“NOPE!!!”

Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo
Ranked #304 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is going to be a laundry list of wrongs. Sorry. First let me say that the staff are lovely. However, staying here is about like staying in a college dorm or a hostel. Dirty lobby upon arrival, clean in the morning. The whole hotel has a funky smell in halls and common areas. Rooms smell fine. Check in is at 4 and they really mean it. Nothing is ready before that. One elevator for a 19 story hotel (one was out of order) so expect to wait a minimum of ten minutes. The stairwells are locked to the inside so I don't know if going up by stairs is an option. Nicest staff but they seem totally overworked. Two calls from the front desk, back to back by different people, to see if my room was OK. The air conditioning unit said "controlled by wall thermostat" but the thermostat didn't work. Had to call for help at midnight and the very nice building tech said that my unit actually wasn't controlled by the wall thermostat... Oy vey. Then the noise the darned thing made was crazy loud and woke me up all night. I had asked for a second washcloth early in the evening and never got it until I had to call about the air conditioning and mentioned the wash cloth, so the tech brought it with him.

Single king rooms are tiny, even by NY standards. I was alone but with another person I don't know where we would have kept our stuff off the floor. No dresser to put things on and no shelf in the bathroom, so you have to put your toiletries in the sink if you are doing something like drying hair or putting on make up. The sink rim is just a little too tiny. The location of the hotel is OK and, as mentioned, staff is very kind and polite. Very close to Little Italy and Soho shops. The proximity to the tunnel makes for really bad traffic in the area, particularly on weekends, so it may be better to take the subway than a cab if you don't have much luggage. I'm not a breakfast eater but the included breakfast looked OK. Highlight was the staff. Wouldn't stay again but it could have been worse.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MsMacSF
arthurcheung, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear MsMacSF:

Arthur Cheung

Write a ReviewReviews (1,738)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel is well situated being convenient to two different subway stops on Canal Street and is a short walk to many restaurants on West Broadway, Little Italy and Chinatown. The room was fairly large, the king size bed very comfortable, and the bath was very classy and functional. There's a breakfast every morning which includes a large number of options from bagels, dried cereal, oatmeal, waffles, eggs, fruit, etc. We stayed seven nights and found it to be a good value and location. The elevators were a tad funky, but the customers were all very good natured about it.

Room Tip: We were located on the Watts Street side which was a tad loud as this is a major route to the Hollan...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear DakotaSummer:

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I travel to NYC yearly and always stay at Hampton Inns. I've stayed in many in this City. This location in SOHO is by far my absolute favorite. You cannot ask for a better location. Easy access to Tribeca, SOHO, Chinatown, Little Italy and Nolita. Great Deli on Thompson Street for all your needs, Subway two blocks away. Love love love this location.

The rooms are always accommodating, not too small. Bathrooms lack counter space, but there is plenty in the room itself. We do not partake in the free breakfast, although the breakfast room is large and inviting and it is clean and efficient.

I would highly recommend this room to anyone traveling to NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the street. Watts Street is the main on ramp to the Holland Tunnel. Loads of tr...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear LauraAloha:

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My teenager daughter and I spent four nights for vacation. The only positive thing about the hotel was the location. Wifi was extremely slow, the room was noisy (loud and dusty AC), and the room not as clean as the typical Hampton Inn standard. Also, when I checked in, the rate for two of the nights were $100 per night more than when I reserved the room. A front desk personnel did fix the difference, but had I not noticed it I would have been charged $200 more. Parking was $30 per day, self-parking, few blocks from the property - I suppose that is a fair price for a hotel in Manhattan. I would not go back to this hitel again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
arthurcheung, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Spsuz,

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed here for 3 days on business because of the location, upon arriving I noticed the floor (already pretty small floorspace) was soaking wet. The AC had been leaking before I arrived and the carpet covering half of the room was completely soaked and getting moldy. I wasn't able to move until the last night of my stay, the staff was very accommodating once they did change my room but the first couple of nights were pretty bad.

Room Tip: Wifi is painfully slow and my iron was broken
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
arthurcheung, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Jon Q:

Thank you for staying at the Hampton Inn Manhattan SoHo. I would like to apologize for your first two nights during stay. The issue with the air conditioner has been resolved and we are in the process of upgrading our bandwith. Thank you for your comments and I hope you will allow us the opportunity to service you in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was a great trip! The Front Office Supervisor (don't remember his name, sorry!!) was AMAZING. No exaggeration! We arrived well before check-in because we wanted to explore the city as much as we could. He helped us check our bags so we didn't have to carry them all around the City. Then, we were able to check-in around 2:00 pm. Great efficiency by the staff. The room was great. The bathroom was BEAUTIFUL (room 908). The roof top terrace is very nice. Then at check-out, we did not fly out until 7:00 pm. The FOS allowed us to check our bags again so we could do some more exploring. Over all a great trip for my husband and I.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
arthurcheung, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Sabrina G:

Thank you for staying with us at the Hampton Inn Manhattan SoHo. I am gald to see that you had a pleasant experience at the hotel. Thank you for sharing your positive feedback for others to see what a wonderful hotel we are. We hope to service you in the future. Thank you again!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Hotel is in a great location. Rooms are small but most rooms are these days. Looked to me like the sitting chair had not been vacuumed in a while - other than that the room was clean. Breakfast, part of the deal here is OK - nothing special - fruit, eggs and good breads etc.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business