“Not what it once was - but keep it simple and you'll be OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Frida

Cafe Frida
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Frida is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,042 of 13,554 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Central American, South American
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Transit: Subway 1 to 79 st Subway 2, 3 to 72 st Subway C to 81st Bus M7
Description: The authenticity in our Mexican Regional Cuisine is a ritual of flavors, aromas, colors and textures dedicated to your soul. Our knowledge and passion for the tequila culture has been awarded by the Tequila Regulatory Council of Mexico since 2006, making us one of the few restaurants in the world of having such honor. Come and enjoy the warmth of Mexico!
NY, NY
“Not what it once was - but keep it simple and you'll be OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Cafe Frida - particularly the Amsterdam location - was our favorite Mexican restaurant in the city. Now it is but a pale echo of it's former self. The impressive salsa list is down to three, they no longer have the huitlacoche queso fundido, and the quality of every taco and entree we tried this visit - particularly the steak - has gone downhill.

On the positive side, the salsas that are left, the guacamole, and the margaritas - particularly the la tentadora - are still great. But very sadly Cafe Frida has become a place to go for drinks and snacks.

• Visited June 2014

• Korean first
Barnegat, New Jersey
“One of those Must Do Places in NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We found Café Frida on accident while looking for another close by restaurant which was packed at the time. We chose Café Frida because it had a shorter wait time and we are so pleased that we went there. Since that time, we have returned several times. While we have our favorites, their specials are always interesting and jut as tasty. And some how, while the portions may seem small, we always leave stuffed after having the nachos and guacamole, the tomato soup and an entrée. Hope you enjoy Café Frida as much as my family does.

• Visited May 2014
LaGrange, Georgia, USA
“Neighborhood Mexican favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

When in NYC, I stay in the neighborhood and typically eat at Cafe Frida at least once during my business trip. I'm not a huge fan of Mexican food, but Cafe Frida doesn't serve typical Mexican fare. Usually, I eat dinner there with business colleagues. Last week my family and I had lunch. We sat by the window in full view of the world walking by across the street from the American Museum of Natural History. I had a hibiscus margarita and the seared tuna salad, and we shared a bowl of guacamole and the trio of salsas. My husband had the fish tacos and my son had the quesadillas, which is starting to sound like Mexican items anywhere, but it's nothing like what we have at home. My colleague loves the mole, and it's because of her that we started going to Cafe Frida in the first place. Recommended.

Visited May 2014
Pembroke Pines, Florida
“Mexican at its Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

After spending countless hours at the Museum of Natural History, all you have to do is walk out the back and straight into Café Frida. The food is superb and authentic. Its great for both lunch or dinner and not to mention the margaritas with various tequila options.

Visited February 2014
Colorado
“great upscale mexican”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I love Cafe Frida. And so has everyone that I've brought there.
It is busy and can be noisy. But, the food and drinks are great -- a little pricey, but the quality is good.
As a vegetarian, always good choices. And my meat eating friends also like it.
The house margs (jamiaca/hibiscus flavor) are good. But my fav is La Guera. Worth the extra bucks.
The veg relleno is always good. When it's in season, they often have huitlicoche choices: enchiladas or empanadas. And you can get the Mole enchiladas with just cheese and not chicken.
Most entrees come with a side: you can get half beans/half rice.
Bunch of salsa choices: I like to get the sampler with 3 salsas.
Oh, and I'm forgetting the Sopa Azteca: delicious roasted tomato soup with add-ins: roasted peppers, tortilla strips, queso fresco. Yum ...
Did I mention that I like Cafe Frida?

• Visited May 2014