“A great hotel for a trip to NYC”

Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo
Ranked #293 of 467 Hotels in New York City
uk
“A great hotel for a trip to NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2009

We booked into Hampton Inn Soho for 14 nights and loved our stay. We booked directly with the hotel and requested a city view. When we got into our room, we were facing Watts St. I queried this with reception and was told that all upper floors were classed as 'city view' regardless of which direction they were facing! We asked if we could be moved but were told it was not possible. We are quite disappointed to read in other reviews that travellers who booked through discount websites actually got the view that we thought we had booked! As we had made a lengthy booking, it would have been nice for the hotel to recognise our request.
However, this did not affect our overall opinion of the hotel. The staff were all very helpful and friendly and made us feel very welcome with our five year old. The staff were so lovely to our daughter and made a huge fuss of her everytime they saw her. Unlike some other reviews, our room was very quiet, we were opposite the lift and thought this might have been an issue but it was fine. Although there were some large european groups including parties of students staying there, we were fortunate enough not to have them on our floor judging by the nosie levels at breakfast! The room was large enough for the three of us but other rooms looked much smaller on the floor plans. The room was cleaned daily and was always spotless.
The business centre comprised of 2 computers - it was quite challenging to get access to them as they were always being used by others - usually to look at Facebook! When large groups were in, we gave up trying to access them as there was a permenant queue. I would recommend you taking a laptop or notebook if you require regular access to avoid frustration and disappointment as you have wired access in each room.
The reception staff were very helpful when the computers were occupied and would look up information and print it out for us.
The location is superb; away from the hustle and noise of midtown but the subway is so convinient to get you uptown. Both subways are less than 5 minutes walk away even in the August heatwave. There are loads of restaurants just north of spring street and the hotel will provide a range of take out menus if you fancy a quiet night. Suzies Chinese on Bleecker St was great and they delivered to the room!
The free breakfast is a huge bonus and the range was fine for us. Over the 2 weeks we didn't get bored of the choice.
We would definately stay at this hotel again as the location is superb and the staff are so helpful and friendly. We hope the rates stay favourable on this hotel as it compares well to other hotels in Manhattan.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2009

We stayed here at the beginning and end of our trip to New York for a total of 6 nights. We had been allocated this hotel initially through Priceline and liked the look of it so we stayed for the end of our trip also. The rooms were more than adequate with quite new bedding, choice of soft and hard pillows, flat screen TV's and recently renovated bathrooms with fantastic water pressure.
A very good breakfast with the usual pastries, bagels etc and a different hot item each day in a comfortable sitting room with an outside garden terrace. The hotel even offered us breakfast when we arrived at 8:30am to drop our bags off before checking in later in the day.
Almost every day when we returned we were offered a small treat (cookies, cup-cakes, freshly squeezed lemonade etc) at the front desk and a warm welcome from all the staff. These little touches make a real difference. The hotel was close to the subway (A,C,E lines at Canal Street) and there was a delicious little family-run mexican restaurant just across the road. Our only gripe is that with 19 floors and just 2 elevators it could at times take a long time for the elevator, we just walked down the stairs after a while as we were on the 8th and 9th floor.
This hotel more than surpassed our expectations for a great price and we would definitely stay here again on future visits to New York.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2009

I booked this hotel through priceline and I was pleasantly surprised to find this hotel tucked away at the border of SoHo and TriBeCa. The staff are very friendly and willing to make your stay more comfortable. We arrived very early in the morning and asked if we could store our luggage, not a problem! Checking in is easy. The rooms are comfortable and contemporary. The bathroom was nice, great shower and everything you expect from a hotel room. Great view of The Empire State Building, Chrysler Building from the hotel room. Try and get hotel rooms form floors 9 upwards. Quiet area that have some nice restaurants and bars nearby, stay open quite late too. Lupes was a nice little mexican restaurant... Subway is plentiful! A,C,E, 1, are the closest to 6th at Watts or Varick St at Watts. Cab from Port Authority was around $10 (can be different depending on traffic). SoHo is an eclectic mix of folk and shops. On West Broadway you'll find a lot of bars and restaurants to choose from. Washington Square Park is about a 10 minute walk north, China town is minutes away. Holland Tunnel for ease of access to NJ, Turnpike etc... Breakfast is nice, bagels, toast and cereal etc... enough to fill your gut until lunch. We stayed here twice and I was be very happy to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2009

The Hampton Inn is nicely situated on the edge of Soho - within pleasant walking distance to NYU/Washington Square Park, the West Village and the LES. Close to many subways and also the Holland Tunnel (offering quick, easy cab/car access to New Jersey), it's certainly in a decent location. I've read other reviews saying that cab drivers couldn't find the hotel; I did not have that problem and each cabbie I had was able to drop me off outside the doors, no problem.

The room I had was on an upper floor as requested, clean, well presented, with a comfortable bed, blackout blinds and air-conditioning: no complaints there. However, my neighbours were simply awful: two groups of people opposite decided to party in the hallway all night, keeping me awake (even with earplugs in).

Because I had an early meeting, I resented the fact that at 2AM I was being disturbed by their music and conversations in the hallway and I contacted reception to request they ask the noisemakers to quieten down. Despite two phonecalls to reception, it did not solve the problem, and I spent the night awake whilst those opposite me partied. I'm guessing - and forgive my snobbishness here - that because this is a cheap hotel, it attracts a certain clientele: one that's in town to party. Because of that, I wouldn't use this hotel again - and certainly not for a business stay.

The next morning I made a complaint to the reception and was told that there was nothing they could do: no apology, no offer of a part-refund, not even an offer to add some points to my Hilton account for the discomfort I had experienced. As a business user, this is not good service, and certainly not the sort of response I had been hoping for. Suffice it to say I shan't be making another reservation here, which is a shame: it's a nice hotel, otherwise.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank Britgoddess
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

I stayed at this Hampton Inn on July 25, 2009, for a night. Let me say that this is an excellent choice for sleeping over in New York. The hotel is rather far from Times Square and Midtown, however the A,C,and E Canal Street Subway station is just one block away, as well as the #1 Line's Canal Street Station. These lines provide easy and quick access to all there is to see and do at Times Square and Midtown. The trendy neighborhood of Tribeca is just 2 blocks south, and SoHo offers restaurants, artist galleries, and quirky little shops. The hotel is located on Watts St., which is the main feeder road into the Holland Tunnel; there is often a lot of traffic.

The rooms are rather small, but very comfortable. We were given two separate king bed rooms for the price of a room with 2 beds. It might have been because we are Hilton HHonors members, but either way I appreciated the extra step in service!! Each floor (there are 19 of them) has only 10 rooms, and there is a deck on the 19th Floor open to all guests. One of our rooms had a great view of midtown, as well as the Empire State Building (we were on the 14th Floor, and the hotel is one of the tallest buildings in SoHo). The staff is always ready to assist you in any way, and they will even store your luggage on your day of departure until it is time to leave. It made me feel good, knowing I did not have to lug my luggage all over New York while sightseeing! Breakfast was pretty good, although I did not care for the eggs that much.

Whenever you travel, I strongly recommend booking a Hilton Family Hotel, which includes Hampton Inns. They are all very consistent with regards to service, cleanliness, and room amenities. You may have to pay a higher rate than Days Inns, Red Roof Inns, or Choice Hotels, but it is truly worth it.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

My sister and I enjoyed our stay at the hotel very much. Check in is 3PM however our flight flew in at 7AM and by the time we got to the hotel from the subway it was only 930AM. Tiana was working at the front desk and was VERY helpful. She said unfortunately there were no rooms available at the time but she would take our bags from us while we went and grabbed breakfast. When we arrived from breakfast at around 1130AM the room was still not ready so we jumped on the hotel laptops with free internet and hung out in the lobby for an hour. Tiana could see that we were tired from our flight so she worked very hard at getting our room ready. We had requested a room with two beds but they were unable to offer it to us. Seeing that we were disappointed Tiana called her manager right away and got us each our own king room free of charge. When we got to our rooms they were spotless and very modern. Just as I started my quick nap there was a knock on the door when I didn't answer they door opened and the staff realized that someone was in the room they closed the door and left. 10 Minutes later it happened again, I got up and answered it and it was a staff member giving me a letter of appreciation and some Oreos for a snack. I thanked her and went back and shortly after maintenance was at my door, at this point i was tired of trying to sleep and just ended up going out. Regardless of the knocks on my door the stay was great. The room was clean minus a blood spot on one of the pillows that i had taken care of. The rooms are not as small as some are claiming, they are the perfect size from 1 or 2 people. The bathroom is spacious. Each room has free hi speed internet and flat screen TVs. It was a 20 minute (MAX) walk from the subways. The desk staff were helpful with directions and telling me and my sister the best places for us to visit. I would stay at the hotel again in an instant.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Milton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

Pros:
Location, location, location.
Multiple subway lines within a 5-min. walk. SoHo shopping during the day, lots of neat little neighbourhood restaurants just to the north of Spring St. that come alive in the evening.

Outstanding Staff.
Everyone extremely helpful and welcoming.

Free breakfast and internet.
Those costs sure add up at other hotels.

Clean and pleasantly decorated and reasonably priced.
Really good value for the money.

Cons:
This is the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. There were two of us and if we wanted to get around the bed at the same time, one of us had to climb over it.

We could hear everything. Noise from the hallways, elevator dings, slamming doors and conversations in the next room. The noise really travelled here.

The pros heavily outweighed the cons and I would not hesitate to stay here again. It really outranked the 4.5* we had stayed at 2 days prior in every way except for space.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple