“not your typical Japanese food”
Review of Ocha

Ocha
Ranked #3,954 of 14,591 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Delivery
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

We decided to try this place as we were in the mood for Japanese food. We ordered 1 sushi roll called New York which was ok...nothing to write home about...a filet mignon which was (lol) no joke a thin slice of the toughest meat you can get! And we also ordered ton katsu which was prepared ok but if you're used to a more stronger red sauce (authentic) then this is totally opposite. Positive note...waitress was on it refilling water and clearing dishes. Would I go back if I visit NYC again...No, I'm sure there's better real Japanese food out there...

Reviewed 1 June 2013

This little restaurant is just what it is. There are plenty more expensive restaurants in the area that will serve your needs and expectations. We went into Ocha at 9:15 in the evening after the theater. We ordered sushi and a bento box. My wife's sushi was excellent and my bento box was just as expected -- with white sushi rice, two dumplings, tempura veggies and so on. The staff were attentive and kept the tea cup full. We got a dish of a different sauce for each item we ordered. The staff was courteous and Japanese. An altogether very good experience. We shall return

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Decently priced Japanese food that was quite enjoyable but the katsu chicken was very different to what I'm used to.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

I'm a New York City tour guide who spends a lot of time in the Times Square area. I am always on the lookout for lunches that are an alternative to the hot dog/pizza routine. This April I strolled down Restaurant Row (W 46th St between 8th Ave and 9th Ave). On the south side of the street in the middle of the block is Ocha. In the middle of a desert of $25 lunches is this oasis featuring the $9.00 Bento Box. First out on the table was a warm miso soup with tofu. I enjoyed a crisp romaine salad with a tangy carrot dressing. On the side there was some California roll seasoned with wasabi, ginger, and tamari sauce. A spring roll and shrimp teriyaki was accompanied with crisp broccoli, carmelized onions, and carrots. Delicious. Prompt, efficient, and professional service is the rule of the day. Lunch is served from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM seven days per week.

1  Thank JamesNYC212
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Really, you want to charge me for a little more ginger for my sushi? Even worse, my bento box came with white rice. Since I didn't get the rice, I asked for it. They told me I got the rice in my sushi. I thought they were kidding, but they weren't. You can't really get away with this in NYC unless you prey on the tourists (which we are not). We won't be going back. You can go wrong on restaurant row if you go here.

1  Thank ptdusky