“Great Hotel”

Ranked #59 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Hartford, Connecticut
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed here two different times in January. Excellent Staff, Big Rooms, Good Price & Great Location. They had valet parking but park across the street & get a coupon from the desk for $28 for 24 hourst. Great rooftop bar with very a view & good appetizers. They were doing facade work while we were there but didn't interfere with our stay at all. Will stay here next time we are in New York.

1 Thank trmom2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Polish first
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed here in January on the recommendation of a friend. This hotel exceeded all of our expectations. We arrived in the city a little earlier than check in time, and was told our room was ready and we were upgraded to a suite! The room was beautiful, spotlessly clean, and very quiet. I couldn't find a thing wrong with this hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a hotel in midtown Manhattan.

1 Thank LI2363
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 3 nights for my birthday and we had a very enjoyable (though not perfect) stay.

The staff were pleasant at check in and friendly for the rest of the stay if not overly effusive. The lobby was a bit strange and there was a lot of construction going on - but there was a tropical fish tank which I personally loved!

On our first morning we went for breakfast in the bar on the 30th floor. The breakfast was tasty and extensive and the view was pretty nice and gave me the chance to oo and aa a bit. On the negative side the roof was a leaky and I felt a bit awkward at times and also the breakfast was crazy expensive!!

The highlight of the stay was the room. It was really lovely. There was so much space and the bed was so amazingly comfortable! The sheets and the duvet were wonderful I could have stayed in bed all day. The heating is as other reviewers have said a bit hit and miss but it kept us warm and cozy most of the time - too hot for me but perfect for my boyfriend. I was pretty unwell during the holiday so having a a good nights sleep really helped me out. The other facilities were pretty good - the bathroom was great but although there was a coffee maker there wasn't a kettle and I couldn't work out how to make tea or honey and lemon...

The area was good for my first stay in New York as it is close to all the 'big' sites. I would stay more down down if I were to go again though.

Overall I would recommend staying here. It is quirky though so if you don't like that go to somewhere more modern.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Princess F
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We love this hotel. Terrific staff, views, easy walking. A range of restaurants in the area made choosing easy at meal times. Loved the tapas in the upstairs bar on a very chilly evening as well. We'll be back.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

After reading plenty of reviews on the Kimberly before we went I was really excited about our stay there, but have to say I was a bit let down by what I saw there myself during our stay.

Firstly, the hotel is in a good location with Rockerfella, Times Square and Grand Central Terminal and other subway stops all within walking distance.

The room itself was ok with a very comfy bed. The windows are thin though and do not keep out the draft that comes with being in NY in January. The heater under the window blows out hot air but if you turn it on to keep you warm before going to sleep you wake up red hot, then you turn it off and you're freezing cold again in an hour. There's no inbetween.

The main source of disappointment for me was the service and attitude of most the staff. I was expecting a lot more after what I'd read before I went. The man who checked us in on the desk wasn't the friendliest and couldn't manage a smile. The doormen out front are helpful and friendly and sort your bags out etc, but due to there being a bar upstairs there are the other type of doormen in front of the hotel aswell. These big blokes stand there giving people dirty looks and looking people up and down as if you are something they trod in. If you've got a suit on and look like you have money to spend and want to go up to their bar they're ok with you, but if you're walking in in jeans and trainers from a day of sightseeing don't expect good manners because you won't get any. A group of 'suits' got to the front door about the same time as me and my wife, the doorman was ever so friendly to them before getting them in the door and almost knocking into my wife to get infront of her to get his customers upstairs.

What they need to realise is there are also customers going in who are paid customers at the hotel, not just going up to the bar. Which by the way, is pretentious and over rated. I am a generous tipper and I know a lot of staff depend on tips, but when I buy 2 bottles of Stella for $16 from an obnoxious bar man who says "do you want the change?" I think he shouldn't ask for it, it's not a god given right. So I said yes I do want the change. If he hadn't asked I'd have given him a tip. This was followed by a filthy look and my change thrown petulantly on the bar. Didn't feel comfortable in there and felt the staff were snobby and looking down on us.

There is a lot of construction going on at the hotel but it didn't affect us due to us not being there in the day. It did the job and gave us a comfy bed to sleep in after a long day sightseeing but that's about it. I wouldn't stay there again next time I go to NY.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andy C
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stayed here twice in 2013: june and october.
Guess where I will stay during my next trip to NYC...

Location is great, staff is helpful, roof is gorgeus, rooms are huge and comfortable. Book the one bedroom suite.

Downstairs restaurant is trendy and cool crowd.
I can't wait to be back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Fedeati
Market Harborough
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We had actually booked at the Waldorf round the corner and then saw the prices here at The Kimberley so changed our booking.
The two double bedded one bedroom suite was really a very good size. Looked as if it has been refreshed quite recently, two good sized TV's, excellent kitchenette complete with dish washer!. Bathroom good but a touch small for the size of the suite. The view is rubbish but more than compensated by the quality of the room.
Nice top floor "Upstairs" on the 30th floor for breakfast which was OK and a super restaurant "Noir" on the ground floor. Some renovations going on in the lobby with a new huge fish tank which will be superb when finished.
At the right price would certainly think to stay again.

Room Tip: Higher floor on the front would offer better views