“the right place and price!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wolcott Hotel

Wolcott Hotel
Ranked #252 of 467 Hotels in New York City
owensboro kentucky
“the right place and price!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights the weekend before Thanksgiving. 3 of us shared a 2 room suite (single bed in 1 room + queen bed in 2nd room ) with a single bath.

It's not the Ritz!, but our room and bath were clean/ the towels were soft and fluffy and the breakfast of muffins/coffee/tea was decent. It's in a great location near Empire State and Macys, and the price of the 2 room suite can't be beat.

Our only problem was heat ... we were on 10th floor and had too much heat in our suite, so we turned on A/C in order to sleep comfortably.
Check-in and out was quick and easy ... no problems with parking and /or validating the parking ticket.

I'm giving it 3 star rating because it fits my description of "shabby/sheik" ... good value older hotel with character.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank justsaygo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
The World
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

This hotel offers excellent value if you are looking for a good deal for a basic but clean hotel. We considered spending a lot more for a more upmarket hotel but decided for a city break it just wasn't worth it - we were hardly in the hotel room. This hotel is in an excellent location which made the rate even better value. The room was clean and spacious and very quiet. We did not experience any problems with the water in the shower as some other people had mentioned. The radiator does make a really strange spraying noise though! I had read that before we came and wondered how bad it would be. It turned out though that we were absolutely shattered every night and so just fell straight asleep so it didn't really cause a problem for us.

The coffee and muffins in the lobby were an appreciated extra. Great to start the day and then you can look for somewhere to grab something else to eat if it's not enough to get you going.

In the room there is a safe. Hairdryer also in bathroom. Great closet! If you check in before your room is ready or have bags to leave after check out there is a locker room where you can put your cases. The lockers are huge so fit our big cases in them. But if you need to use a few, no probelm they are only about a quarter or something like that per locker.

We would stay in this hotel if we go back to NY. The money you save staying here goes a long way to enjoying other things the city has to offer. After all why spend all your money on the best hotel when you then have nothing left over to enjoy your holiday?!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank skygirl340
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2011

great location and beautiful lobby. this place is a historic building of new york and definitly worth a look inside the lobby/foyer has beautiful early century carved ceilings. the rooms were clean and not noisy even though it is RIGHT BEHIND THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING! need i say more?

oh, and has a gym-like room

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LetiziaD
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

Booked this hotel based on price. I'm not a fussy traveller - a clean bed and bathroom usually does the job - however I have never encountered a shower like this! There seemed to be no way to control the temperature - even when the hot tap is turned off the cold tap still spouts practically boiling water. Turning the hot tap on and off a few times seemed to do the trick - eventually.
Location is fantastic, our 11th floor room also had a great view of the Empire State Building, and it is a few minutes walk to the subway and Macys.
The hotel itself is old but kept very clean, I have stayed in far more modern hotels that have been grubby in comparison.
While it is a nice added extra to get coffee and muffins in the morning for breakfast the lobby is ill equipped to cater for everyone at the same time, (more tables are needed)and as the previous comment noted there was a school group staying in the hotel last week and by coincidence our arrival in the lobby each morning usually coincided with their partaking breakfast, taking up every available seat and sittling on the floor. TIP - there's a small tray in your room under the ice bucket, just bring the coffee and muffins back up to the hotel room.
I found the staff to be fairly helpful,desk staff were polite and pleasant on arrival and departure, the concierge helped us with directions to a particular area in Queens that we had to visit, but I think if you are used to 4 or 5 star hotels with staff brown nosing, then this is not the hotel for you. If you just want a very cheap, clean hotel that is in a fantastic location then this is the place to stay - and who goes to NYC to stay in their hotel room?

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank claricias
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Wolcott as part of our honeymoon last Aug. We expected it to be in need of refurberation, and had heard it was a little past it's sell-by date, but was clean and would do as a place to rest our heads while on a whirlwind visit of NY.

The room they tried to put us in first was a complete disaster. It was tiny, barely room to step around the bed - which was hardly bigger than a single - I know we were on honeymoon, but come on! The ensuite was not an ensuite, it was a wet room, hardly big enough to turn around in, and you had to step though a closet to get to it. I was unimpressed to say the least. We'd speacified a large King-sized room and had been charged accordingly. My Husband went down to see what he could do, because if I'd gone, little miss smirky at the front desk would have had her day escalated from Bad to "Worst of her life!" in seconds.

He came back with two room keys, the first he told me not to bother with, he knows me so well. The other room was larger, had a view of the Empire State, a real double bed, a proper wardrobe, safe, dressing table and we could walk past each other without fear of falling over. We took it.

Amazing considering lettle miss "lucky escape" said ours was her only room left when we checked in, but had two to show us when ours was rejected.

Obviously you don't come to NY to stay in your hotel, and we were no exception to that rule, but even it's basic and olde-worlde charm was lost on me after a day. Few amenities and basic coffee and soggy muffins in the lobby for breakfast. I wasn't impressed. The bed felt slept in, and the sheets were knobbly, I wasn't comfortable and was happy to move on.

Before I forget, if your not comfortable with small spaces, avoid the lifts. Tiny, and oh, so slow. I swear I thought there was someone behind the scenes pulling ropes!

Different people experience things differently, so if you want somewhere basic and clean and relatively inexpensive, go for it, but I personally wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2011

I liked the hotel. I wasn't excepting anything special, and special it ain't. The rooms had the basics though (our room was quite spacey!) and they were sufficiently cleaned with fresh towels (and sheets if you wished) each morning - In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the cleaners were the most helpful of all the hotel staff. I echo everyone else's thoughts when I say the hotel staff were absolutely appalling - no help here whatsoever, not even a smile! The icing on the cake would've had to have been when I asked the concierge a question about transport to JFK airport and she responded with "I dunno" and that was that.
Staff aside, our room had a lovely view of the Empire State Building and we found everything to be in reasonable walking distance. It was slightly annoying to have a couple of school groups staying at the same time (in the room next to ours, mind you); screeching all morning, knocking at our door and pressing every button on the elevator on the way down. Took all of my patience to not murder one of the miserable brats, but what can you do? I'd visit again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

Great Hotel in NYC. Reasonably prices and in a great location. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Would definatley recommend. This was our first time in NYC and we felt completely safe in this neighbourhood

Thankyou for a wounderful stay

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends