“Spacious Rooms, Courteous Staff”
Review of San Carlos Hotel

San Carlos Hotel
Ranked #46 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Placitas, New Mexico
“Spacious Rooms, Courteous Staff”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel was a little more expensive then i normally prefer, but it definitely provided more for the money! It was in a very nice part of Midtown (but can be a 20 minute walk to most theatres as it is on the West Side. The Staff were absolutely wonderful, and the continental breakfast was always stocked well with fruit, bread/bakery items, yogurt, cottage cheese, cereal and lots of other goodies.

Great place for a group get away...the suites are very spacious!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Boscan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Great hotel. Nice comfortable rooms and staff is very friendly and helpful. The gym is not very extensive, but has a few machine and treadmills. Since its on the east side it can be a 15-20 minute walk to some of the theatres, but overall a great location.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Terry M
Essex
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

This is a brilliant hotel the rooms are fantastic the staff are really helpfully . Great that you get a breakfast as you will need it to get you on your way to a day of walking and sight seeing I am coming back soon and will defiantly choose this hotel again . I love New York and will be back at the San Carlos very soon .

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

A great hotel in Midtown Manhatten. Its the little things that make it particularly attractive. The breakfast is great, choclates on your pillow at night, wi fi is free and the staff is always happy to assist with every request.
Will definitely return there on my next visit to NYC.

1 Thank Alongr
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Wonderful location, close to subway, St Patricks, shopping and good restaurants. Staff is very nice and alway helpful. Very clean, modern, good light. When traveling to NYC we love to stay at the San Carlos, always a good experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank teddyandrosie
NY
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed here with my family in December 2013 for a night. We usually stay across the street at The Benjamin, but wanted to try a different hotel in the same area. Upon check-in, we were brought to our One Bedroom Suite and found it had two double beds that could not be pushed together. My confirmation (booked 2 months earlier DIRECTLY at the hotel website) specified the room type as "One Bedroom Suite- Elite, One King or Queen Bed.) I called the front desk and asked to be changed into the correct room. However I was told that no suites with king beds were available and that the hotel does not guarantee bed size. This is contrary to the fact that they actually specify bed size in their room confirmation email. I went down to the front desk to ask for a manager and was referred to an "assistant manager" who told me the same thing. My response was that this was unacceptable to me and that I expected to be compensated, or moved to a different room. After disappearing for five minutes, the "assistant manager" came back and said very begrudgingly that he would put us in the penthouse suite for the night- but only since we were staying just that one night. He was not friendly or apologetic in the least. He sulked the entire time.

Also to note is that there is no valet parking. You must park in the garage next door and tell them you are parking for your stay at the San Carlos hotel, or you could be turned away since they fill up quickly. If you stay more than 24 hours, you'll pay for an extra day at the discounted hotel rate, regardless of how many hours you're over.

With the negative aspect of the trip out of the way, allow me to state the positive ones. The penthouse suite was beautiful! There are two of them on the top floor, and we had the smaller of the two. There was a dining room area, kitchenette, living room, and a separate bedroom. The other had a fireplace, but ours did not. Both rooms shared an outdoor terrace facing the Waldorf and the RCA building, with a table, chairs, etc. We were extremely lucky that it was an unusually warm day in December. So we got to enjoy this beautiful terrace in the midst of December in NYC! It made up for the original debacle with the reservation.

I'm giving the hotel three stars solely due to the customer service I received at the front desk. The room I ended up in was beautiful and I would highly recommend it. However, you should be careful when making reservations and not assume that you'll get what's actually stated in your email confirmation. The one other positive to note is that the bellman, Michael, was the nicest, most helpful person I met at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CrapsCPA
JanetM150, Director of Sales at San Carlos Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for selecting the San Carlos Hotel for your stay in NYC this past December, and for taking the time to write a comment. I am sorry to read that you were not entirely pleased with your stay. Our team goal is to make sure that each guest checks out with a positive experience. I understand your questioning the confirmation and the bed type received, and hope I can clarify this for you. Upon reserving a room or suite, we ask each guest to "request" the bed type they prefer so we can make every attempt to accommodate, however, it is noted on the website as well as the confirmation, that bedding is subject to availability. You requested a king or queen bedded suite which unfortunately was not available due to prior guests extending their stays, however, what you were given was a suite with "two queen beds" instead of one. All our suites are equipped with either one king, one queen or two queen size beds. We do not have any suites with double beds. However, I am delighted to know that our assistant manager was able to assist you and upgraded you to our Penthouse Suite which ultimately met your needs. I do apologize if you felt you were not treated kindly as that is quite the opposite of what we normally hear or read about our service agents. This will be reviewed with the appropriate manager.

We do not advertise valet parking, but we do have special arrangements with a nearby parking garage for substantially discounted rates for our guests. The rate is based on 24 hour intervals, with one time in/out privilege. Extended time can be paid on an hourly basis, however, this may result in the rate being higher than the full day negotiated rate we offer our guests.

Once again, it is our foremost desire to please our guests so if there is anything else I can assist you with, I hope you will not hesitate to contact me.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
Janet Materi
Director of Sales
Boca Raton, Florida, USA
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Good location, clean and modern rooms, free wifi that is dependable, free continental breakfast...what's not to like. It's not as glamorous as a few of the hotels next door, but if you are here on business, who cares about ball gowns in the lobby?

Room Tip: Corner suites are sunny