“Great Lean Brisket”

Hill Country Barbecue Market
Reserve with OpenTable
Hill Country Barbecue Market is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #349 of 14,008 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$18 - US$38
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Between Broadway and 6th Avenue
Transit: 1, 6, N, R, & W trains to 28th Street, and F & M trains to 23rd Street.
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Very well done lean brisket. Though the sides are a little on the expensive side. On weekends make a reservation before you go

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I think there is a niche that this place is trying to serve- good BBQ in lower Manhattan- but to me the concept falls short. It is incredibly busy; what makes that worse is that it's self-seating and you have to queue to order your meal before you can sit. Food was average.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Go there on a Wednesday. Trust me. They on have wings on Wednesday nights and while everything at Hill Country is pretty decent, the wings are probably the best I've ever had.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I'm not sure I've ever eaten barbecue that was specifically Texas hill country barbecue, but if this was representative of it, they have a new convert! Unlike so much barbecue one gets, this was JUICY and TENDER -- not stringy, not dried out. The restaurant itself is novel in a few ways -- you get a meal ticket as you enter, and as you order beverages at your table, or meat or side dishes at serving stations, the ticket gets marked up, and when you check out, you pay up. The meat is served on butcher paper (not on plates), but it's substantial enough paper -- and the meat is so tender -- that there's no problem cutting through the paper. What would have been a problem in many barbecue places was not a problem here, due to the high quality meat. My wife had the prime rib and I had a rib and chicken combo, and I think we were both very pleased. The "Texas caviar" (black eyed peas) was served cold as a salad, not a way I had ever had black eyed peas before, and quite good. I sampled my wife's collards and found them mild flavored. My corn bread came with seasoned butter, which was very nice. My wife also had a white corn side which I quite liked, although I think it left her sort of cold. I liked the place better than my wife did, but then again, she is from East Tennessee and has very definite ideas about what barbecue should be, while I originally came from upstate New York and am a bit more open to new experiences in the world of barbecue. It was inexpensive (I had a Blue Moon and wife had an iced tea in addition to what's itemized above -- total was $51.00 plus tip -- which by Manhattan standards was a real bargain for dinner for two, the last time I looked.

1  Thank BetweentheLakes
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Went there as part of a big group on a Monday night for the 'all you can eat' - a great night out. Really good ribs, brisket and chicken with mountains of sides. The rest of the menu looked so appealing as well... although serving the meat on greasy paper rather than plates could slightly dampen the appetite. It felt very strange to leave at the end of the night and be in the heart of Manhattan rather than Texas!