“Enjoyable Stay”

Ranked #251 of 468 Hotels in New York City
A TripAdvisor Member
“Enjoyable Stay”
Reviewed 4 August 2005

I stayed at the Excelsior from July 30-Aug.3. I have been in NYC a number of times, but have stayed at luxury hotels. I wanted to stay on the Upper West Side with a less expensive rate. Since I know the city I knew I would not have much contact with the desk staff. I got the American Museum package through the hotel's online site ($180 a night, includes a free buffet breakfast and admission to the Americam Museum of Natural History with a space show). The museum is fantastic, I highly recommend taking a free highlights tour first. The buffet was not much, I'm glad it was free for me. My room was very nice and clean. I was on the sixth floor. I could hear the traffic, but it didn't bother me. Air conditioning worked well. On my last two nights there were a group of younger adults who did wake me. The walls are not very soundproof. As for the desk staff they were polite, but not friendly. I had to remind them that I had the museum package. I would definitely recommend this hotel, especially to people who already know the city.

• Stayed August 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Greek first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 30 July 2005

We stayed in the Excelsior Hotel in New York from July 20-22, 2005. This was our first time staying at the Excelsior--we will definitely stay there in the future. We paid $175 per night plus tax (came to a little over $200 per night with everything) for two people (queen bed)--booked the room through Orbitz. We felt like this was a reasonable price for the quality of the room (in New York). We were very pleased with the condition of the room (especially the bathroom)--extraordinarily clean!, and the decor was very pleasant as well. The room was not especially large but was not cramped or uncomfortably small--the hotel rooms I have had in New York over the years tend to be on the smaller side, so I have come to expect this. The weather was extremely hot when we were in NY, and thank goodness, the AC in the room worked very well. The bed was quite comfortable. I was concerned about how the staff would be at the hotel after reading other reviews here, but they were basically fine--not especially friendly, but they were certainly professional--we had no problems with them or with our room. The breakfast options at the hotel were expensive, so we ate breakfast at the Manhattan Diner over on Broadway (on 76th, I think)--it is excellent and very reasonably priced. There are many very good and reasonable restaurants within just a few blocks of the hotel, another added bonus. Wireless internet access in the hotel is available for a fee (we paid $25 for three days of access, which seemed okay)--it worked perfectly. The location (West 81st Street near Columbus Avenue) is very convenient to Upper West Side attractions, including the Museum of Natural History (across the street from the hotel), and also Central Park, which is also right there. We were not bothered by traffic (or other) noise in our room. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed staying at the Excelsior, and we highly recommend it!

9 Thank Anonymousatlanta09
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed 25 July 2005

I have stayed at the Excelsior before, with no problems, but this time my niece and I arrived to be told that there were no non-smoking rooms to be had. Having made reservations 6 weeks previously, I felt that my request should have been honored, and said so, but the desk staff looked at me blankly and told me that these things could not be guaranteed. I asked them to call the manager, but she was not in. When I went to see the room, I was told that the carpeting had just been replaced, so the odor was lessened, but we found that actually, after one day, the odor had increased. And the window airconditioner was extremely noisy and way less than adequate.
I felt as though we were invisible, and will think long and hard before I go back to the Excelsior.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank emmajane7
orlando
Reviewed 18 June 2005

If you'd like to be just a stone's throw from Central Park, try the Excelsior.
The price is below average for NYC and the hotel is above average, so it is certainly worth a stay. Rooms are large and attractive, with small but tiled & clean bathrooms. Walk to the Fairway for a real New Yorkers breakfast hidden on second floor. Stroll through Central Park. The Museum of Natural History is across the street and a lovely little NYC Historical Society is just 2 blocks away. The upper west side is true NYC, with row houses , people walking their dogs [all with baggies, of course], nannies with little ones, and a Starbucks on every corner!

9 Thank EmEs
Freeport, Maine
Reviewed 9 June 2005

We've stayed at the Excelsior three times. We love the Upper West Side, and this hotel is well priced for the area. The rooms are clean and comfortable--more room than other hotels at this rate. The only downside is the utter rudeness of staff (except the doorman, who is always great). I've written to the hotel's general manager about our concerns, but never received a reply.

But, if you don't mind your stay with a heavy dose of snootiness (and I don't generally find New Yorkers rude), the Excelsior is a good bet.

• Stayed October 2004
7 Thank MaineIzzy
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 June 2005

We stayed at the The Excelsior over New Year's, and all in all I found it to be good choice. (In truth we ended up at the Excelsior because I made my plans late in the game, and the only NY hotels not booked at this busy time were in the mega-expensive category.) The wood pannelled hotel lobby was very attractive, with a classic New York feel. The room was on the small side, as you generally find in older hotels, but perfectly adequate and immaculate. The view, looking over the Museum of Natural history (with a small slice of Central Park to the side) was lovely. As this section of the Upper West Side is nearly all brownstones you can see for a quite a distance towards midtown. I am puzzled by reviews citing an uncooperative or unfriendly staff. When I made the reservation and requested a high floor in the front I was politely told that they could not make any guarantees. But at check-in they had my request in the computer and were happy to able to comply. Best of all, I think that The Excelsior is located in a much more interesting neighborhood then midtown, where most hotels are clustered. There's a diverse assortment of restaurants, bars, and smaller shops, Central Park's a block away, and it's primarily a residential neighborhood, so you are not surrounded by other tourists - or in an area that's full of businessmen by day but largely deserted at night. And why would people complain about the high-priced hotel breakfast when there are half a dozen good breakfast places within a couple of blocks?

7 Thank mbennett
Portland, OR
Reviewed 1 June 2005

Fantastic Location! Clean rooms, beautiful decor, and friendly staff. This hotel was so reasonably priced, we thought it might be sub-par. On the contrary, it was fantastic! Right near the Natural History Museum and Central park Try the Columbus Street bakery, down the street and to the right for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2004