“Good Location”

Ranked #253 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good Location”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Stayed here in January with 3 others for 5 nights. Staff were helpful on arrival, allowing two of us to check in as we arrived before the rest of the party, even although the booking was in someone else's name.

When we went to the room we were allocated the beds had not been made up so we had to go back to reception and explain this. They then sent us to another room but the keys didn't work! Third time lucky, we eventually got into the room which had two queen beds - it was big but still a bit of a squeeze with 4 of us staying there. The bathroom was quite small and old fashioned in comparison to the rest of the hotel and the room itself but still clean and everything worked fine.

The breakfast (additional $17 per person) was well worth it, although I'm sure cheaper options could be found elsewhere there was a very good selection and it was handy for us just to nip down in the morning. I also used the gym which was well equipped too.

My only complaints would be the cost of the wifi. Nowadays hotels really shouldn't be charging for wifi access in rooms. It was $9.95 for 24 hours but this only covered ONE device!! There is free wifi in reception and on level 2 of the hotel. We also asked for extra towels and glasses as there were 4 of us in our room (the room was only kitted out for 2), to be told they couldn't guarantee extra glasses - why not?!

Despite this it was a good stay - perfect location too and would return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank framec13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Greek first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I recently spent a week at the Excelsior in NY. The room was very comfortable with a very comfortable bed and an excellent TV. The bathrooms are not very nice and are quite old, and the service is average. The location is amazing (on the northern side of the Natural History Museum on the upper west side, and right next a couple of subway lines). The price is quite expensive, but I guess that this has something to do with the location. Overall, I would go back, since the location means a lot for me, and I was very comfortable in the room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank AnonTraveller912
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Front desk is rude and unhelpful. Other staff, concierge much nicer. Lobby is dark, cramped and unwelcoming. Elevators are slow. Lots of hallway noise. Bathroom is a closet. Rooms are clean, but furnishings are old and outdated. Bed and pillows are not comfortable. Feel cheap. Overpriced and overrated.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Berthe5
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Arrived from the UK late 2nd Jan along with the snow. Foyer small but pleasant no problems with check in. Room very small and dated freezing cold no heating turned on when we arrived put the very ancient heater on and it eventually warmed the room,but oh the noise it made even after a long flight we had to turn it off to sleep. Bathroom pretty but no heating at all couldn't even stay in there to dry my hair. Don't know why a telephone was needed in the bathroom as the room was so small I could reach the room phone from the bathroom door!
The room was at the back of the hotel so nothing to look at out of the window just the backs of lots of buildings but you don't go to NY to stay in the room. Three different types of bottled water available in the room would have preferred tea and coffee facilities. Probably wouldn't stay there again unless it had a great offer on and not in the winter

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank rhian106
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I am a travel agent for one of the largest travel companies in the world, who was assisting my client in cancelling his stay at this hotel due to a flight cancellation. There was a winter storm which cancelled thousands of flights for an entire week, and there was no way for my client to get to New York. I contacted this hotel and the woman who answered was very unfriendly. She told me I need to speak to a manager whom she would get on the line, but she only transferred me to voicemail for the general manager. After 24 hours I still had not heard from him. So I called again.

This time I was transferred to the reservations manager, who was even more rude than the first person I had spoken with at the front desk. She would not even tell me her name. In fact, none of the employees stated their name when they answered the phone, which tells you a lot about their customer service. They do not even want you to know their names. When I explained the situation to the reservations manager, her response was, "What winter storm are you talking about?" As if she isn't in New York where almost EVERY flight had been cancelled for 5 days due to snow and ice! When I advised that the storm cancelled thousands of flights, she responded with "but that was only earlier in the week". I told her the weather was bad earlier in the week, but the flights were affected for the entire week due to a backlog of stranded travelers. She only replied with "Well, I know nothing about that."

Even after I explained it to her, she was unwilling to believe me and unwilling to help my client. She kept questioning what flight my client was on and advising that she didn't have a lot of cancellations so what I was saying cannot be true. She advised he will be charged for his reservation and there is nothing she will do to help. I have NEVER come across a manager so rude and unwilling to assist in my 14 years as a travel agent. And I will never recommend this hotel to any of my clients. Hotels are 99% percent of the time willing to help when the situation is something the client has no control over, such as weather. Horrible customer service!!!!! Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
22 Thank TravelAgent142014
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed for 3 nights before Christmas 2013. Our room was OK, but the furnishings were a bit tired. The heating in the room was something else, it worked but at a cost....when it started up it was like a jet engine. No trouble during waking hours, not welcome when you are sleeping. The breakfast in the hotel was at best OK. The hotel is situated near Central Park and the National History Museum and was very quiet (except for the heating).

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda P
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel on very cold and snowy weekend. Front desk staff was very nice and we appreciated being able to get into our room before 3 pm. When we got to the room the heat was totally off and the room was very freezing and it took some time to warm up. Other then that little issue we love this place, having stayed here three or four times. This was the smallest room we have been in but we where not in the room much so that was fine. One other thing you should know is that there is no heat in the bathrooms and the window in that room all seem to be old and let in a lot of cold air, however the bathroom is very pretty with white tiles with a garland tile of pink, blue, green flowers, very French on design.
Location is great, lots of places to eats near by, nice lobby and there is a doorman to help you get a cab on those cold, snowy days.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family