“Cool, but need to address maintenance issues”

Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo
Ranked #295 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Bogotá
“Cool, but need to address maintenance issues”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Outside this is a nerdy an unattractive building, the common areas inside though are fresh and cool. The kitchen concept is great, breakfast was more than I was expecting and the idea of sitting around what resembled a large marble farmhouse table with "friends you haven't met yet" was super.

The rooms bore none of the clean lines of the common areas. They are dated with curiously unfashionable furniture. I don't mind a bit of wear and tear in the carpets, I don't expect a new carpet every time I visit a hotel, but I do expect the heating to work in NYC in February. The rooms have notices on the heaters advising that the room temperature is controlled from the wall thermostats, but they are not. The wall thermostats do nothing and the heating is controlled by the panel on the apparent Soviet era gas fired room-warming engines below the window.

I called down to front desk when I arrived to tell them I could not get the heating to work. An engineer came and my room slowly rose through the Farenheits. Come midnight though it had failed again and the room had dropped to 50ºF. I called back to the front desk, was offered another engineer but pushed for a room change.

There are enough comments in this property's Trip Advisor page about the heating, so why doesn't the hotel fix it? I am sure the rooms will get an overhaul in due course but surely in a city where the temperatures we way below freezing recently, this is a priority.

Onwards and upwards, the hotel location was less than obvious but great, an easy walk down to the Financial District and some very cute bars in the area on Broome Street. Nights were quiet and I would definitely stay here again, just maybe in a more temperature season, that or push for a room with working heating when I check in.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
KleinV54, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear JohnnyBogota,

Thank you for your detailed review about your recent stay at our hotel. I totally agree with you, the heating system issue in your room should of been prevented to begin with. Our apologies that we failed you in that area. Please be assured that your feedback will not go unnoticed as we aim to prosper out of any issues. I would indeed wish to host your stay again and make it a lot less troublesome as I would love great feedback from you from your next stay. Please inform me the next time your in town as I will personally ensure I turn things around for you. Thank you for taking time out in sharing your experience, hoping to see you again soon.

Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Toronto
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Really nice hotel for a great price - nice rooms, helpful staff, free internet, free breakfast, great location, and front desk cookies! Would definitely stay here again - it is miles above the other NYC hotels I have seen at this price.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank ariatc
Dear ariatc,

We truly value your feedback as it motivates our team more and more to hear such great things from our satisfied guests. We are happy to know you found quality and value in your stay and hope to be seeing you continually at our property. Thank you for being our guest.

Bermuda
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Hotel is in a good location. However I found it very tiny overall, with the rooms being much smaller than any hampton hotel I've ever stayed at (and I've stayed in at least 10 different hampton hotels). The bed which is nice unfortunately takes up all the space in the room :( Felt a bit claustrophobic.

Dear metraa,

Thank you for staying with us recently. We are glad to hear back from you and are happy to know you enjoyed your stay. Our apologies that you found the room you were in not as spacious as previous Hampton's. As NYC grows and grows, space is at a premium but I can assure you I have other options to show you on your next return. We are glad to know you found the Hampton Inn bed comfortable, surely the same brand across the board. Hopefully we can make things better for you the next time around! Thank you for your feedback

Chatham, New York
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This hotel exceeded my expectations. The staff was very friendly and our room was very nicely setup. We opted to go for the room with a view and on a higher up floor. We were glad we did as our room also ended up being larger than the basic room. The location was perfect for getting to several different area. We were within walking distance of the subway and also to our dinner reservations. I would definitely recommend this to anyone traveling in this area.

Room Tip: Pay the little bit extra and get the room on a higher up floor with the view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank les91178
Dear les91178,

Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn Soho during your recent weekend stay. Meeting expectations and exceeding them is our motto and we hope continue to do that with the guests you'd recommend as well. We are glad to hear your stay went well all around. Come again soon!

Philadelphia
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Large group staying at hotel and staff consistently met and exceeded expectation. Typical Hampton bfast. The block isn't beautiful but great location as jumping off point. Short walk to subway. They have a bar too, rare for Hampton Inn! Would go back in seconds.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank annaweezie
KleinV54, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear annaweezie,

I recall hosting the stay of your group a few days back and I am delighted to hear back from you. I noticed how each and everyone of you seemed to be having a pleasant time all around and it certainly made our team proud. Tell the birthday boy our team says hello and that we appreciate you all coming to town. Hopefully we get to host the stay of your group again the next time around.

Miami, United States
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This Hampton Inn was convenient to all the places I needed to be and was consistent with the good value provided by Hampton Inn. The breakfast could use some improvement. The room was clean and comfortable and of course, had room to work.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Alex R
Dear Alex R,

Thank you sharing your review about our hotel. Value for your stay is certainly important when determining how great a hotel can deliver and I am glad we were able to do so with you. With that said, please be aware that our guest feedback is of the utmost importance to our improvement in the services and amenities we provide and that your opinion will not go unnoticed. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

And this location is spectacular. Walking distance to everything and the usual stellar Hampton staff. They are serious about customer service. Comfy beds and linens, bathtub was a nice surprise, included breakfast is so plentiful, free wifi is fast and dependable. And the coffee/tea available around the clock is so comforting, after a long day out in a NY winter. Staff has great local restaurant suggestions of all kinds. Just recommended it to a friend coming to NY with her kids for the first time, too. Oh, and it's completely reasonably priced.
Yes, it's in a busy area and yes, it can be noisy. It's NYC, people. That's why we come here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pinkymay
Dear pinkymay,

Thank you for the phenomenal review about your recent stay at our hotel. We understand how important hotel amenities are as they can make your stay much enjoyable and I am glad you were able to enjoy those added bonuses. All in all looks like the best value for your stay and I welcome you back anytime!