“stay away!”

Ranked #247 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“stay away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

Hotel is not as shown on website pictures, rooms are dirty, aircon sometimes doesnt work. I asked my luggage to be left in their secure area after check out. Upon collecting it, I noticed the padlocks were tampered with. I reported this to the receptionist, he was rude & did not listen saying it doesnt happen to their hotel, yeah right! I showed him my tampered suitcase, but he became even worst!. The lady at the tour desk is often not there & doesnt seem to know New York! Hotel lobby & every floor lobby smells as there is no centralised aircon. Breakfast is free but staff need to check for hygiene as folks use their hands to pick the muffins. Wifi is slow and not free. Bathroom not clean. Stay away as it'll ruin your NY experience.

Room Tip: stay away from this hotel
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Carla A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

My husband and I stayed here from 4 March - 10 March 2011. The location of this hotel is really what you are paying for.

Our room was basic but clean. Not fancy, but realistically we just slept there at night. Some of the reviews we read complained that the room was too small. But we found that it was fine - especially because we kept all our suitcases in the large wardrobe so it helped keep the room feeling more spacious. The bedding was very comfortable.

Our only complaint about the room was the shower. It could be a little temperamental and it took a while for the hot water to start. Sometimes the water temperature would suddenly become very hot or very cold. The tap handles were a little stiff, but we found that if we really turned them hard, we could adjust the temperature back to a good level.

The only downside about this hotel was the front desk staff. They were not friendly at all and were actually quiet rude - except for the young guy who worked the late night shifts. He was very friendly and helpful.

The hotel itself is very ornate inside and really feels like a turn of the century building. Just lovely. Also there were free muffins and coffee in the morning which was great. The hotel has a coin operated laundry which is very helpful. Whilst it doesn't have a restaurant, it is directly across the road from Ayza wine and chocolate bar. It's a great little place, very popular. We recommend the white truffle pizza! Yum!!

All in all, we would stay here again. Its a great price, for a fantastic location. Aside from the largely rude staff, its really a nice little place - as long as you aren't expecting the Plaza.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LeoMoo
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

I stayed at the Wolcott for a few nights while travelling home from Europe to Australia. I hadn't been to America before, and while I really enjoyed my time in New York, this hotel lived up to every bad stereotype of the city.

The only staff who were pleasant or helpful were the cleaners. The other staff seemed to assume that guests should be familiar with the hotel's procedures, and that international guests (such as myself) should be aware of how American hotels operate.

Staff were very unhelpful, even with simple enquiries. When I visited the front desk to ask about wifi, I was told that it was a different company, and instructions were in my room. When I asked the staff to direct me to a cafe for breakfast, I was told "there's lots of places around".

Most importantly, though, the staff didn't explain that the full cost of the stay plus $75 for 'incidentals' would be charged to my card when I checked in. The 'incidentals' cost was refunded 3 days after I checked out, by which time I was back in Australia. When I noticed these charges had been made, I went down to the desk just to check if this was normal procedure and that I wouldn't be charged twice. The woman at the desk treated me like I was stupid, saying that "all hotels did that". I've stayed in at least a hundred hotels around Europe, Asia and Australia, and I've never had a hotel do that. I understand if it's common practice in America, but there was no need for her to berate me in front of other customers.

The room was alright, although the shower ran hot and cold. The only problem was that my window adjoined the roof of the next building, which made me feel a bit unsafe at night.

Don't bother with the 'breakfast' at the Wolcott. The muffins are tiny, and the tea is tasteless. New York has great food - go out and find it, even if you don't get any help from the hotel staff in doing so.

The location is good, but I found the Wolcott so unpleasant that it really detracted from the overall experience.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank westgirl_australia
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

For a new york hotel on a reasonable(for New York) budget it is a great hotel, friendly & helpful reception, smallish rooms but adequate. very good maid service, clean towels every day. Didnt take advantage of the coffee and muffins provided in a morning as it was a bit too busy for me. very centrally situated on west 31st a couple of blocks from subways, also a couple of blocks from penn station. You can also book your return to jfk or newark from here $22 dollars each to jfk. Overall highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

A charming quiet hotel with friendly chatty staff. Not on a main street but easy to find and close to subways. Lovely decor and feels classy whilst not expensive. Loved the muffins for breakfast. Not great on facilities (no bar, restaurant etc) but not needed plenty close by.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
owensboro kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights the weekend before Thanksgiving. 3 of us shared a 2 room suite (single bed in 1 room + queen bed in 2nd room ) with a single bath.

It's not the Ritz!, but our room and bath were clean/ the towels were soft and fluffy and the breakfast of muffins/coffee/tea was decent. It's in a great location near Empire State and Macys, and the price of the 2 room suite can't be beat.

Our only problem was heat ... we were on 10th floor and had too much heat in our suite, so we turned on A/C in order to sleep comfortably.
Check-in and out was quick and easy ... no problems with parking and /or validating the parking ticket.

I'm giving it 3 star rating because it fits my description of "shabby/sheik" ... good value older hotel with character.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank justsaygo
The World
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

This hotel offers excellent value if you are looking for a good deal for a basic but clean hotel. We considered spending a lot more for a more upmarket hotel but decided for a city break it just wasn't worth it - we were hardly in the hotel room. This hotel is in an excellent location which made the rate even better value. The room was clean and spacious and very quiet. We did not experience any problems with the water in the shower as some other people had mentioned. The radiator does make a really strange spraying noise though! I had read that before we came and wondered how bad it would be. It turned out though that we were absolutely shattered every night and so just fell straight asleep so it didn't really cause a problem for us.

The coffee and muffins in the lobby were an appreciated extra. Great to start the day and then you can look for somewhere to grab something else to eat if it's not enough to get you going.

In the room there is a safe. Hairdryer also in bathroom. Great closet! If you check in before your room is ready or have bags to leave after check out there is a locker room where you can put your cases. The lockers are huge so fit our big cases in them. But if you need to use a few, no probelm they are only about a quarter or something like that per locker.

We would stay in this hotel if we go back to NY. The money you save staying here goes a long way to enjoying other things the city has to offer. After all why spend all your money on the best hotel when you then have nothing left over to enjoy your holiday?!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple