“Uncaring desk staff”
Review of Excelsior Hotel

Excelsior Hotel
Ranked #252 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 July 2005

I have stayed at the Excelsior before, with no problems, but this time my niece and I arrived to be told that there were no non-smoking rooms to be had. Having made reservations 6 weeks previously, I felt that my request should have been honored, and said so, but the desk staff looked at me blankly and told me that these things could not be guaranteed. I asked them to call the manager, but she was not in. When I went to see the room, I was told that the carpeting had just been replaced, so the odor was lessened, but we found that actually, after one day, the odor had increased. And the window airconditioner was extremely noisy and way less than adequate.
I felt as though we were invisible, and will think long and hard before I go back to the Excelsior.

• Stayed: July 2005
7  Thank emmajane7
Write a ReviewReviews (2,135)

Reviewed 18 June 2005

If you'd like to be just a stone's throw from Central Park, try the Excelsior.
The price is below average for NYC and the hotel is above average, so it is certainly worth a stay. Rooms are large and attractive, with small but tiled & clean bathrooms. Walk to the Fairway for a real New Yorkers breakfast hidden on second floor. Stroll through Central Park. The Museum of Natural History is across the street and a lovely little NYC Historical Society is just 2 blocks away. The upper west side is true NYC, with row houses , people walking their dogs [all with baggies, of course], nannies with little ones, and a Starbucks on every corner!

9  Thank EmEs
Reviewed 9 June 2005

We've stayed at the Excelsior three times. We love the Upper West Side, and this hotel is well priced for the area. The rooms are clean and comfortable--more room than other hotels at this rate. The only downside is the utter rudeness of staff (except the doorman, who is always great). I've written to the hotel's general manager about our concerns, but never received a reply.

But, if you don't mind your stay with a heavy dose of snootiness (and I don't generally find New Yorkers rude), the Excelsior is a good bet.

• Stayed: October 2004
7  Thank MaineIzzy
Reviewed 1 June 2005

We stayed at the The Excelsior over New Year's, and all in all I found it to be good choice. (In truth we ended up at the Excelsior because I made my plans late in the game, and the only NY hotels not booked at this busy time were in the mega-expensive category.) The wood pannelled hotel lobby was very attractive, with a classic New York feel. The room was on the small side, as you generally find in older hotels, but perfectly adequate and immaculate. The view, looking over the Museum of Natural history (with a small slice of Central Park to the side) was lovely. As this section of the Upper West Side is nearly all brownstones you can see for a quite a distance towards midtown. I am puzzled by reviews citing an uncooperative or unfriendly staff. When I made the reservation and requested a high floor in the front I was politely told that they could not make any guarantees. But at check-in they had my request in the computer and were happy to able to comply. Best of all, I think that The Excelsior is located in a much more interesting neighborhood then midtown, where most hotels are clustered. There's a diverse assortment of restaurants, bars, and smaller shops, Central Park's a block away, and it's primarily a residential neighborhood, so you are not surrounded by other tourists - or in an area that's full of businessmen by day but largely deserted at night. And why would people complain about the high-priced hotel breakfast when there are half a dozen good breakfast places within a couple of blocks?

7  Thank mbennett
Reviewed 1 June 2005

Fantastic Location! Clean rooms, beautiful decor, and friendly staff. This hotel was so reasonably priced, we thought it might be sub-par. On the contrary, it was fantastic! Right near the Natural History Museum and Central park Try the Columbus Street bakery, down the street and to the right for breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2004
8  Thank adembik
Reviewed 28 May 2005

Wow, was I pleased with this hotel. We were hard pressed to find something in New York under $300 a night because many colleges had their graduations the same weekend we were staying. We got our room for $239 a night (queen bed) and were very happy to get that rate. [As a comparison, the less than stellar Hotel Penn was going for $199.]

The room was very clean and nicely furnished. It was small by national standards, but average sized for New York. The equipment in the gym was kept up and the continental breakfast was nice, if a little pricey ($14.50 per person).

It's the other end of the block from a subway stop and Central Park. Good eating (and shopping) are to be found on Columbus Avenue (a 30 second walk from the hotel) and Amsterdam Avenue (the next block over) and Broadway (the next block after Amsterdam). The natural history museum is across the street, which our room overlooked.

Drawbacks? If you need two beds, this is not the hotel for you. If you are in town for business and need to be at Wall Street or Midtown, this is not a good location for you. And the air conditioning seems to be all or nothing. There is no room service, but all the area restaurants deliver. (This is New York--even McDonald's delivers.)

I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2005
6  Thank SweetieFreya
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 May 2005

As a former New Yorker, I cant say I expected much when I got a "cheapie"rate at the Excelsior hotel. The hotel is charming. It is in a great, QUIET location near fabulous restaurants. The rooms are not huge, but VERY clean, and well maintained. It is true, the water pressure is not so great, but at least it is hot! (unlike my other hotel before this) the staff is very helpful, and I even took a bath in the tub, it was so clean! I will certainly stay there when I return to the city.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member