“A really good find on the NYC dining scene”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Gaetana's

Gaetana's
Ranked #2,901 of 13,554 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: West Village
Charleston, South Carolina
“A really good find on the NYC dining scene”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Gaetana's is tucked away in West Village, a few blocks from the Hudson River, steps from the Christopher St. PATH stop and a few blocks from the Christopher St./Sheridan Square 1-train stop. It truly is a hidden gem in a massive and sometimes confusing NYC dining scene.

Have been here twice now and boy does this place serves up some very tasty food. Tried both the Rigatoni Arrabiata, which had the perfect amount of spiciness to it, and the Linguine in White Clam Sauce, which was equally spectacular.

Highly recommend stopping by Gaetana's if you are looking for an excellent Italian meal in a cozy atmosphere, especially in the summer when they can open the doors up to the outside.Typically crowded on weekend nights so best make a reservation.

Only reason I gave this place 4 out of 5 stars is because during my most recent visit we had a waiter who acted pretty disinterested, which was rather surprising given the fact that on my other visit our waitress was outstanding and incredibly personable.

• Visited July 2014

Winter Garden, Florida
“Great date night or family dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

2nd visit and still awesome. Owner Frank and his sister know everyone are are extremely attentive to every guest. Good was amazing. And don't even mention the homemade limoncello!!! Our new home away from home in NYC!!

Paramus, New Jersey
“Pleasantly Surprised!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife and sat at the bar to have a beer. It is an old-fashioned bar with a very warm atmosphere and the people are super friendly. The service is great too. We decided to order dinner. My wife ordered linguini with clam sauce which she said was the best she'd had in a long time. I had the homemade lasagne bolognese. I was raised in an italian family with home cooking so I don't do that often, but I had a good feeling about it. It was amazing, truly tasting like a home made meal. I couldn't belive it was "restaurant" food. The portions were huge, too. Definitely planning to go back there.

• Visited May 2014
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Good family place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Had dinner here with kids. Food was good. Full service bar. Definitely s great family restaurant.There were 7 of us and they were kind enough to bring the youngest child her food when it was ready so so did not have to wait for the adults.

• Visited December 2013
New York City, New York
“Horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

OK, here goes.

We passed this place several times coming home from Rock Bar. We went there this evening for dinner.

WHAT A MISTAKE!

Now, I have given about 32 one star ratings out of 175+ reviews, this is my first no star rating, but Yelp! won't let you do that. I read the reviews here which made me decide to try it. It seemed that there were a lot of 5 star reviews so I felt reasonably safe.

We ordered the seafood salad which is an Italian staple I have eaten for 60 years, since my childhood in Brooklyn. This was a Small portion for $10.95, but, what the hell, seafood ain't cheap.

I had a 16 ounce Italian beer for $10.95...not cheap. My partner had a $6.50 glass of Italian white wine that was OK.

We then ordered entrées. Me, the chicken parmigiana and my dinner partner, the grilled calamari. The waiter asked if I wanted pasta with the chicken, I said OK because just about every place I ate the stuff they served it with pasta. My partner asked what came with the calamari, the answer NOTHING. If fact NOTHING comes with ANYTHING. What a surprise when we actually counted 10 pieces of penne plopped on the plate with my chicken parm. I'm not kidding, we counted them...10. The calamari was about a 2 ounce overly salted portion and as mentioned, came with NOTHING.

Now, about the chicken. I noticed there was no flavor to it and the texture was a sort of chewable vinyl. I then realized it was one of those processed chicken cutlets that are created by pureeing chicken and then binding it with vegetable gums and molding it into the shape of a chicken cutlet.

Then the surprise of the evening, those 10 pieces of penne cost $3.95, that's 39 cents each!!!! and the waiter never said that NOTHING came with the chicken parm.

I was surprised that they didn't charge for the rather ordinary foccacia bread.

Now, I was born and raised in a very Italian neighborhood in Brooklyn with places like Bamontes. I know Italian food and I cook some of the best Italian food.

Since a lot of the yelpers here gave this place 5 stars, I wonder if their pizza choice is Pizza Hut. Let me tell you, if you want some good Italian food, send me a message and I'll tell you about some places that will feed you better for less than this dump.

Do not, repeat, do not let those reasonable looking entree prices fool you, this place is 30% over say, La Carbonara on 14th street.

Ten pieces of penne for $3.95 to accompany a rubber chicken parm, bringing the price to $18.90. Gaetano, kiss my grits.

Bring back that raunchy gay bar.

• Visited November 2012