“Totally worth it on hotel tonight ”
Review of The Roger

The Roger
Ranked #150 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Husband and I decided on a last minute trip to NYC and used our hotel tonight app for the first time. For this caliber hotel, completely worth it with that app. We got our room for $179 for a night (going rate was $329 plus tax and fees)!!!

The staff was nice and friendly. The room was clean, modern chic, and quiet.

Weekday complimentary wine happy hour 5-6pm.

Close to grand central.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MDBears

Reviewed 29 August 2014

It was our first trip to New York and we couldn't have asked for a better location. It was a fairly quick taxi ride fro JFK airport, but the best thing for me was it was just two short blocks away from the Empire State and all the shops.

When booking the hotel I did request a twin room, but when I arrived I was given a double bed. As it was just my daughter and I knew she wouldn't be happy sharing a bed. I did ask the reception if a twin was available, but was told no with out them even checking. The room we were given was a decent size for a city room and the bed was a king size bed. So it sort of worked out ok.

I had heard a view stories about the hotel charging silly amounts for the mini bar and bath robes. We made sure we didn't touch any of those. We regularly got food and drinks from the 7/11 and massive pizza slices from across the road.

Overall not a bad hotel, but expensive for the service received. But couldn't fault the location and we didn't spend long in the hotel so wasn't really an issue.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

I loved everything from the welcome gift with the personalized card from the hotel manager, all the way to the bell hop who said goodbye as we hopped in the cab. I will definitely be back!

This was a refreshing experience, after the last few years of sub par service in hotels all across America.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Michael K
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Very nice hotel with very kind staff. Accomodation very OK, bathroom quite small (square meters are expensive). Very cheap happy hour (free apple-tea and a free degustation each day. Superb breakfast to American standards.Well situated between Central Park and Manhattan. And for my 80-year old mother a unique occasion to see her grandson again after more than 4 months having left Belgium for one year to head for California.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Patrick J
Reviewed 22 August 2014

By wife and I usually make a pilgrimage to NYC every year to take in a few Broadway shows and club acts. We love staying in this area -- just north of Madison Square Park and convenient to several subway lines. We've stayed at the Chandler Hotel (across the street from The Roger) and it is similar to The Roger.

Our experience this year at The Roger in late July was excellent. The staff is courteous, friendly and responsive. Our room was average in size for an NYC hotel although to experience a smaller bathroom you'd need to be staying in a commercial airliner! That was the tiniest sink I'd ever seen! ( about 8'' in diameter). However the bathroom was very well appointed with high quality towels, lotions/shampoos (Bigelow) and fixtures (very nice mirrors and lighting). I don't know if all The Roger's rooms have bathrooms this small (probably not) but the quality of the amenities offsets the size and I would stay in the same room again. The bed linens/mattress were also of a high grade and the room was very clean.

Once again, location is always a strong suite for us and this hotel is close to several good restaurants (Crooked Knife, Blue Smoke, Bagel and Schmear), subways and attractions. We love Broadway but we avoid the noise and crush of the Times Square/Broadway area by staying in this vicinity. We've stayed in the Chandler (similar), Giraffe (pricier on Park Ave) and Hilton Fashion District (similar) in this area.

We had a good deal thru a promotion on Jetsetter and I would definitely stay there again. Overall, good value (and location!).

By the way, on this trip we did take in the recently opened 911 Museum in lower Manhattan; it is a must-see.

Room Tip: Ask about the bathroom size!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Scott R
Reviewed 20 August 2014

It is a lovely boutique hotel in an excellent location, personally I love being near Chelsea and near Midtown without being inmersed in either area.
Also this is a residential area where real newyorkers live so the restaurants are for local crowds not just for tourists.
The staff is amazing and they have a lovely happy hour for guests between 5 and 6 pm.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed at the Roger June 2014 - my first stay, my husband stays here often when traveling to NYC for work. I thought the hotel was lovely - very clean, modern and fresh! The complimentary wine was a really nice treat! Rooms were quite spacious for NYC. Central location. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple