“Not your average Hampton Inn”

Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo
Ranked #297 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Charlottesville, VA
“Not your average Hampton Inn”
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Travelled to NYC for one night, solo, for a theater performance in Soho, and chose the Hampton Inn for its location near the theater. Getting to the hotel in a cab was a bit of a problem due to the traffic jammed up on Watts St waiting to get to the Holland Tunnel. When I left the following day, the lack of a doorman to help me get a cab was a bit of a problem. The cost of my room was the same that I would have paid at a more full service hotel, so I was a bit disappointed with this lack of service.
That complaint aside, the front desk staff was very nice, and my room was comfortable and had an excellent view out to the Empire State Bldg. As others have mentioned, the location was great for walking around Soho. The complimentary breakfast bar was fine, pretty standard Hampton Inn fare.
I suspect that there are better hotel choices in the neighborhood, and will shop around a bit more next time.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Stayed 3 nights on business. Terrific room (quite large for the price). Nice view of Midtown. The north side of the hotel is very quiet. I don't know about the south side - it's a pretty congested area so it might be noisier there.

Very comfortable stay. This is my favorite Manhattan hotel in this price range.

Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 August 2010

We stayed two weekends. The rooms were clean, but the second weekend there was a chemical smell from cleaning products very strong and very present and didn't go away. The A/C units throughout the hotel are very loud - to the point here they kept us up at night. When I tried to get help with these issues, I was firmly reminded I had used a coupon to book the room on their site and they were very busy. If you have an issue, there simply is no customer service at this hotel.
We left in the morning at 9AM and when we came back at 3:30, the room had still not been made up. No apologies, and when we complained to the front desk they apparently yelled at the cleaning staff, who then knocked on our door and yelled at us! When we finally did get to speak to the assistant manger, she was surly and unfriendly, and though we had a night's stay comped, we left feeling badly used. I contacted the national chain, and they said they like to have these issues dealt with by the hotel in question, and that I should contact them directly. Again, no customer service.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank 33804Thj101
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Very impressed, because we ended up having a really great rate! The front desk wait was pretty long and the lady at the reception really took her time - but overall very friendly.
Free breakfast buffet was AMAZING!
Free computer/internet terminal was great.
Our room was fine, but my colleagues didn't have heat the first night, and because they "pre-paid" for the room they weren't credited/weren't able to be... but they sent the repair man in and it was all fixed.
Overall great value, great little hotel, location was AMAZING!!!! Walked to all the best shopping and close to subway!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
NJ
Reviewed 25 July 2010

We had to stay here for a wedding- it was ideally located between the church and the reception. I checked the Tripadvisor reviews and looked at the hotel photos to figure that it would be perfect considering the location. When we arrived, we were surprised to find that there was not valet parking- and the "hotel parking" was about 5 blocks away. There also weren't any bellmen as we needed help with our baggage- I ended up having to maneuver the luggage cart into the small elevator and through the small hallway corridor to the room. The room had a very strong smell of mildew and the giant brown watermark on the ceiling proved evident of the cause. The room was not too bad in size in relation to city rooms. The view from the 18th floor was pretty decent, but the room really seemed old and in desperate need of some sort of renovation. I think the hotel made a feeble attempt of trying to update the bathroom- but it was definitely inspired by an airplane restroom. The walls were paper-thin and unstable as they shook every time someone closed the door on the same floor or the floor above. We also could hear entire conversations from the people staying upstairs through the vents. There was not any type of restaurant in the hotel, or a minibar, although they do provide a complimentary breakfast in the morning. We were unable to get to breakfast, so I can't really comment on that. The occupants were mostly people from outside the US. And, the only positive thing that I can actually say, other than the location, is that the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wanderlust333
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 16 July 2010

What can I say about the Hampton Inn that hasn't already been said? I travelled with my sister and we spent a lot of time online researching hotels for our New York trip. For the most part, the hotels we found were expensive with tiny rooms. The reviews were not always complimentary either, so when we found the Hampton Inn, it seemed to have all that we were looking for - cleanliness, good location and average-sized rooms.

First off, after a long trip from Lagos, we were welcomed by the extremely friendly staff. Our room was a decent size. Not huge, but spacious compared to other rooms that we saw online. The beds were huge and luxurious. The rooms were cleaned everyday and the bathroom was spotless (something I'm very particular about).

The breakfast was complimentary and huge. I unashamedly filled up in the mornings (well, I was on holiday) and rarely needed to eat until the late afternoon.

There was free internet in the rooms. The only slight downside was that it was an Ethernet cable so only 1 computer could be online at a time. However, there are 2 online computers in the lobby and wireless internet on the entire ground floor.

The location was a dream come true! Not being familiar with New York, I really didn't have a clue about where was a good area to stay. All I knew was that everywhere was pretty much accessible by subway and that Soho was a supposedly trendy area. I had some concerns because one of the previous reviewers had mentioned that there was a tunnel or highway next to the hotel. Watts Street, which Hampton Inn is on, leads to the Holland Tunnel. This means that at rush hour there is an incredible line of cars inching forward into the tunnel. However, this does not affect pedestrians in anyway. There was no significant noise that disturbed my sleep.

A few streets away from the hotel was a shopping paradise, so if you're trying to save the pennies by not shopping, then don't stay here unless you have a will of steel. The neighbourhood is very vibrant with shops, art galleries and restaurants. It's walking distance from the Village, which is a very cool place to walk through. There are also a number of subway lines close by, so venturing beyond the immediate vicinity was not a problem.

The bill given to us on the last day of our trip was higher than the amount we had reserved the room for online by several hundred. I told the front desk staff and she apologised and promptly printed out a new bill.

All in all, the Hampton Inn Manhattan-Soho was an EXTREMELY great find. It was excellent value for money: affordable; clean; super customer service; yummy breakfast; free internet; luxurious bed, fantastic location and beautiful, chic decor. What more could one ask for?

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank MsOreoluwa
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 14 July 2010

If I could give this hotel more than 5 stars I would! Considering that I am very hard to please this hotel far beyond exceeded my expectations. The staff was friendly, the service spectacular! Warm cookies at the front desk and they helped direct us to wherever we needed to go. If all hotels were like this one I'm sure more people would travel !!!!!

• Stayed May 2010