“Enjoyed my Stay. Great Location!”
Review of Excelsior Hotel

Excelsior Hotel
Ranked #252 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Dillsboro, North Carolina
“Enjoyed my Stay. Great Location!”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights August 10 - 15, 2013. Great room, friendly and helpful staff, great view of Manhattan from my room. The hotel is located across the street from Roosevelt Park and the Natural History Museum and 3/4 of a block from Central Park. There is a subway station on the corner...very convenient. Lots of great cafes and restaurants in the area, and this central location makes it easy to get to all parts of Manhattan easily.

JUST A NOTE:
Two things were a bit inconvenient:

1) No coffee maker in the room;
2) No free Wi-Fi.

I was in NY for a conference and had to be on the subway by 7:15 each morning. Breakfast was not served until 7:00 making it impossible for me to get coffee and make it to the subway on time. A coffee maker would have been nice thing to have. Wi-Fi is now offered in most hotels as an amenity free of charge, but not at the Excelsior. I did go to the 2nd floor library to access the signal for free, but to have had it in the room would have been more convenient and I was not going to pay $10 a day for the service.

I do plan a trip back to NYC, and I will be staying at the Excelsior.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Patron42030

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Greek first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights in July 2013. Excellent location, near Central Park and the Museum of Natural History (well worth going to). Subway close by and also bus on Columbus Avenue takes you downtown. Great view from the room (16th floor). Didn't have breakfast there but Starbucks is only around the corner. The AC unit was noisy but necessary in the heat. Helpful concierge arranged a day trip to Boston for me. All the tourist sights in New York are either walking distance or cheap subway from this hotel. Easy to get to Yankee Stadium on the subway and a ticket at the top of the grandstand only cost $22US. Would definitely stay at the Excelsior again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Our recent stay at the Excelsior was our 2nd one at this hotel, and we were not disappointed. Our previous stay was in October, 2011, and we were upgraded to a lovely, spacious suite for no additional charge. This trip, however, was at the peak of tourist season and no such upgrade was available. We were given a much smaller room with a poor view, but it was extremely comfortable. Interestingly, the bathroom was the same size and quality as the suite's. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet, though not expansive, was well-prepared and sufficient. (They used real dishes, not paper plates this time. I wonder whether on our previous visit they had been catering to Kosher requests.) The hotel is very near the Museum of Natural History, Central Park, and many very good restaurants and bars. Yes, we will definitely stay at the Excelsior on our next NYC trip.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Lollydod
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

On arrival we were met by a very unwelcoming and quite surly reception, after checking in, our bags were taken to our room by a reasonably friendly chap. That was the only friendly reception we received, during our stay.

On arriving at the room, to my surprise, there was no fridge, no coffee making facilities, no iron, no trouser press, none of the usual things which you would expect from a hotel!

At 8pm I asked if I could get a coffee for myself and my wife, I was told that "breakfast starts at 7am, other than that, try Starbucks around the corner" REALLY!

Not what you would expect from a hotel in New York, my advise would be to stay somewhere else. BE WARNED!

Ps. The sinks do not drain.

7 Thank Nick G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights my husband and I and our infant son. It's a nice hotel we got upgraded to a suite which was great because with the baby cot in the room we needed the extra space. It is in a good location with easy access to Central Park and the subway. Which was useful fir the occasional trip but with the stroller and the subway having only stair access we mostly walked everywhere. My only coming wild be it didn't have a kettle which seems minor but when you have a milk consuming baby hot water is a must. They had no kettle to lend us but we had access to the kitchen which was the floor below so was only a minor bugbear. All in all a good family hotel in a great location.

Alabama
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel's location is great--especially for families. It's a short walk to the Natural History Museum & Central Park. It's possible to get a suite, though beware--the suite may not have enough beds for your family. We got 2 single beds and some sheets for our kids to sleep on the floor. Steer clear of breakfast--cold eggs and less than fresh fruit. Yuk.

3 Thank ALspicemom
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Spent 6 days at this hotel great location right opposite Central Park. Rooms kept clean, staff friendly and very helpful. .lots of little cafés,restaurant's just around the corner. Would stay at this hotel next time I go to NY.....Just one thing if you want to go to the twin tower memorial you will need to go on line and book a time....I didn't know this and left it to the last day I was there and ran out of time and couldn't get up close.......I still went to the site and I still had a tear.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo