“Location location location”

Ranked #249 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Grantham, United Kingdom
“Location location location”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

In the words of a well known British TV show, location is everything when you are visiting the Big Apple! After quite a bit of research this was one of the few places I found that could provide me with a Triple room for me and my 2 teenage kids in the middle of Manhattan! A spacious room with 2 single beds in one part of the room and another on the other side of a dividing wall and an adequate ensuite bathroom. Just 2 blocks and a 3 minute walk from the Empire State Building which is visible from many of the bedrooms at the front of the Hotel! Problems dealt with quickly by hotel staff and a guy on the front desk even organised a copy of the Knicks game on dvd for my son to take home. Traffic a little noisy at night and early morning, and perhaps the decor a little dated but this is New York, the city that never sleeps, so..................what do you expect?? When you have been out and about all day, getting to sleep isn't a problem! The complimentary muffins and coffee, available in the foyer every morning, were nice too! Undoubtedly a good choice for that 4 or 5 day trip to NYC on a budget!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank David W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We arrived in New York on April 4th at the Wolcott and were greeted by Erik and Cathleen at the front desk. They were very helpful with recommendations for a place close by for dinner, which was helpful since we were very tired from traveling all day. We were also very pleased to find out we had a room facing the Empire State Building! They had muffins tea and coffee in the morning and the room attendant in the morning was extremely nice.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I did note njoy my stay at Wolcott hotel. I first was given rm. 1219 where I'm positive I received bedbites all over my upper body especially around the neck area. My grlfriend came into town the next day which meant i needed a bigger room because the bathroom was the size of a shoebox. We then changed to rm i believe was 919. that night i began to itch profusely around the neck area. My grlfriend looked and was startled by what she saw. Rashy red bumps everywhere. I proceeded to change all the pillows and sheets but was not yet sure wht the bumps so unfornately i didnt complain. We were in the room for a 3 day trip, but at he end my grlfriend was bedbug bite free. Thats when i knew i gt it frm rm 1219 where i stayed alone. Also I was given a rate online that I did not receive at checkout. I was charged almost $100 more. :(

Room Tip: The only tip I have is do not sleep in 1219!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Location is perfect, in the middle of everything. Rooms are big. If you can choose, do not take room from the street side. Back side is much more silent. There is not free wifi which was disappointment.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mardo1234
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My friend and I are women in our early 60's who traveled to NYC to see B'way shows and to visit friends. We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our stay at The Wolcott April 2-4, 2013. From the initial phone contact with Cathleen R. (Reservation Agent) we were impressed with the efficiency and the will to please that we encountered in every staff member. We were able to see Cathleen when we arrived, and she remembered my name each time we saw her. The opulent lobby was most impressive. Our room was the cleanest ever, beds were comfortable, towels thick and sheets comfy. There was not a speck of dust or dirt to be found. We were in room 618 facing the ESB, and did not find it noisy. The muffins and coffee/tea in the morning were a great bonus. The other guests in the lobby were friendly and also seemed to be enjoying the accommodations. I had the pleasure to meet the manager, Paul McKenzie, who was interested in making our stay pleasant! The proximity to Penn Station was perfect for us. The Wolcott will be our choice for future visits to NYC! Thanks to all!

Room Tip: Room 618 faced W 31st and had a view of the ESB. No problem with noise
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
valencia
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I'll be honest, i chose the Wolcott because we got an awesome deal for 2 nights.
Check in went as it should go on any hotel, after my really cheap days were over I headed to the front desk to try my luck and see if i could extend my stay for a couple more days with the same or similar rate.
The look on the guy when i asked him was as if i had just told them i raped a goat in the room. front desk guys looked at each other and starting giving me a lecture on how I have a cheap rate and that is impossible to get that rate ever again, specially for the room I had. COME ON! I had a room with radiators, a TV the size of the bed and noisy plumbing, I'm sure Hollywood directors die to shoot at this hotel their 70's movies here. Speaking of the last century, management should join the 21st century by offering free WiFi,

Overall for the money I paid this was an excellent hotel, they should have costumes on the lobby. maybe some gangster looking hats that would make for good pictures.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank islatur1
Reviewed 30 March 2013

This hotel is in a great location, used as a base and a place to sleep its ideal, lack of restaurant is not important as there is so many places to eat close to the hotel, also the complimentary muffins and coffee in the morning set you up for the day, but just be warned if you get room 303 the radiator if not fixed makes a lot of noise, we did mention at the reception about this but nothing was done, this is our only gripe. We would recommend this hotel and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Not 303 just I case the radiator still has not been fixed.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple