“Management made the difference...”
Review of The Kimberly Hotel

The Kimberly Hotel
Ranked #17 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

My mom and I recently stayed at The Kimberly. Overall, it is a lovely hotel in a prime location. We booked our room through a third party travel site, so I knew very little about the property prior to our stay. Check in was smooth. Our room wasn't ready upon arrival, so we went down the block for lunch and returned about an hour later and it was ready. We requested two doubles, but our reservation made no guarantee, and all that was available was a king. Not a big deal, since the reservation was not made directly with the hotel. We dropped our bags in the room, then headed out for the remainder of the day. It was upon our return, when going to bed, that we discovered a situation in the room that led us to believe the room had not been properly cleaned. I altered management immediately the following morning (it was too late that evening and we were already dressed for bed). The female manager on duty was extremely attentive, and changed our room immediately (this time to a large double bed room). She also offered us free breakfast for the remainder of our stay, which was more than nice. We did not take advantage of the breakfast however, because we felt like the room change was enough. The remainder of our stay was wonderful. Our final day, our flight wasn't until that evening, so we stored our luggage at the hotel. It was once we retrieved our luggage, that my mom noticed a large scratch on the side of her suitcase that had not been there. Again, the management seemed extremely caring and did everything they could to resolve the issue. I think this hotel has many wonderful aspects...location, room size, and the management. Even with the speed bumps we encountered, we enjoyed our stay here. And I wish I had gotten the door mans name that was there the majority of our stay. He always greeted us with a hello and a smile!

Stayed: August 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (2,060)

995 - 1,001 of 2,060 reviews

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was a tough review to put together (you will realise why as you read along). We spend 6 nights at this hotel. Family of 4 (2 kids) and we took up their 1-Bed Suites. So here goes -

Location - Perfect, ideal for everything. Near Time Square, Central Park, the Metro, Shopping etc.

Facilities - Limited, but then we knew this while booking it so not a big deal. They have room service and a restaurant/bar but we never used any.

Rooms - Spacious. Small kitchenette (more like a cupboard than a kitchenette). Decor was old and disappointed because their website says newly refurbished. But since we spent little time there we did not mind too much.

Housekeeping - very very very poor... this was a main negative of the entire stay. The rooms were never properly cleaned. We did ask a few times for things to be redone but got tired of asking eventually.

Staff - very friendly and helpful.

Price - extremely good for the space and location.

Would we stay there again? Probably not, but that is more to do with our taste in hotels and this one does not fit that category. We thought it did based on photos, reviews and website - but know better now. That said, we met a number of regulars who love the place.

Room Tip: Go for the higher floor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank s s
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is my first stay in this hotel. I was booked in a deluxe guestroom and I was surprise to see the room which does not meet my expectation, located at the corner and no view at all. I went down to front office and Kirt Barrington showed me a suite on the second floor and told me we will transfer there without any additional charge. That made my day after few hours of waiting for a room. That's a great example of customer service. The place is sorrounded by restaurants and subway is just a few steps away. Very convenient for a stay in New York.

Room Tip: Book a room ahead of time and should indicate high floors with a view from facing the street.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The hotel overall was very nice! There is no POOL or Fitness center, only the option to use a nearby racquet club facility. My kids were not happy! Check in was easy, the hotel aquarium is beuatiful, my only complaint with service was a rude young woman "Brucette" who elected to argue with us about missing "Free" bottles of water. The hotel was close enough to TImes Square yet fare enough away for a bit of solitude. The rooms are very nicely decorated, the sleeper sofa sleeps horribly however the king bed was wonderful. Enjoyed the neutrogena products and the electronic shoe polisher. WIll I stay again, No! THis hotel would suit the business traveler, couples, singles or the elderly; not a family hotel at least not with younger children. Oh, skip the NY Luncheonette next door, they do not use real ham steak and serve spoiled milk.

Room Tip: 19th floor poor view! You can see into other bedrooms, not good with children..
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SSmith30
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is a terrific boutique hotel. I've stayed there multiple times and is my "go to" hotel when visiting New York City. The hotel is near everything, or a subway ride away. Staff is friendly (except thought the rooftop bar people a bit snooty) and helpful. Furnishings are nice, comfortable beds and rooms are much bigger than other NYC hotels. I"ve tried other hotels in the area when the Kimberly wasn't available and always wish I could have stayed there instead.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night. We were pleased with how friendly the staff was in a charming European atmosphere. Room was clean and comfortable. Bathroom was larger than expected with a raindrop showerhead and marble tiles throughout, it felt sophisticated and elegant. The room included a hidden kitchen area that even had a dishwasher! The only issue was the air conditioning was not strong enough to keep the room cool for the 8th floor.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Just had a fabulous stay at The Kimberly in NYC, and it exceeded my expectations. Was in an excellent location and was the perfect combination of both excellent service and facilities. Rooms/suites are all equipped with top notch amenities and are larger than expected, especially for a boutique hotel in the city. Very reasonable rates and all the service personnel I encountered were both pleasant and accommodating. An incredible feature was the rooftop lounge which we really enjoyed despite it being jam-packed for a Thursday night in the summer! But service was still very attentive despite the large crowd, and you can't beat the view and ambiance that this rooftop holds. Great vibe upstairs that included a good mix of business crowd and visitors. Highly recommend you make the time to include drinks on the rooftop during your stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business