“Short walk out the back of Natural History Museum”
Review of Cafe Frida

Cafe Frida
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Frida is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #747 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Transit: Subway 1 to 79 st Subway 2, 3 to 72 st Subway C to 81st Bus M7
Description: The authenticity in our Mexican Regional Cuisine is a ritual of flavors, aromas, colors and textures dedicated to your soul. Our knowledge and passion for the tequila culture has been awarded by the Tequila Regulatory Council of Mexico since 2006, making us one of the few restaurants in the world of having such honor. Come and enjoy the warmth of Mexico!
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Friendly and quick service was the norm for us as the place was buzzing with the World Cup on every TV. Go for the guacamole as it was probably the best I have every had bursting with fresh lime taste and chunks of avocado! This side dish is freshly made when ordered with spice level as you choose from mild to hot. Served with chips on the side. The food is of average taste for Mexican food as far as I have experienced. I ordered fish tacos and they were good but not the best I have had. I highly recommend the guacamole and maybe I will try something different next time I go.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Great Mexican restaurant, gourmet and authentic, great prices and excellent service, good location, a mandatory stop for a Mexican food in NYC

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Cafe Frida - particularly the Amsterdam location - was our favorite Mexican restaurant in the city. Now it is but a pale echo of it's former self. The impressive salsa list is down to three, they no longer have the huitlacoche queso fundido, and the quality of every taco and entree we tried this visit - particularly the steak - has gone downhill.

On the positive side, the salsas that are left, the guacamole, and the margaritas - particularly the la tentadora - are still great. But very sadly Cafe Frida has become a place to go for drinks and snacks.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We found Café Frida on accident while looking for another close by restaurant which was packed at the time. We chose Café Frida because it had a shorter wait time and we are so pleased that we went there. Since that time, we have returned several times. While we have our favorites, their specials are always interesting and jut as tasty. And some how, while the portions may seem small, we always leave stuffed after having the nachos and guacamole, the tomato soup and an entrée. Hope you enjoy Café Frida as much as my family does.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

When in NYC, I stay in the neighborhood and typically eat at Cafe Frida at least once during my business trip. I'm not a huge fan of Mexican food, but Cafe Frida doesn't serve typical Mexican fare. Usually, I eat dinner there with business colleagues. Last week my family and I had lunch. We sat by the window in full view of the world walking by across the street from the American Museum of Natural History. I had a hibiscus margarita and the seared tuna salad, and we shared a bowl of guacamole and the trio of salsas. My husband had the fish tacos and my son had the quesadillas, which is starting to sound like Mexican items anywhere, but it's nothing like what we have at home. My colleague loves the mole, and it's because of her that we started going to Cafe Frida in the first place. Recommended.