Excelsior Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Lucerne Hotel(New York City)
Great 4.5/5
  • Restaurant
The Amsterdam Inn(New York City)
Average 3/5
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)
  • Fitness centre
Belnord Hotel(New York City)
Good 3.5/5
Hotel Beacon(New York City)
Great 4.5/5
  • Bar/Lounge
The Milburn Hotel(New York City)
  • Fitness centre
Riverside Tower Hotel(New York City)
Average 3/5
Hotel Olcott(New York City)
  • Room Service
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
2,180 results
All reviewsthe natural history museumupper west sidecentral parkcalle ochocolumbus avenuegreat locationnew yorksubway stationsitting roomupgraded to a suitearound the cornerbreakfast roomtwo double bedslincoln centercoffee makertimes squarebagels
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 July 2014

After checking out a lot of places to stay before arriving to NYC, I found this hotel here at TA, so I choose it as my hotel and I could not be happier! Located in a very fancy area, the hotel is near the AMNH and it has the 81st B C subway station just half a block away, just exit the hotel and walk straight to your left and there it is!! About the room, I found it very clean and nice, the bed was great and comfortable! The pillows seemed uncomfortable, they weren't, I slept as a baby here! Yes, it may be because I was tired as hell too, but seriously, comfortable bed. The bathroom was also very clean and compared to the hotels I stayed in Europe, it was big, the bath tub was cozy and perfect for a nice relax time! Water,pressure great too! As for the services, the cleaning staff were so great. The hotel serves full buffet breakfast for an additional 17 bucks, I found it not that tasty as I tought it would be for that price, since you can have a nicer breakfast at some European cafe shop or Starbucks or stuff, but if you are in a hurry or you do not want to waste time looking for a place to have something to eat, it will be just ok to have it here. The reason I do not give this hotel a 5 star grade is because I think they could get better at some points, for instance, I found that the reception staff could smile more, you know, a little smile doesn't hurt, but maybe it is NYC standard, and I am not saying that they were rude or something, not at all, they were very helpful when I needed directions and in check in/out, but they do not seem to be enjoying working there and that reflects onto guests. Also one thing they should really consider is to have complementary wi-fi all over the place not only lobby and second floor, the reason I think this way is because internet is such a basic service this days, for me not to have free wifi at my room is like not having a bathroom or a bed or something like that, yet I found that this is also a NYC standard for most hotels, but they should consider making wifi available for all guests even if they include it in the room rates before so when you book a room you have already payed for the service and you can use it, that way the lobby or the second floor will not be as crowded as it was and you can just share all your photos or have that skype call in your room! Other than that I think this is the place for me to stay whenever I go to NYC!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, the area is safe and quiet but I think asking for a quiet room will improve the chances that you get a nice rest like I did!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Nueve_Venado
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We started staying at the Excelsior in the '90's to visit relatives and friends on the Upper West Side. It was alway consistently good service and accommodations. Stalwart standards. We have stayed elsewhere more recently to be downtown, but now times have come full circle. Family and friends have migrated back to the Upper West Side again.

The Excelsior, though always good, had gotten dated, so we were reluctant to try it at first. We went for a trendier new hotel a few blocks west. Much to our dismay. In a pinch we needed to switch this past Saturday and got a last minute suite at the Excelsior and were given access in the late morning. We needed that. The suite was updated with original bathroom. View not great. But, a quiet respite with no pets allowed, no cloying cleaning sprays, and a great night's sleep.

The lobby has changed with a more raucous crowd at Calle Ocho restaurant. But, the location is great and it's been a constant friend. Glad we discovered it again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank tablesedge
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Small dated room, nice view. You have to park your car in the underground parking garage across the street at the Natural History Museum and hike a short way thru the park and down the street to the hotel if you aren't cabbing it. A very small unremarkable lobby. Only a sofa and a couple of chairs. For rooms... You have a choice of 2 single beds or one queen. The room is approx. 13' x 13'. Window A/C unit. Carpet needs cleaning. Roll down blackout shade w/ curtains. Small dated bathroom. Bed is firm. Pillows thick and foamy. It does have a beautiful view though! For $214 / nt....not bad.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Jamie M
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My family and I have been to several hotels, and this one was bi-far the worst one yet. 1st off it does not offer free wi-fi in rooms, coffee maker or a frig. A big negative for a family. Their was also trouble with the plumbing in the tub in which in did not drain, and not to mention we were woken up every day by hammering right outside our window. Of course they failed to mention there was work being done on the hotel and were notified of that by a letter in our room. Let's get to the worst part of the stay, my 250.00 designer glasses were stolen from our room.(the only thing I didn't put in safe or lock in my suitcase.)That was also the only day housekeeping and maintenance came into our room. It wasn't until the next evening I noticed they we're gone and we searched the hotel that night. I knew I left them on the TV stand, but I second guessed myself so we looked thru everything over and over again. My husband and I finally said we should contact the manager because they were no where to be found. That next morning we went to speak to the front desk and the gentlemen said he would let a manager know and have them contact us. After going out for the day, we got back to the hotel late that night and my husband went to the front desk again to ask why he hadn't received a call from a manager yet. Apparently the gentleman at the front desk never put in a complaint for us! WOW! So again we asked to speak with the manager again and the front desk said their was not a manager there on the weekends and we could leave them a message. That next morning the housekeeping supervisor notified us and was just plain rude. 1st she said we never received services during our stay, and of course after arguing with her she looked back on her records and then states" oh yes we did clean your room that day." To make things even more clear for us that the glasses were on the TV stand, the supervisor got off the phone with us and spoke to the woman that cleaned the room that day and she stated to the supervisor that the glasses were on the TV stand when she left the room. All the housekeeping supervisor could say is that she could send someone to helps us look a little better. Are you kidding me!!! So between housekeeping and maintenance visiting our room the glasses disappeared! It's been 4 days sense our complaint and still no call from a manager, just to say sorry. We understand the glasses are gone and will not get reimbursed for them, it simply the matter of acknowledging our compliant by a manager, so we can be reassured that this won't happen to someone else....the only thing positive about the hotel was it's convenience to all our sites. We felt is was a safe area. The bellmen were the nicest in the entire hotel! The other staff should take lessons from them.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Layla C
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Location - on edge of Central Park and 2 minutes from subway station.
Décor - was very clean and well maintained.
Staff - very helpful and friendly
Food - only had breakfast each morning but it was typical stuff and perfectly adequate.
Price - I got an excellent price booking early. In room wifi was not free (but was not too expensive and was vey good, fast connection when bought)

We stayed for 4 nights and would certainly look to book here again for any return visits we may make to the city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple