Lowest prices for your stay
£335
dodd198
Torquay, United Kingdom

Excellent Hotel

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 7 May 2019via mobile
The 4 of us really enjoyed our stay here. Super location in a quieter part of Times Square. The hotel is furnished to a high standard, the reception is quite impressive. The rooms are comfortable and well sound proofed. The breakfast restaurant was busy, but that could not be helped as everyone is trying to start off early for their day of sightseeing. Lovely buffet breakfast, something there for everyone. It didn't bother us if eggs were not perfect, who cares in such a great destination. The staff are friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay there again.
Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1.1 miles from Hotel Riu Plaza New York Times Square
Pool
Paramount Hotel New York Time Lobby Fireplace
0.1 miles from Hotel Riu Plaza New York Times Square
Fitness centre
Arlo SoHo Lobby and public space.
2.7 miles from Hotel Riu Plaza New York Times Square
View more hotels in New York City
6,703 results
All reviews new york times square frosted glass great location every other day breakfast was included restaurant row buffet style family room modern hotel grab and go central location city break stayed here for nights sofa bed mini fridge would definitely stay here again
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 May 2019 via mobile

Just forget it. Mass tourism, small rooms, unfriendly staff, horrible canteen for breakfast etc.
At breakfast you are allocated a table, if you are lucky it’s clean and you are not bothering others to sit down. Then you need to stand up and get everything yourself, not only the food but plates, cutlery, cups, etc. The only thing the staff puts on the table for you are paper mats. Then it is very noisy, it is a mass event.
The food is really bad. For example they fry dozens of eggs, put them all together in a large heat plate. Then you must try to get one out without smashing many other fried eggs...
Really incredible, I’ve not seen something like that before.
We had a family room, which under normal circumstances I would consider ok for 2 people, albeit narrow.
They cram 4 people in there, and there is not enough space for luggage and cupboards. I don’t know where they got the 4 stars from, but I checked a couple of other hotels nearby with less stars, they are really much better and more stylish. This is a hotel I surely will never go back to.
As stated in the heading, the location is good. That’s it.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank C4862LXkatherinem
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Plaza New York Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2019

Dear C4862LXkatherinem,

We are sorry that in general your experience with us was not what you expected and that you left our hotel with a totally opposite impression to that which we always try to convey. In RIU we are committed to provide excellent quality products and services to our guests, so we appreciate your comments as they help us improve our services. For this reason, we will share your impressions with the Management team to take actions if needed.

We hope to host you again in one of our worldwide hotels!

Greetings,

Hotel Riu Plaza New York Times Square
Online Reputatiopn Manager

Reviewed 6 May 2019

Staying at this Hotel in Newyork brings you NO HEARDACKES at all.
From the location to the service everything is Magical. A plus is the breakfast in "riu Style". The room is immaculate and perfect with great views. Jesus, reservations Manager was a treat! Please if you are reading this review do no waste your time and stay at thos Hotel. I have lived in New York for 3 years visiting over 20 Hotels and the price x service x satisfaction from this one is just simply 100%.
Tahnk you.

Room tip: Upagrade for Bussiness Level high floors.
2  Thank youniquetravelling
Reviewed 5 May 2019

Very nice hotel, great breakfast buffet. Very close to amenities and the subway. Staff at check in was a little rude about my Canadian driver's lisence when I presented it for ID saying it was worthless in this country as ID

Review collected in partnership with riu.com
3  Thank Melissa T
Reviewed 5 May 2019

Hotel Riu Plaza is a perfect place to stay when visiting Times Square. It is conveniently located in the theater district.The hotel is clean, beautiful and inviting. All of the staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is delicious and plentiful. The dinner buffet looks great although we ere not able to try it.

Review collected in partnership with riu.com
3  Thank mikey8642
Reviewed 4 May 2019

If you're use to a Riu hotel in the Caribbean or other vacation country. This is not it. I'm not sure who is rating this hotel in a positive way. Have they not stayed in nice hotels ?

I wanted to qualify this review.

I have an issue with the hotel itself. I have made a complaint with Riu about them charging me a premium rate of about $150 per night over the regular rate for a standard room. Head office referred me to the hotel. Just be very careful if you ever book a room.

When checking out, I did watch a European couple get their reservation denied because the hotel had lost it. Some people have all the luck.

The front desk staff. When I checked in with my kid they photocopied his passport. and mine. I don't even think that's legal. Also watched as one of them walked passed us sneakily taking a picture using his cell phone. Unbelievable. In spanish, Familia ??? Si Si .

I immediately felt horrified in a gut wrenching kinda way. How could I have chosen such a horrible hotel. Do they normally charge by the hour ??? Who exactly are their regular clientele ???? I'm assuming "working" girls or worse. I felt sick. It's absolutely disgusting but all the other hotels were booked.

Enough of that.

The hotel itself, Aesthetically it's beautiful on the outside. It ends there.

Things of note:

1: The rooms themselves require a key card to keep the power on. A quaint reminder of vacations to third world countries.

2: The floors in the rooms are ultra low cost floating plastic faux bleached wood. The kind that get spaces between them that you can close by slamming your shoe against them to snap them back together.

3: No pool

4: You will love their breakfast. Not as high class as Ikea but close. At Ikea the staff smile and you can have individual tables. Very Stalin esqe in a CCCP group camp kinda way.

5: Location. I stayed with my kid. Which was really awkward when we walked out for a day in time square past the strip club next door.

The hallways are about as wide as you would expect on a low budget cruise ship.

Other than that. Its a hotel. So if all your looking for is a cot and a pillow, your good to go. Oh they do have a nice view.

Alternatives. We ended up staying at the Hilton Time Square for the remainder of that trip. Another time my wife and I stayed at the Marriott Marquis. Both much better value.

Room tip: Really. Your in New York. Pick a nice hotel.
Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank Rob K

Dear Robert,

Thank you for being a loyal guest of RIU Hotels & Resorts and for sharing your experience with us and our TripAdvisor community.

First of all, would like to inform that there is no comparison between our All Inclusive Beach Hotels in the Caribbean and our Plaza line which represent our city hotel portfolio with the focus on city and business trips.

Furthermore, we are also very surprised to read your comment in regards to the key card when this is actually the worldwide standard in hotels designed to switch off the electricity supply when rooms are not occupied and to increase the energy-efficiency in times our planet is suffering global warming more than ever.

It is also true, that same as the two other hotels you mentioned, we do not offer a pool area in Times Square area and that the scanning of the passport or ID Card is a required part of the check-in procedure of the hosted clients.

We want all of our visitors to have an unforgettable time here at Hotel Riu Plaza New York Times Square, and as you can imagine, it makes us sad to read that your experience with us was anything less than ideal. Please note that the Deluxe Family Room you requested is a higher category as you were informed at our front desk when you walked in. Please be assured that we daily strive to provide our guests, so we regret the inconvenience and certainly, we will send your comments to management in case our standards have not been fulfilled at some point.

We do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to one of our worldwide available hotels.

With our best wishes we remain,

Hotel Riu Plaza New York Times Square