I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights August 10 - 15, 2013. Great room, friendly and helpful staff, great view of Manhattan from my room. The hotel is located across the street from Roosevelt Park and the Natural History Museum and 3/4 of a block from Central Park. There is a subway station on the corner...very convenient. Lots of great cafes and restaurants in the area, and this central location makes it easy to get to all parts of Manhattan easily.
JUST A NOTE:
Two things were a bit inconvenient:
1) No coffee maker in the room;
2) No free Wi-Fi.
I was in NY for a conference and had to be on the subway by 7:15 each morning. Breakfast was not served until 7:00 making it impossible for me to get coffee and make it to the subway on time. A coffee maker would have been nice thing to have. Wi-Fi is now offered in most hotels as an amenity free of charge, but not at the Excelsior. I did go to the 2nd floor library to access the signal for free, but to have had it in the room would have been more convenient and I was not going to pay $10 a day for the service.
I do plan a trip back to NYC, and I will be staying at the Excelsior.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Excelsior Upper West Side NYC Hotel Located in the fashionable Upper West Side neighborhood between Central Park and Columbus Avenue, the Excelsior Hotel is a beautifully renovated hotel with an abundance of old world charm and comfort. This landmark hotel is characteristic of Manhattan's architectural beauty among the dramatic Central Park setting; thoroughly complimented by modern conveniences and luxuries. The Excelsior Hotel is located in one of New York City's trendiest neighborhoods, overlooking the American Museum of Natural History and the Rose Center for Earth and Space. Popular attractions such as Lincoln Center, the Beacon Theatre, and Columbia University are within walking distance to the Excelsior. A leisurely stroll across Central Park to the Upper East Side leads to the luxurious boutiques of Madison Avenue, an endless selection of restaurants, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Guggenheim and Whitney Museums. If your plans include an evening at the theatre or site seeing among the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, famous attractions such as Times Square, the Empire State Building, and Rockefeller Center are a quick ride from the Excelsior Hotel by New York Taxi, Subway, or bus. Manhattan's Excelsior Hotel features an elegantly and comfortably appointed Lobby; inviting guests to feel at home upon their arrival. Its New York City hotel room accommodations are inspired with an Art Deco contemporary motif with countless amenities and services to make a stay at the Excelsior Hotel an experience for guests desiring more than a typical New York "tourist" hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Excelsior Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excelsior New York City
- Excelsior Hotel New York City