“Wonderful !”

Ranked #50 of 468 Hotels in New York City
chicago
“Wonderful !”
Reviewed 5 March 2008

My daughter is currently contemplating colleges. In a misguided attempt to dissuade her from going far away in scary (to a mom) New York, I took her for a long weekend to the Big Apple. The Kimberly Hotel was in a great location, the staff could not be more helpful and the rooms were large enough to accommodate a crabby teenager and mother without any fuss. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to avoid the giant impersonal hotels, as you will have all the amenities and none of the hassle. Awesome Experience!

Stayed February 2008
ccohen387, Guest Services Manager at The Kimberly Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2008
Dear Kimberly Guest,

Thank you for reviewing The Kimberly Hotel. I am pleased you and your daughter had an enjoyable stay with us. Our aim and goal is to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations, so the entire staff appreciates your feedback. We hope to see you again soon.
Best personal regards,

Mujo Perezic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Polish first
North Bucks
Reviewed 11 February 2008

We stayed in the Kimberly in November 2006, for a family get together over Thanksgiving. We chose the hotel on location and the apparent quality of the rooms, as shown on its website.

When we arrived we were struck by the location, which is excellent, just to the rear of the Waldorf, a short stroll from Park Avenue. The public areas were promising too, done out in quite a stylish manner, but not too glitzy.

Our room was a big disappointment. We had booked a suite that gave us a bedroom for my wife and I and a bed-sofa for our two children. Both rooms had small balconies, though the views weren't fabulous. My main problem with the room was that it looked very tired indeed, with loose fittings in the bathroom and kitchen area and a general down at heel feel to it. We phoned reception and asked what the deal was with the room not being like the one we had booked, and were told that only some of the rooms had been rennovated, and that ours was one that hadn't. We asked to see another available room, and were told that there was only one other that could accomodate us, but that it was identical to the one we had already, and was just two floors higher up the building. We grudgingly accepted the room that we had been given.

Spending time in the room allowed us to see just how poor it really was. The worst thing of all was that it was a room where whatever you did, you seemed to generate enormous amounts of static electricity, so that whenever you touched anything, a shock ensued. We gave up kissing th children, as each time we were left with stinging lips! One evening I was getting their bed ready in the lounge area, and was unrolling the blankets in the dark, as it was late and we wanted to get them to bed. As I let the blanket open out, I could see a shower of small sparks!

Fortunately in the wonderful city that NYC is, we did not spend a great deal of time in the room. However, this was just as well, as it was at best poor.

I would rate the public areas of the hotel as a strong 3-Star, but the room a weak 2-Star, similar to a cheap hotel room in France for example.

The hotel's restaurant is a dark and uninviting area off the main lobby. We ate there one eveining and had a very good meal indeed. We also tried it for lunch on the day of our departure, and found it just as good.

In summary, make sure that you don't get put in the stables, and you will have a gret time at the Kimberley. We can't help feeling let down though, as my wife was very careful to check on the rooms when we booked, and then to be so disappointed on arrival is plain unacceptable.

• Liked — Location in NYC
  • Disliked — The room was apalling and the staff didn't care
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank grumpyguts
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2008

When I was booking my 10 day 30th birthday treat in New York, I wanted something special and not too expensive. This hotel caught my eye and I was immediately seduced by the traveller photos on tripadvisor. However, although it was very cheap for what it seemed to be offering, it was a little more expensive than other hotels in the exact same area, and the money would only be justified if it really was as special as it looked (tripadvisor reviews vouched for the great amount of space, but as I was travelleing alone, charm and fantasy were much more important to me). I decided that it was too much of an expensive gamble and I went for the safe and cheaper bet of a well known chain hotel in the same area, which had raving reviews. Upon arriving in New York, even though I was satisfied with my hotel, I was curious to see 'The Kimberly' for myself (also since I'd fallen in love with New York, I wanted to check it out for future trips!) The staff were without exception immediately very welcoming, and I was shown around several different types of rooms! The lady that showed me around was obviously very proud of the hotel she worked in (that's always a good sign!). I just had to post this review on tripadvisor for all those who think this hotel is 'too good to be true' when they see the pics on the hotel website, and like me, opt for safer options and never discover the beauty of this rare place. The rooms are even more beautiful, spacious, and luxurious than they look on the website. From the gorgeous fluffy bedding to the luxrious carpet that your feet sink into as you enter the room. And so calm and sunny. I thought that being an appartment hotel it would be full of noisy kids, but actually it has more of a 'couples' feel to it than 'family' feel. It would certainly spoil the feel of the place if there were noisy kids running around, but it doesn't seem to have been designed with kids in mind. A word of advice - they have a mixture of dated and more renovated rooms. Personally, I prefer the dated ones (they're very well kept, and I prefer the charm and character of these), but I know some people would hate this decor, so don't forget to request a more modern renovated room if that's the case (I had a look at one of these too, and they are the same as the pics on the hotel website). As I say, I didn't stay here. But I fell in love with this hotel as soon as I saw it, and I thought that maybe there is someone out there reading these reviews, looking for something really unique and special for their trip to New York, and thinking like me, that it all looks too good to be true... I went for the safer option, and I was very lucky with my choice of hotel too, so I don't regret it, but I just thought this place deserved a special mention, since it really is a very special place in a wonderful location. And hopefully, someday soon, I'll be back here, and will be able to write another review...

Stayed January 2008
7 Thank QueenRabbit
Dear New York traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit The Kimberly Hotel during your visit to New York. We really appreciate you posting a review despite not having stayed with us. We are glad you were pleased with the hotel, and we look forward to seeing you again for your next visit to New York.
Cordially,

Texas
Reviewed 22 January 2008

This is an outstanding hotel. The location is excellent and the staff is the best in the world. They were friendly and took time to get to know us. We had a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite and it was more spacious than all of apartments I have lived in. The staff is sooo helpful and recommended restaurants for us that were delicious. I would definately recommend this hotel to everyone and I will stay here again!

• Liked — Great staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank makTexas
Dear Kimberly Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Kimberly Hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The Kimberly staff always appreciates feedback from our guests. We hope to see you again soon.
Best wishes,

Richmond, Va.
Reviewed 2 January 2008

This is the second time I've stayed in this little haven and I can't imagine ever staying anyplace else . It is very quiet, conveniently located to all major attractions, but away from the commotion that some of the larger hotels attract. While the suites don't have designer furnishings, everything is spotless. Staff is very attentive, and without "the attitude".

• Stayed December 2007
1 Thank RTipton
Dear Kimberly Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. We are glad you had another positive experience at The Kimberly Hotel. We look forward to keeping The Kimberly your choice hotel.
Cordially,

Boston
Reviewed 30 December 2007

We really like d the Kimberly. Great location in mid-town right down the street from The Rock. Very friendly staff. Excellent value: 1 bdrm suite with really comfortable king bed, queen pull-out sofabed, balcony, kitchenette. Perfect for family with kids. Will go again.

• Liked — Suite for less than a typical double room in NYC
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 30 December 2007

We stayed at the Kimberly in Suite 8 I for 4 nights over the weekend before Christmas. It was a 3 generation "girls" trip including me (a 30 something mom), my 10 year old daughter, and my 60ish mother. Before we arrived Octavio, a great concierge, was extremelely helpful with our planning & arranging transportation.
The duplex suite was perfect for us. The duplexes have their own "Kimberly Townhouses" elevator just for the 8 floors so we didn't experience any delays. Upon entering you are in the bottom floor bedroom room with king bed, dining table, fridge, large flat screen TV, closet with safe (nicely done - customized w/lots of shelves), spiral staircase, bathroom, 3 windows, & patio door. The downstairs patio is especially great during cooler weather because it protects against wind with 2 half and 2 full walls. There is an umbrella table w/2 chairs. Up the stairs is an enclosed landing with microwave & coffee maker. Entrances to the upstairs bath and bedroom have doorways so privacy was very good between up and down stairs. The upstairs bathroom is identical as downstairs - mostly marble, good tub (can actually bathe in it!), great robes, & a floor heater. The upstairs bedroom is fantastic! King bed, sofa, flat screen, great closet, large desk area w/fax, & 2 doors to an AMAZING balcony. It is very open with great views of 50th St.E. & has an umbrella table w/2 chairs too - but a lot more room than downstairs.
Downsides to the Kimberly..... Problems with water pressure (water went from hot to cold intermittently), problem with upstairs getting hot in the middle of the night (in the winter although heater was turned off), and room service food wasn't consistent - one night had amazing pizza and 2 nights later it was horrible.
Good things besides the room details....The location was just a block from the Waldorf but I think we got a better value. Octavio arranged a car service to and from the airport for us that was very good (around $110 for LGA) and a private tour of the city along with restaurant reservations & vip passes.
We weren't affected by hotel construction noise, just some street noise. The restaurant, Ferro's is under some construction.
We treated my daughter to a great 1st time in NYC-Wicked, Xanadu (highly recommend Stage Seating-it was amazing!), American Girl Place, Tavern on the Green, Met.Museum of Art, Radio City, Top of the Rock, Sardi's, Mars 2112 (amazing experience esp. for kids-not so great food though), & the View Restaurant @ Marriott Marquis. We were so happy to come back to the Kimberly each night!

• Liked — Spacious suite, concierge, location
  • Disliked — Water pressure/temperature issues, service inconsistencies
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family