“Fantastic price, good location - would definitely stay again!”

Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo
Ranked #296 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Westminster, Maryland
“Fantastic price, good location - would definitely stay again!”
Reviewed 26 November 2010

I travelled to NYC with two young children to see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. We arrived well before our check-in time and although our room was not yet ready, the front desk staff made us feel welcome by allowing us to check our bags free of charge, help ourselves to beverages, use restrooms, etc.

Parking was offered at a discounted rate ($35) a few blocks away, just be sure to have the front desk stamp the ticket given to you at the garage. They did not charge the usual extra fee for a large vehicle (I drive a minivan).

The room itself was very clean. We were on the 17th floor with a "city view". I didn't necessarily find the view to be anything spectacular, although we were only in the room at night, so maybe it looked neater during the day.

We were up and out of the hotel by 6 am to go see the parade, so we missed the free breakfast, but we were able to grab a brown bag breakfast and some hot chocolate , yogurt, muffins, etc to take with us. We checked out before leaving for the parade, but again we checked our bags with the front desk... we spoke to several other families at the parade whose hotels charged $10+ per bag to hold them, so thanks again to the Hampton Inn for allowing you to do this for free. Another plus was that it was an easy walk to the Canal St subway stations on both the red and blue lines.

The only negative/warning I would give to other travelers is to be aware of heavy traffic in front of the hotel, as it is right by the entrance to the Holland Tunnel. We got our car from the garage and had a heck of a time trying to get into the right hand lane to pull up to the front of the hotel to pick up our bags. I wished that we had gotten our bags first and taken them to the garage and left from there. This might not be possible if you are traveling with a lot of luggage, just be aware that traffic can get quite heavy (and cut-throat!) when people are trying to get into the tunnel.,

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
karlbaugher, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, 1 December 2010
Dear cwade0,

Thanks for taking the time out to write a review on our hotel and about your experience. We greatly appreciate all feed back and my staff reads each one every week. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and please tell all your friends in Westminster to visit, it's my home town!

Thanks and Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Karl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 November 2010

I really want to like this hotel because of the price and location. It is located in a good location and for a New York hotel, the price to amenities ratio can't be beat. The room is small, but you expect that in New York. The service was good and responded to my service request quickly. Also, there is a nice bar in the lobby and you receive a discount coupon upon check-in to use there. Now for the bad. The water from the shower took forever to heat up and never fully did so I had to take a lukewarm shower. Not especially comforting on a brisk day. There were some cleanliness issues: a few stray hairs in the shower and on the bed. But the worst thing was the constant hum of the electrical room. Thought it was temporary, but I think this is a permanent noise on the second floor. If you check-in and you are offered a room on that floor, DO NOT TAKE IT! Just know you were warned. Thankfully, I was only there for one annoyingly loud night. The hotel really needs to stop placing guests on that floor until the situation is resolved (or give a disclaimer at check-in) because it is awful. May consider it again, but definitely will explore other options in the area.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Dear VAPeach8,

Well, we try to please every guest every time but it's apparent we didn't do a good job in meeting and beating your expectations on our hotel. I truely am sorry you experienced a humming noise on the second floor. We checked it out and can't find where it may have come from. It may have been from the outside of the hotel. As for the cleanliness conditions you experienced, I have forwarded your comments to my executive housekeeper for her to review and show the staff that cleaned your room before you checked in.

Sadly, if you don't select our hotel next time, there are many other great options in the Soho area you may love.

Thanks for taking the time to write this review albeit not one my staff loved to read. We take the good with the not so good and use it as an educational tool.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I will return to this hotel when in NYC. 2 blocks to the subway, great walking neighborhoods all around it. The breakfast is very good, everything was good, no complaints at all.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
karlbaugher, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, 26 October 2010
Dear pjl75D,

Thanks for the review and thank you for your business here at our hotel. We always appreciate the plugs from our guests. Please come back and see us again soon.

devon
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Me and 3 girlfriends stayed in this hotel for an extended weekend break (4 nights in total). After researching other hotels in NY, we were shocked to come across this hotel at such a cheap price, and from the pictures in looked lovely, so didn't hesitate to book it

Upon arrival we were greeting by the receptionist (Jay) who was very welcoming. No problems with check in at all, all over and done with in 5 minutes, only needed a credit card to cover damaged or extra charges. We were given a lovely 2 double bed room with a city view of Empire State Building and Chyrilsller building.

After settling in our room, we received a phone call from Jay at reception checking to see if everything was ok with our room (which is was) and informing us there were complimentary freshly baked cookies on reception to help ourselves too.

The room was plenty big enough, even for 4 people. Wardrobe space, personal safe, flat screen TV, hair dry, lovely shower/bath, and internet wire if needed. Two very comfy double beds and fresh linen daily (if needed). The was a roof garden on level 19 which you could use to your lesuire, and ice machines on selected floors.

Metro station was less than 5 min walk away, with access to both the red and blue line (uptown and downtown and brooklyn). We didn't really eat in the area, but found a few lovely places in Greenwich village, I recommend The Riviera.

The breakfast from the hotel was an extra bonus, good selection of foods every morning - toast, bagels, muffins, cereal, eggs, bacon and pancakes, plus you can cook your own waffles fresh every morning. Complimentary tea, coffee and juice are available throughout the day.

We used to restaurant bar on our last night, cocktails were great and bar staff were very good, with daily cocktail specials.

On our last day we were allowed to leave our luggage for the day, when we got back we waited for our shuttle in the restaurant, still allowed to help ourselfs to drinks, the reception staff came to get us when it arrived and helped us with our luggage.

Overall, one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Staf extremely helpful, rooms to a very high standard, and superb location. Only two minor issues - no shelf in the bathroom for toileteries (Which was a small problem with 4 girls, all with makeup etc), and also breakfast used plastic cutlery/plates whic cant be very enviornment, but neither of these when stop me coming back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
karlbaugher, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, 15 October 2010
Dear Tori18,

OK, so that has to be one of the best reviews written so far and I swear I didn't pay you either. Thanks so much for the amazing review of the hotel. My staff and I can't tahnk you enough. It's a great boost to the staff's moral when they read their hard work is paying off. They really do care about the customer service they provide here too.

On you last 2 comments yes, I apologize there just isn't enough room for a decent size shelf on the wall considering the towels and towel rack take up so much space. As for the cuttlery in the breakfast area, the great news is, as of January 1st, 2011 we are switching over to ALL bio degradable plates, cups and cuttlery. Even in the guest rooms all guest cups will be bio. We're pretty excited to make this change as we are trying to get as "green" as possible to minimize our carbon foot print on society.

Thanks again and we appreciate your business, please tell your friends!

Sydney
Reviewed 10 October 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Hampton Inn Manhattan Soho back in April-May 2010. There were 3 main things I was looking for when choosing this property. (1) Location (2) Cleanliness (3) Size of rooms. I have to say this property ticked all my boxes.

(1) Location - Right in West SOHO, the area is sandwiched between SOHO and Tribeca and hence very nicely situated for those interested in restaurants, good shopping, and easy transport access uptown. The metro station was less than 5 mins away from the hotel so we were able to zip around Manhattan and Brooklyn with ease. All though all of the major department stores such as Saks, Bloomingdales etc are located uptown, we were treated to some really nice boutique shops surrounding the hotel. Restaurants, you can find from a walking distance, we had a really nice meal right opp to the hotel a mexican restaurant called 'Lupes'. If you're after upmarket, only a walk away you will find all of the top end restaurants such as Nobu.

(2) Cleanliness - Room was nicely clean and prepared for us when we checked in. It was cleaned adequately daily.

(3) Room Size - Many travellers often complain about the small size of rooms in NYC hotels, but I was pleasantly surprised at how spacious this hotel was, it was a good size for 2, enough space for suitcases to be packed away. Room featured a modern bath/shower, decent decoration (nothing horrendous like pink etc), a nice size Flat Screen TV. Wifi was also available down near the lobby and breakfast area complimentary. I believe they were in the process of extending it to the rooms as well.

All in all, if you're after a comfortable and clean room downtown with complimentary breakfast you can't get much better than the Hampton Inn - Manhattan SOHO, for the price I paid I was pleasantly surprised. I would definitely be staying here again in future.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
karlbaugher, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, 12 October 2010
Dear Mikluap,

We so hapy we were able to satisfy all three of your wishes for a hotel in NYC. It's always great to get the perspective from a guest that lives outside the United States. I hope you and yours had a great time in the city and I'd like to thnk you so much for your business, we hope you'll recommend our hotel to your friends and chose to stay here with us again if your travels ever bring you back state side.

Ontario's Near North, Canada
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I did quite a bit of research through tripadvisor and decided that this would be a great hotel for my girlfriends and I, which it turned out to be, thanks to the reviews. The location was very convenient. It's very close to the subway, which we made use of every day. The hotel rooms were very nice and the people at the front desk were very helpful. The breakfast was a great bonus!
Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Dear ckpianodude,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. We're glad you chose our hotel for your New York City getaway. I appreciate all the feedback we get from our guests both positive and constructive. Thanks for staying with us and I hope in the future you'll recommend us to your friends.

reading
Reviewed 29 September 2010

i was surprised to see reviews talking about the large size of the rooms as ours was very small and not well designed especially being a wheelchair accessible room. room was so small you could not position a wheelchair next to the bed to transfer. one using a chair was forced to transfer to the foot of the bed and pull ones self up the bed to the head board. roll in shower had no built in seat. we arrived at 3pm but room was not available for check in. no valet parking, there is a self park a few blocks away. included breakfast was a bonus. nyc prices are very expensive and in general your dollar doesn't buy much hotel room. this was just average for the price.

• Stayed August 2010
Dear luvtotravelalot,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I apologize you were not very happy with the size of the room you received. Unfortunately with newer hotels in the city, the rooms tend to be smaller then the older hotels of past days. We do try to keep our prices down therefore do not have valet parking at the hotel. The parking garge is just 1.5 blocks behind us and we do offer a hotel discount for our guests. I'm hoping you were able to get taht discount.

Thank you again for your business and again I apologize for the inadequate size of room you experienced. I hope being in the Big Apple made up for that.