“Has Gone Downhill”

Neighbourhood: Financial District
Rahway, New Jersey
“Has Gone Downhill”
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I've been to the Waterstone a few times, as I work in this neighborhood. My BF and I went for dinner 2 nights ago and were disappointed with food and service. We both ordered the mussels frites. Mine, was clearly burnt. I'm sure you're wondering how one burns mussels but they managed. The sauce it was in - basically just a wine, shallot and arugula combination was brown and off-tasting. When I called the waitress over to call this to her attention, her first reaction to me was "well, this is how we make it here". I think not. I told her that I know how to cook, have had this dish before and it obviously was not made correctly. She stood there and a huff and proceeded to argue the point with me and asked me what she should do about it. I asked her what would come out of the kitchen quickest, she said "everything" (not a good sign) and I finally told her just please re-make the dish properly.

They brought me another one which was perfect, only showing how poorly done the first was and how wrong she was in trying to tell me it was right. BTW, my boyfriend's similar dish didn't have an ounce of broth in it at all but he didn't want to create anymore of a fuss.

We ate quickly and got out of there without even wanting dessert or coffee. Went down the block to Financier instead for take-out tarts and cake.

We won't be back.

• Visited March 2011

nyc
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really really good seafood”
Reviewed 10 March 2009

I love this place, great fish selection in an area of the city (financial district) with not so many quality interesting seafood joints. Menu changes a few times a year so I'm not bored easily. Cool bar. Really great street cafe in the summer. Love hanging out on Stone St with friends after work. Try the sangria.

1 Thank worldtourNyc