“Delicious dessert for people with food allergies”

Erin McKenna’s Bakery
Ranked #65 of 401 Bakeries in New York City
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Good for: Romantic
Neighbourhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I'm allergic to eggs, so finding dessert in a restaurant or bakery is always challenging for me (even then, there's the worry of contamination: an improperly washed bowl or spoon could lead to a hospital visit, so it's usually not worth the effort)...At Babycakes, there's no such worry.
The shop is small and filled with cute things; the staff are friendly; the baked goods are safe: vegan and gluten free, so my friends and I can all get something delicious without having to worry!

I've visited Babycakes on an almost weekly basis since moving to Manhattan, and my favorite treats so far have been the Banana Maple cupcake (I've had these when they're a day old as a 2-for-1 special, and they're maybe even better the 2nd day), the Brownie Cupcake with mint frosting, and the Black Forest cupcake. The Coconut Mounds are also absolutely delightful.

Conclusion: Babycakes may be the happiest place on earth.

2  Thank Danielle A

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have the cookbooks (I have done little GF baking yet) and have been dying to go here for over a year. It was totally worth the wait!!! We picked up: a strawberry cupcake, brownie cupcake with mint frosting, a couple of donuts, and brownies. It took us several days to try (some of it is in the freezer, I bought extras of the brownies) but everything was beyond amazing. I have not had a cupcake or a donut since I went gluten free and this totally made up for it. I think the brownie cupcake is the best cupcake I have ever eaten (GF or not!). I am looking forward to going to my next trip to NYC for more tasty treats.

The shop is small but extremely cute. There is limited seating out front. The staff is very friendly and they will tell you what you need to refridgerate immediately.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

This little gem is tucked away in a little quiet corner. I walked what seemed forever from Soho to get to it but it was well worth it. They have an amazing selection of different desserts. We ordered the churro, a brownie, a cupcake and salted caramel donut. Everything was amazing. The cupcake was a little too dense for my liking but that's just personal taste. Personally I thought the donut was the best. This is my new must stop in NYC.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Everything!! My favorite part was the fact that my son forgot his portion in the hotel fridge, so I was able to bring it back to VT and enjoy it, along with mine! I had almond, his was rocky road... yum!!

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Fabulous for people with food allergies and gluten issues. The chocolate cupcakes are unbelievable even if you have no food issues.