“Fabulous Hotel & the Best Value for Money!”

Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo
Ranked #296 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Lagos, Nigeria
“Fabulous Hotel & the Best Value for Money!”
Reviewed 16 July 2010

What can I say about the Hampton Inn that hasn't already been said? I travelled with my sister and we spent a lot of time online researching hotels for our New York trip. For the most part, the hotels we found were expensive with tiny rooms. The reviews were not always complimentary either, so when we found the Hampton Inn, it seemed to have all that we were looking for - cleanliness, good location and average-sized rooms.

First off, after a long trip from Lagos, we were welcomed by the extremely friendly staff. Our room was a decent size. Not huge, but spacious compared to other rooms that we saw online. The beds were huge and luxurious. The rooms were cleaned everyday and the bathroom was spotless (something I'm very particular about).

The breakfast was complimentary and huge. I unashamedly filled up in the mornings (well, I was on holiday) and rarely needed to eat until the late afternoon.

There was free internet in the rooms. The only slight downside was that it was an Ethernet cable so only 1 computer could be online at a time. However, there are 2 online computers in the lobby and wireless internet on the entire ground floor.

The location was a dream come true! Not being familiar with New York, I really didn't have a clue about where was a good area to stay. All I knew was that everywhere was pretty much accessible by subway and that Soho was a supposedly trendy area. I had some concerns because one of the previous reviewers had mentioned that there was a tunnel or highway next to the hotel. Watts Street, which Hampton Inn is on, leads to the Holland Tunnel. This means that at rush hour there is an incredible line of cars inching forward into the tunnel. However, this does not affect pedestrians in anyway. There was no significant noise that disturbed my sleep.

A few streets away from the hotel was a shopping paradise, so if you're trying to save the pennies by not shopping, then don't stay here unless you have a will of steel. The neighbourhood is very vibrant with shops, art galleries and restaurants. It's walking distance from the Village, which is a very cool place to walk through. There are also a number of subway lines close by, so venturing beyond the immediate vicinity was not a problem.

The bill given to us on the last day of our trip was higher than the amount we had reserved the room for online by several hundred. I told the front desk staff and she apologised and promptly printed out a new bill.

All in all, the Hampton Inn Manhattan-Soho was an EXTREMELY great find. It was excellent value for money: affordable; clean; super customer service; yummy breakfast; free internet; luxurious bed, fantastic location and beautiful, chic decor. What more could one ask for?

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank MsOreoluwa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 14 July 2010

If I could give this hotel more than 5 stars I would! Considering that I am very hard to please this hotel far beyond exceeded my expectations. The staff was friendly, the service spectacular! Warm cookies at the front desk and they helped direct us to wherever we needed to go. If all hotels were like this one I'm sure more people would travel !!!!!

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank KayDoll6988
Richfield, MN
Reviewed 12 July 2010

The Hampton Inn accommodated us from beginning to finish with the best customer service from every single employee. We walked in without a reservation and they stored our bags for the day and allowed us to enjoy their delicious continental breakfast that morning!! We also had an incredible view of the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building from our hotel window. No complaints whatsoever!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank julesjacobs
Los Angeles
Reviewed 6 July 2010

This hotel is right near the Canal St. subway and close to Soho, Tribecca and Greenwich Village. The staff was amazing! J and Amy at the front desk were awesome! Very helpful, always friendly. Jen the bartender was a wonderful compliment to the fairly new hotel. The rroms are large, sleek and new with comfortable bedding. Full size iron and ironing board, closet safe and all the bathroom ammenities. Free internet access is a PLUS in New York. Everyday the have a complimentary breakfast and that too is great! If you are looking for gourmet breakfast, go to a nearby restaurant. But it's perfect to start the day off with. I would highly recommend this hotel. I know when I needed to book a hotel, the reviews are what helped me. The only downfall would be the actuall street it is located on, not very inviting. But walk a block or two and you're in the middle of the action.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2010

I concur with the previous positive reviews, this is an excellent hotel only 17 months old. Compared to the standard Hampton Inn it is a bit special, more trendy and stylish. The staff are very helpful, the breakfast buffet is excellent and served in a lovely breakfast room with adjoining conservatory, there is a small bar on site, the location is great with the restaurants and bars of SoHo, Greenwich Village and Little Italy within walking distance. There is a Subway station round the corner (get a $8.25 day card which gives unlimited rides on the Subway all day long but if staying for more than 3 days buy a 7-day pass for $27 as it is the cheapest option). There is no guest laundry on site but there is a (rather shabby) public laundromat only a few minutes walk away ($4 per wash and about $1.50 to dry). There are two elevators and providing both are working you don't have to wait long. There are two PCs with Internet connection in the foyer. The hotel is very popular so early check in/late check out are difficult to get but they will safeguard your luggage. There is a safe in each room but no refrigerator although there are Ice Machines on a number of floors and there are complimentary hot and cold drinks as well as fresh fruit available 24/7.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank travelpassion
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Our stay here was from Apr 29-May 03 2010. The room was great. It seemed spacious for a New York hotel room. The king size bed, like wow! It was nice and comfy. I slept like a baby every night. There was a lot of space to unpack our clothes.

The only negative I can find in my stay there is the low flow shower heads.

The cleaning staff was attentive. The people at the front desk were professional, courteous, helpful and overall friendly. The hotel was close enough to 1-2-3 line and the A-C-E line subway entrances. Also cabs were always nearby.

Also the hotel is close enough to Little Italy, Chinatown and the Lower East Side that you can actually walk there. We did on several occasions. I had a great experience.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ARUB
uk
Reviewed 25 May 2010

We stayed for 4 nights at the Hampton on a girlie shopping weekend. We chose the hotel for the area and to be honest it was a great choice. it's a two minute walk and you are right in to soho shopping streets. The price of this hotel cannot be beaten. I was slightly hesitant at the 2 star rating but don't let this put you off. The rooms are spotless and fairly spacious, the bathroom is of high quality and the cleaning of the rooms each day was excellent. The reception staff were all amazingly polite and helpful, sorted us out with taxi's, locations and even a Dr when we needed it!! Breakfast is a free for all in the morning, just grab what you want and go, seating is limited, but it was free! I wouldn't hesitate to use this hotel again and hopefully we will use on our next trip!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends