“Kimberley apartment” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #85 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Kimberley apartment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

Good size room but asked for two beds apartment and on arrival only had one bed in bedroom plus large sofabed. Supplied rollaway free of charge. Kitchenette adequate - fridge (take all expensive items supplied out and fill it with your own!), coffee machine, microwave, toaster. Had to request kettle. Don't be tempted to have a drink in the Penthouse roof garden ($30 for 2 glasses of wine!) Take good shoes as public transport in NY terrible and everyone walks everywhere.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Myfairlady79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

The suites are large, airy and clean. Small kitchen but quite adequate for our needs. Plenty of grocery stores to stock up on essentials. Friendly staff and the hotel is well located. All in all, a very good hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank john71
US
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Kimberly for a week in June 2012. Our spacious suite (room 22E) provided comfortable and quiet lodging in a convenient mid-town east location.

> Huge living/dining area included a kitchenette with microwave.
> Bathroom was quite large with two sinks;
> Bedroom was big enough for king bed with 3 or 4 feet on each side.
> Good-size closet in the BR and also a coat closet by the entry.
> Long narrow balcony had a small table and chairs.

Our room was very quiet. We heard nothing from other rooms or from the hallway. We didn't notice outside noise unless we opened the door to the balcony.

The king size bed was firm and very comfortable with plenty of pillows and a fresh duvet cover; there was also a top sheet (unlike some European hotels that provide only the duvet). An extra blanket was also provided.

The furniture in the LR/DR was decent and usable - chairs were comfortable. There was a TV in the LR and another in the BR.

Air-conditioning worked well and kept the humidity low. (We had very hot weather during our stay.)

Bell staff and concierge were courteous and very helpful. Elevators were very fast.

The hotel doesn't have a full restaurant. The do serve breakfast in the penthouse, but we never tried it.

Convenient east mid-town location. Only 1 block to line 6 subway.

There were a few things that could have been better in the bathroom: There was no exhaust fan, so the mirror steamed up - but it cleared very quickly when the bathroom door was opened. There were not enough places to hang towels in the bathroom. With two people using the bathroom, it would have been nice to have another towel bar. (There were hooks for robes on the back of the bathroom door. There was a fair amount of counter space, but it would have been nice to have another shelf to put things on - there certainly was room for one.

The wifi in the room was very slow - usually not faster the 3G cellular service on my phone. Late in the evenings it was faster.

This is not an ultra-luxury hotel, but it is very nice, and we thought it was a very good value.

Room Tip: Our room was on a high floor (22) and very quiet. We could see the top of the Chrysler building fro...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank enchanted7
nyc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I stayed in a one-bedroom suite at the Kimberly for a month and wanted to give you pros and cons of this hotel.

Pros:
-Spacious rooms for Manhattan
-Very comfortable bed
-Some nice pieces of furniture
-Helpful porters/doormen
-Relatively cheap room service
-Good housekeeping. I didn't need to ask toiletries. Always fresh towels stocked up.
-Conveniently located in Midtown East

Cons:
-Extremely slow elevators
-Very spotty or NO Internet connection!! You can forget about wifi, and even if you use an Ethernet cable, the speed is unbelievably slow. Slower than dial-up. I experienced slowness throughout my stay, so the hotel clearly isn't doing anything to solve this issue. So if you need to work in your room, be warned. Stay elsewhere and be productive.
-They won't let food deliveries go upstairs. Guests must go downstairs to pick it up.
-They also won't bring up packages (maybe it was because 11pm?). However, they occasionally left my packages in the room while I was away. So this is very arbitrary.
-Water pressure of the shower is rather weak
-Rooms are too dark
-No channel guide or menu for TV program
-Dry cleaning service is obscenely priced. So many of us actually had local dry cleaners come and pick up our laundry.
-There are only two public computers in the lobby

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank unbiasedadvisor
boston, ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

The Kimberly Hotel is one of the most fabulous places I have ever stayed! I travel quite frequently and from the moment I walked in the door I was welcomed back by several of the doormen....Kevin, Jose, and Ralphie! I hadn't been there in 6 months but yet they all remembered me and even asked how my parents were doing! The front desk staff were so friendly and my check in was so fast! I cannot even begin to describe how amazing the rooms were. I was in a room with the most amazing bathroom---jacuzzi tub, rain shower, and a wall shower too! After a long day of running around NYC for work, coming back to relax and shower was just absolutely perfect. Everything was very clean and the staff as a whole were always helpful, polite, and smiling!

The Kimberly Hotel is a fantastic place to stay whether for business or with your family....I recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank anirishgirlinboston
Brookville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

My daughter was married in Central Park this past Saturday. We chose the Upstairs at The Kimberly Hotel for a small (15-20 people) cocktail/dinner reception. Not only is the view incredible, but the service was impeccable!! The food was delicious, in taste and presentation. This venue was everything we hoped and at a reasonable price. The Concierge at the Hotel, Peter, was most helpful with planning our transportation to and from events. The Hotel is also a delightful place to stay. ALL the staff is eager to accommodate your every desire. The Hotel is clean and spacious and close to subway stations and delightful walks in the City. We also enjoyed the yacht excursion that is offered thru the Hotel. We have been to NYC many times and have stayed many wonderful places. This experience ranks #1 with us.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 1971Suzy1973
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

The Kimberly Hotel… WOW, what an experience. This was my first time to ever visit NYC (other than changing planes) and having visited Asia, Europe and Africa I thought it was high time I paid a visit to the Big Apple. I thought the hotel location was great, easy walking distance to Rockefeller Center, Central Park and Times Square. The doormen always greeted me with a smile and a kind hello. The lobby at The Kimberly Hotel is quite small, but it didn’t bother me since I wasn’t sleeping in the lobby. The Concierge Peter was most friendly and helpful and full of advise for a first time visitor. My accommodation were amazing, I stayed in a One Bedroom Suite. My suite was spacious & clean. The separate bedroom was also very nice, with the king sized bed and the more than ample closet space. Which brings me to that piece of heaven they called a bed…. I didn’t want to get out of bed in the mornings, it was very very comfy and the linens were to die for. My hotel package included a breakfast each morning. The breakfast was served Upstairs at the Kimberly (what a way to say “hello NYC”), the food was quite tasty and the service was prompt. I also visited the Upstairs at The Kimberly in the evening for cocktails, the food and drinks were awesome and it was the perfect location to watch the sun set over New York. Will I go back to the Kimberly…. YES. Will I recommend the Kimberly to my friends… YES!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple