“Really enjoyed dinner here”

Hill Country Barbecue Market
Reserve with OpenTable
Hill Country Barbecue Market is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #375 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$18 - US$38
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Bar
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Between Broadway and 6th Avenue
Transit: 1, 6, N, R, & W trains to 28th Street, and F & M trains to 23rd Street.
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I'm not sure I've ever eaten barbecue that was specifically Texas hill country barbecue, but if this was representative of it, they have a new convert! Unlike so much barbecue one gets, this was JUICY and TENDER -- not stringy, not dried out. The restaurant itself is novel in a few ways -- you get a meal ticket as you enter, and as you order beverages at your table, or meat or side dishes at serving stations, the ticket gets marked up, and when you check out, you pay up. The meat is served on butcher paper (not on plates), but it's substantial enough paper -- and the meat is so tender -- that there's no problem cutting through the paper. What would have been a problem in many barbecue places was not a problem here, due to the high quality meat. My wife had the prime rib and I had a rib and chicken combo, and I think we were both very pleased. The "Texas caviar" (black eyed peas) was served cold as a salad, not a way I had ever had black eyed peas before, and quite good. I sampled my wife's collards and found them mild flavored. My corn bread came with seasoned butter, which was very nice. My wife also had a white corn side which I quite liked, although I think it left her sort of cold. I liked the place better than my wife did, but then again, she is from East Tennessee and has very definite ideas about what barbecue should be, while I originally came from upstate New York and am a bit more open to new experiences in the world of barbecue. It was inexpensive (I had a Blue Moon and wife had an iced tea in addition to what's itemized above -- total was $51.00 plus tip -- which by Manhattan standards was a real bargain for dinner for two, the last time I looked.

1  Thank BetweentheLakes
There are newer reviews for Hill Country Barbecue Market

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Went there as part of a big group on a Monday night for the 'all you can eat' - a great night out. Really good ribs, brisket and chicken with mountains of sides. The rest of the menu looked so appealing as well... although serving the meat on greasy paper rather than plates could slightly dampen the appetite. It felt very strange to leave at the end of the night and be in the heart of Manhattan rather than Texas!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Good atmosphere which will remind you of Texas if you have ever been there. The place reminds me of barbecue places I have been to in Texas and the ribs are juicy and certainly to die for. The service could have been more attentive (when I wife and I ordered our beers it did take a while before we got them from our waitress). Yes the food was a little pricey but there was a live band and there was no cover. The beers were reasonable priced however. We would definitely go back.

1  Thank Mike4TraveI
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Went with my wife and friends from NZ we met with on a short stay in NYC. Whatever other reviewers say about service this place must be ultimately judged on it's food. It's food is really really good. I had moist brisket, chicken quarter, pork and beef rib. Sides of mac n cheese and beans n burnt ends. It was amazing. I had the meat sweats the next day and it was good. The UK, and London particularly, is starting to catch up with good US smoked and BBQ meat but is still some distance from the bar set by this place. To the proprietor: Upper Street, Islington, North London, UK has a number of vacant premises that I urge you to fill with the smell of BBQ cooking. Highly recommended.

1  Thank johnpaddy375
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Searching around for a great BBQ in N.Y.C. ? I tried a few places in the city but nothing compared to Hill Country. From the brisket, ribs, sausage and chicken it was all amazing. Your given a score card and head over to pick your smoked meats from the meat counter, then head over to the side counter and pick your sides. You are charged by the weight of what you select. The price is a little expensive, but then again its worth every penny. The sides, mac and cheese, the campfire beans, German potatoes, and bourbon baked beans are off the charts! You gotta check out this place A +++ Located on 26th Street near Broadway