We came here after cancelling our booking with another hotel which was terrible
Phillip at front desk is an absolute asset, it's obvious he loves his job, he brightened our day each time we saw him
If you like somewhere a little more intimate, where the staff will have a chat and nothing is too much trouble, stay here, it's definitely worth it
Beautiful decor and comfortable bedding, our room was a little dark but we weren't spending much time in there anyway.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank clstan
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Very happy with the size of the room and the decor, layout well thought out, and more than adequate for a few nights. Bed was massive and very comfy. The bathroom was also done to a good standard, with a walk in shower and lots of ledges to lay out your bits and pieces. Cleaning seemed fine, and I was able to check in at 2pm which, after a long flight, was appreciated. I was initially concerned about noise as the room was opposite the lift and faced the street on the 4th floor, but the only time I was bothered was by a couple of guests yelling out to each other in the room on the floor above.

A lot has been said in previous reviews about the friendliness of the staff. I found them friendly enough but not overly so, although the guys on the door usually wore a lovely genuine smile. Perhaps because I wasn't using the restaurant or bar. Not so impressed with the admin charge which I found to be a bit cheeky - just add the thing onto the room charge, it feels more honest - or the many minibar snacks and drinks sat out on the counter in the room. All were chargeable and took up space where bags could have sat. It also seemed a bit tight to charge for water, an item I find is complimentary in most hotels I stay in. Also, as I was travelling solo on this occasion, I'd hoped to use the space in the lobby, which the photos presented as being quite cozy, to hang out in on occasion as an alternative to the room. It was nice but there wasn't much of it and there never seemed to be space that wasn't taken over by groups of other guests. Perhaps unfortunate timing.

All in all a good stay, with gripes reasonably minor. Felt very safe, was comfortable, and I'd stay here again if on the same rate I had for this stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Taniwha_Blue
Dear Taniwha_Blue,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and only wish that we could have delighted you more. We take the feedback of our guests to heart and will work to do better in the future.