“Just like returning to family”
Review of The Kimberly Hotel

The Kimberly Hotel
Ranked #59 of 467 Hotels in New York City
N.S.W. Australia
“Just like returning to family”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel three times over the last few months. Every time the service was perfect, the staff could not have been more helpful. For us the room with en suite kitchen was perfect the marble bathroom was roomy indeed the whole (apartment) would be bigger than many New York apartments. Our decor was impeccable. We found the bar up on the top floor served gourmet style snacks to go with the drinks and the breathtaking view of New York skyline. The staff in the bar were slick and extremely pleasant, stopping for a chat about our trip on hearing the Aussie accents. Remembering us on our return. The bed was enormous and very comfortable the linens were perfect. Finally the location for us was perfect, with numerous restaurants and bars within easy walking distance plus shopping. Many of the hotel patrons told us they were on return visits which speaks for itself the quality of the Kimberly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
kimmie145, General Manager at The Kimberly Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for once again choosing to stay with The Kimberly! It is a pleasure to hear that you
enjoyed your spacious room and were able to take advantage of the Upstairs rooftop lounge. We are so glad to have the opportunity to serve you look forward to seeing you again soon.

Mujo Perezic, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Outstanding service. Most of the bell staff has been in p[lace over 10 years. Always improving. New aquarium is a beauty. Great location. Close to East-West Subway (E) and North-South Subway (6). Elevator wait times are long, but the upper floors are quieter so there is the trade-off. Complimentary access to the nearby New York Health and Racquet Club is a real plus.

Room Tip: Upper floors are quieter. B, C, D rooms have the view to the Chrysler Bldg. A, B & E can be la...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
kimmie145, General Manager at The Kimberly Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Kimberly and we are pleased to hear that you
enjoyed your stay and found the location convenient during your visit. We look forward to having
you stay with us again soon.

Jefferson City, Missouri
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I arrived at The Kimberly on Sunday the 20th 2014 for my honeymoon in NYC. First i want to mention I chose the more expensive room called "Deluxe King" I arrived to find an outdated small room with decor that is miss matched from all time periods, no cohesive look to the entire room. Before getting upto the room I asked the front desk if there were any better rooms to upgrade to even if it meant me paying for it. I was told no that our room was the best they had to offer for our stay. We are here one night so on the way to do some walking around Manhattan I asked the front desk to have the sheets changed due to adult fluids being on them. they advised me they would have it taken care of. we come back to the room and pull back the comforter to find nothing has been changed. Literally we can see the areas on the linens I was concerned with. so I have to call and have the night crew come up once we leave again to change them. We were promised the New York Times for free Monday through Friday. I only received this after complaining on Wednesday morning. so 2 days with out the promised paper. the a/c in the room is not temp controlled so it just runs and runs and no way of telling what temp it is in the room. Sad part is I am stuck in this hotel till Friday. I will have to say. One of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Tub is not big enough to use as a couple. which is pretty important during your honeymoon. also shower is pathetic very weak stream and not adjustable. Room service is amazing, great food, although they are out of short ribs all the time. location is great for walking tours. they do not offer a complimentary car service which is weird for a luxury hotel. Door men are not helpful when it comes to flagging down a cab, he actually suggested we walk a block to get one ourselves(awesome suggestion to a handicapped man) idiot. The front desk staff seems very helpful. not sure but they just seem to react once they get a complaint. towels very stiff and not soft, closet is ok but for a lengthy stay like we are very small, smaller than the closet I had growing up when I lived in a trailer. I ate at The London NYC last night and they gave me a free car ride back to The Kimberly.....they offer a rooftop dining experience but never have availability, so maybe they should take that off the list of perks for the hotel. I will def be back to see if improvements are made. or to see if they take this criticism to heart and make changes while im here or next trip. Although next time I will make my reservations directly with the hotel instead of through travelocity so I can leave if dissatisfied. btw I notified hotel I was not happy but nothing they can do because i paid through travelocity. are we serious?

Room Tip: umm not sure I asked for the best and this is the worst hotel I have stayed in for the amount of mon...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank god69father
kimmie145, Director of Sales at The Kimberly Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen The Kimberly for your honeymoon trip. We are very sorry that you are not having a perfect stay with us as it is our goal to always have a satisfied customer.

The room you booked for your honeymoon was our least expensive category. We wish you had advised us prior to your arrival that this was a honeymoon so that we could have made efforts to upgrade you prior to your arrival. Unfortunately this week has been completely sold out so we could not offer any kind of upgrade when you requested it. Because you paid for your hotel directly with a third party, we cannot offer refunds on your payment, but we have made some concessions for your return visit with us.

The New York Times is delivered to our rooms by a company they use and to whom we provide a list of occupied rooms. I have verified and your room was indeed on the list so we will follow up with them to advise of the error and to ensure that this will not happen in the future. Though we do not have tubs that fit two people, we do have larger soaking tubs in our executive guestrooms which we usually recommend for our honeymooners when contacted directly.

Our doormen usually get the best compliments, so I am disappointed that you did not find them helpful. Usually the only time they recommend going half a block to the avenue, is when the wait becomes too long, as the volume of cabs on the avenue is always heavier than that on NYC’s side streets. I double checked and our rooftop has not been closed for private events all week. However, it is a very popular Manhattan spot and is in high demand particularly in the summer months. As a guest of The Kimberly, you have priority and our Concierge will do their very best to squeeze you in at a time that works best, so please do let us know.

We hope that with the change of room we offered that you have managed to feel more comfortable. As we have discussed, we would love to have you return to stay with us, so please contact me directly to book your return visit.

Marcia Skyers-James
Director of Sales & Marketing
The Kimberly Hotel
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Family of four ( 2 adults 2 teenagers) had plenty of room for weekend stay, April 2014. Kitchenette/wet bar very accommodating for snacks that we picked up along the way. Rooms were clean, however some updating could be used. Outside front renovations were occurring, but did not impede our trip. Staff very friendly, especially the doormen. Great location enabled us to walk just about everywhere.

Room Tip: For a quieter room ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
kimmie145, General Manager at The Kimberly Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Kimberly and we are so glad to hear that you and your
family enjoyed your recent stay! We are also pleased to inform you that our renovations are complete and look forward to having you back to again soon.

Albany, New York
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I and my wife stayed July 4th, 5th and 6th on an executive one bed room suite 21B. The living room, and the bed room are very spacious, and indeed open to a balcony, well furnished and nice. The kitchenette kitchenette was long and nice with a dining area with normal amenities. Through the hotel and Angie at Concierge Dept, we were able to book a Cruise using the NYHRC Yacht for the July 4th fireworks under Brooklyn Bridge.

The only ugly thing in the rooms were these oversized floor mounted heating and cooling units, just in front of very large beautiful windows. My suite had no central climate control or temperature control except those units. They worked fine, but ugly, not in resonance with the high ceiling gorgeous room decor.

The corridors are narrow and claustrophobic that they remind you of horror films.

The bathroom, though marble covered, it is so tiny, it can barely fit the sink, toilet and the bathtub. It makes no sense to have such a suite with large beautiful living and bed rooms with a tiny bath room. During renovations, the hotel easily could have extended the bath room using the adjacent closets. There are so many closets that no one will have use for all the closet space. The front desk staff showed us another one bed room suite with a renovated very nice large bath room, but here the living room and bed room were very small!

Nowhere it is stated that the roof top bar has dress requirements in the evenings for cocktails, even though the hotel encourages its guests to use the Upstairs bar. It is fine to have a dress code for a cocktail lounge, but please let your guests know in advance. Why do you create an uncomfortable situation in which the bar has to decline admitting its own hotel guests because they are wearing sneakers. Just mention the dress code in the Welcome Letter, or the Service binder kept in the room.

Basically this is a good property that is not being managed well, and the renovations were not planned well. To indicate how sloppy they are, I sent two emails to them (one to the front desk via Concierge Dept. and one to the manager) for which I did not even receive acknowledgements. The Concierge Dept. works excellent in a very responsible way; the Bell Captain Dept works fine, but the others lack urgency and commitment.

Room Tip: It is old charming building, despite renovations, shows it is tired
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ramaswamy_12
kimmie145, General Manager at The Kimberly Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recently choosing to stay at The Kimberly during your holiday weekend. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your spacious suite and were able to hop aboard the NYHRC yacht. I apologize that you were unhappy with the size of your bathroom; please contact the hotel directly to make your next reservation so we can address and note your request for a larger bathroom. I apologize for the lack of communication you experienced with the Upstairs dress code. Thank you for your feedback and we will be sure to update information to address the dress requirements for the Upstairs rooftop lounge. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Quaint old hotel style, but not old and musty feeling. Clean and beautiful full of charm! Great staff, friendly and helpful! Best part is the location…easy walking distance to so many things! I've stayed there twice and highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzie B
kimmie145, General Manager at The Kimberly Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at The Kimberly and thank you for choosing
to stay with us during your visit. The convenient location and friendly staff are just a few of the
highlights that make The Kimberly great and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just realised that I haven't yet reviewed this hotel - from my stay in May 2013.

Stayed for 6 nights with parents and my 14 year old son. Absolutely amazing stay. We had a suite with one extremely large bedroom (capable of easily sleeping 4 people), large lounge - with dining area, kitchenette (including cooker, fridge / freezer, dishwasher and all the cutlery and crockery you need), spacious bathroom, more than ample storage, and the crowing glory - was the balcony with a view.

This hotel was very centrally located - round the corner from the Waldorf Astoria, with very easy access to several metro stops, cafe's, banks, bagel shops, restaurants etc.

The bar / breakfast room on the roof was fantastic when entertaining family and friends.

The lobby entrance was luxurious and the staff were extremely friendly.

For the price you pay - this was a complete bargain in New York City.

Would be the only place I stay on future visits.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with The Kimberly! We appreciate that you were so pleased with your stay and found our rooms spacious and luxurious during your visit. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.