“adequate place but nothing special”

Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo
Ranked #304 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 September 2010

the rooms were clean but less than average size even for nyc.
the ac was noisy and the staff cheery but less than helpful most times.
beds were soft. breakfast was edible but not tasty.
the price was $300. on a holiday weekend booked about 2 weeks in advance-
i am sure there is better value for the money and would rate this middle of the pack.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank love2travel4242
karlbaugher, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2010

Dear lovetotravel4242,

Our goal is always to impress the guest and I can see we didn't do a good job in impressing you. Please accept my apologies. We abide by all Hampton Inn standards and for the most part generate great comments. If you would let us know what more we could do to improve future guests stays or a future stay for you it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to write the review and we do appreciate your business.

Best Regards,
Karl

Reviewed 5 September 2010

I agree with pretty much everything enofile1 says (review below posted on Sept 3). This a typical Hampton Inn so nothing fancy. The rooms are quite small. The beds are the typical Hampton beds. The location is great. You are close to Greenwich Village/Tribeca area which is by far the best part of NYC--fewer crowds and great restaurants. The gym was average but for a Hampton Inn it was excellent. The lobby was clean. There was a small bar that we tried to go to but the bartender kind of ignored us and was still learning how to make drinks. The bellman--Shane was the highlight. He was friendly (unlike the others) and went out of his way to help out. There is a great 19th floor outdoor terrace that cannot be missed. The view is spectacular and a great place to sip some wine.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tulsau
Reviewed 3 September 2010

I was disappointed that the Trump Soho raised their rates for the Fall Season, and I was unwilling to pay over $500 for a hotel room. Just around the corner from the Trump, I eyed the Hampton Inn-Soho at about half the price. I thought I would give it a try. Since I booked the Hampton with a third party,I was not awarded one of their better rooms.It was small, gloomy, but certainly clean and serviceable.Although my room faced Watts Street & was not on a very high floor,I was not disturbed by the tunnel traffic noise.The bathroom had plenty of decent towels and although not luxurious,it served its purpose without hassle.The bed was comfortable enough & everything worked okay in the room.My colleague thought the included breakfast was fine.Service was friendly,but without aplomb & charm.I guess I would stay at this hotel(motel?)again if hotel prices skyrocket in Manhattan & I can't find anything better at a decent price.The Soho-Tribeca location can't be beat if you choose to avoid the tourist hordes invading Midtown.However,I suggest you look for other alternatives first.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Philip G
Reviewed 1 September 2010

the hotel is very convenient to many popular places in NYC. it's a short subway ride to times square and also a short ride over to brooklyn. we moved our son to brooklyn on this trip, and his college is off of 19th street in manhattan, so we were right in between both locations and it was very easy to get around. he easily came to us one evening from his school and we walked to dinner. we'd take the subway to and from the canal street exit and always felt safe the short block or so that we were on the street. we loved that the hotel was basically new (less than 2 years old, we heard) and had all the modern conveniences in the rooms and bathrooms. the staff was extremely nice - the cookies were awesome! get there right around 4 p.m. for cookies! our room overlooked the empire state building and was nice, quiet and very clean. we enjoyed the hot breakfasts every morning and the sunny terrace that we sat in to eat. the USA today papers were a bonus. we anticipate coming back to see our son throughout this year and next year, and we plan to stay here again. hopefully we can get the inexpensive rate again next time. we will recommend this to our other relatives who will come to NYC to see him. we stayed here august 24-29, 2010.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We loved this hotel. It is a perfect location in Soho. Walking distance to Chinatown, the village, the lower east side and 1 1/2 blocks from the Canal street subway. The rooms were very clean, staff very helpful, great free breakfast and free internet access. Will definitely stay here next time we're in Manhattan.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hampton Inn for five nights in january, and I'd say, you get what you pay for: you're in very short walking distance to the fun places in Soho and the Village and the room and its bathroom are clean. Since we stayed there in January and it was freezing, I wasn't too happy about the somewhat shabby heating system, which was a loud and very windy aircon kind of thing which didn't really do a good job in heating the small hotelroom, so I was more or less constantly freezing in our hotelroom. We never told the management though, maybe they could and would have fixed it, so we ca't blame them! Staff was always friendly and helpful. There is something like breakfast served in the morning, but it's all self-serviced and produces unbelievable amounts of trash every day: plastic cups, styrofoam cups, messuring cups for the pancakes, plastic forks, spoons, plates... Of course it's convenient, but I felt really bad and stopped eating there altogether because of that. GO (at least a little bit!) GREEN, HAMPTON INN !!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We came here for a 4 night stay in Mid-August and were very impressed with the hotel and definetly would stay here again. We checked in late and got a room next to the elevator but even then it was pretty quiet and we could not hear it other than the beeping when it has arrived. Positives: Great hotel staff, the concierges are outstanding and helpful. They have a decent hot breakfast in the morning and the location is great. If you want to be around $200 a night this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple